Thread: Welcome to Adolescence

Silver Member

Welcome to Adolescence

A number of recent threads have touched on the topic of the differences in the psychological experience pre versus post hormones, wondering about obsession in one case, the continuation of GD in another. The pattern is early relief, followed by renewed psychological pressure. FWIW, the following is adapted from a note I sent to someone recently.

Superficially, the mental and emotional state before and after starting hormones may seem the same in several respects. After all, the inner dialogue continues to run. Depression may still rear its head. And even if you are not feeling driven by things like dressing, new "compulsions" seemingly take their place.

But it is not the same. The difference is that the inner drive and behavior turns to self actualization. It's useful to compare it to adolescence. People like to focus on aspects of awkwardness, emotional turmoil, and things like that. From another perspective, it is about the inborn drive to become – or fulfill – what you are. A boy struggles and fights to become a man, a girl a woman. The experience for many is excruciating, not just because of hormonal change, but because they are constantly fighting the change from what they were to what they must be. Such a teenager wants to have everything both ways. The security of childhood life. Support entitlement. The freedom of adulthood. The freedom to choose at will whether to play and ignore serious things or to buckle down. All the while, everything in life, internal as well as external, conspires to press them them down the path to adulthood.

What happens when a teen ignores the promptings of responsibility and mature relationships, the relentess pressure to adapt and change? Forget social consequences. What happens inside? When this happens because of clinging to childhood attitudes, roles and relationships, the result is rebellion and psychological fallout, including avoidance, brooding, and depression. Sound familiar?

For most of us, things converge to a happy ending as we gain enough experience under our new physicality and psychological state. It's useful to remember that it is impossible for anyone to suddenly become an adult. The process itself is essential. And so it is with gaining experience to a person transitioning. "The path" is analogous to the growth process. Ignore the path, neglect it, or step off it and pay the consequences. Stay on it sufficiently (as measured by the consequences or lack thereof) and you feel normal. This is one of the things that distinguishes this experience from adolescence, at least for a late transitioner. At least you have a clue what normal is like!

None of this means that you are somehow going to be instantly aware of the differences between normal development and obsession, of course. I became aware that normal development was in play when certain psychological patterns suddenly disappeared. I was thinking and reacting very differently and didn't know why. That is, until it dawned on me one day that I was making decisions in my best interests unthinkingly ... i.e., what the majority of population manages to do all the time, but which was completely foreign to me. Not only no obsessing over what to do, but no conscious thought about it. And when I DID think about it, the decision merely seemed obvious.

Sometimes I comment that the path is self-correcting. It validates those who need to stay on it. It disincents those who should not be on it from continuing. If you feel the need to press on, then press on. You will know when or if to stop. Don't try to predict the end point. Don't make promises you cannot keep. Continue to see what works and what does not. It is about that simple.

And, to another frequent topic of late, don't replace pre-hormones obsessions with new ones about day-to-day obserations about hormonal change!
    Lea

Quote Originally Posted by LeaP View Post
    For most of us, things converge to a happy ending as we gain enough experience under our new physicality and psychological state. It's useful to remember that it is impossible for anyone to suddenly become an adult. The process itself is essential.
    Excellent write-up Lea! Your take-away quote is “The process itself is essential”. I’m finding this to be 100% true! I’m also discovering that the today isn’t a measuring stick of the month or the year, it’s just one day’s worth of experiences, feelings, emotions, interactions. Do not change course on a bad day or due to possible dysphoria and/or depression coming back in to the picture after HRT has started. Go to the therapist to untangle the emotional issues while on your journey. Comorbidity. It’s OK for this to be a process. HRT isn’t a panacea but it does indeed set us on a much smoother road to our goals of reaching the other gender.

Remember, it’s a daily thing. Enjoy the ride! Even the roughest parts are good to experience (mainly self-inflicted fears) as it will make you wiser and a stronger woman on the other side.
    Thankful for crossdressers.com, great people here have helped me realize who I really am on the inside. (formerly michelle1)

Banned Read only
    In thirty years you will look back and wonder why there was so much drama surrounding the taking of a pill. You will ask, when was I ever male?

Silver Member
    I don't know if I'll make it another 30 years, Jorja.
    Lea

The gender dysphoria distorted my adolescence. I had the preoccupation with the self but for different reasons. I could not use others in the building of my own identity because of the gender identity crisis I was living in. The painful self consciousness of adolescence came out of something very different in me than what was driving it in others.

Gender dysphoria and adolescence are a deadly combination. What was there since childhood and made worse by adolescence never really ended. You stay in a perpetual crisis and living this way becomes the norm.

The contrast to that past norm and the absence of that crisis in the "now" has pushed me into a type of change I don't understand.

I'm trying to figure out who I am but I don't have the fear from the question that always accompanied the need in the past because now it is "answerable"

I have lost something (things) that I could do before but gained something (things) that I could not do before "but can now", yet I can only feel this truth without understanding exactly what it is or can do. My personality has gone through a remarkable change in the last four years but it's hard to see because I don't remember "who I was".

Maybe when you live outside your gender there is no "who" until you transition. No concrete fixed identity and it is this absence that makes us so fragile and unknowable to ourselves.

I think of a snake that sheds it's skin so that it can grow. Through transitioning I shook off the constraints that were preventing my growth.

Now I keep walking through doors and entering new rooms versus the past where I was locked in one room and could not get out.

I like this way of being and living but I have'nt a clue to what is behind any door I encounter.

It's good to be alive and I have'nt always thought or felt that way.
    The Psychology of Conformity
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARGczzoPASo

Mars brain, Venus brain: John Gray at TEDxBend
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuM7ZS7nodk

Aspiring Member
    Lea that is twice that your post has hit spot on with what is going on in my own head. The real issue for me is as a child your parents try to tell you and you still refuse but with this I am an adult and I know what is going on and yet I still put myself through it. The obsession keeps changing trying to alleviate the anxiety that I refuse to do anything about. It clings to stuff and the emotional roller coaster is not fun. Even as I write this though and I know what I need to do I still stand still making excuses wanting both lives. I wish that the decisions would take no conscious effort, that may free my mind up to relax and take a break. Anyways thanx for the great thought I for sure see myself at the point of wanting self actualization and almost needing it.
    Professional thread killer.

Adolescence is hell on normal kids, hormones raging, emotions out of control, falling in lust, falling in love with those who don't love you....

But for a transsexual, it can be even more horrible. Your body is changing, but not the way you want it to. You are attracted to both boys and girls, and can't express any of those feelings to anyone either. People think you gay because you are so effeminate, and the most dangerous are those who are attracted to you because of your femininity. The thought of spending the rest of your life, or even eternity, trapped in a man's body, is something so horrible it can make you want to do something rash. Thank goodness transition is easier to get these days. Still, when parents are unsupportive or make homophobic or transphobic remarks, it can be enough to keep a child from speaking up, or from letting her parents know how severe the situation really is.

When I told my parents back in the 60s, they found out that the cure was daily shock therapy - for a few months at a time, torture, and lobotomy. No parent would willingly send there child to such horrors. They were supportive of my cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, sewing, and knitting, but not of looking and acting like a girl, even though I acted more like a girl - so it really came down to looks.

When I was 14, I found out had a bass voice, I was growing hair everywhere, and hated it, I was getting too tall to fit mom's clothes, and even though I had 38, 28, 40 measurements, I didn't have boobs, and I wasn't going to get any soon. I had a permanent problem for which their seemed to be no solution.

Back then, SRS was primitive, HRT was hard to get, a doctor in Colorado could lose his medical license and his hospital privileges for providing HRT or performing an orchiectomy. To get "the operation" one had to go to Sweden or Denmark, and even then it was tricky. The few universities doing research and offering transition assistance were very covert about it. It was almost more secret than military strategies, UFOs or Remote Viewing.

For me, reincarnation seemed to be the only option. But suicide was bad karma, and I could end up coming back as a girl in a Muslim country or a place where female circumcision and cliterodectomy was widely practiced. There was even a black magic spell - but it involved killing yourself and nearly killing your host. Not a good option to even think about.
    Facebook - Debbie Lawrence
    Web - [URL="http://www.debbieballard.org"]DebbieBallard.org{/URL]
    See also:
    Open4Success