Thread: I was out dressed androgenously this weekend

Reality Check

I was out dressed androgenously this weekend

"I was out dressed androgenously this weekend". No not me, that's not my style. I'm either male or female when out in public, most often male.

Each time I read this statement though, I wonder "why?" Is it to confuse people? Is it to shock people?Is it like crossdressing but different in some way? Is it to impress women? Is it to impress men?

So if you're one to dress androgenously in public, would you mind posting why you chose to do so? Please satisfy my curiosity.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    For me when I mix my wardrobe it's more like shoes and maybe a top that goes either way and once in a while some not so obvious makeup. For me I just like the comfort of the clothes and style

Most days the ONLY piece of male clothing I wear is a shirt (a women's shirt would be obvious because of the way it buttons). Otherwise, every other piece of clothing I wear is from the women's department. But I'm careful that the pants have rear pockets for my wallet, and belt loops for my plain women's belt. (And whenever I can find a 12 or 14 with a 37" inseam, the pants fit better than anything from a "big and tall" shop for men.) As long as I keep the pants and shoes rather plain, I can be "mostly crossdressed" all the time, without having to declare it to the world (or exceed the boundaries of my DADT relationship).

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    Hi Krisi-

I mostly do gender non-conforming behaviors and only occasionally fully cross dress. Some may say, especially when described online, that I present an androgynous look. I don't think I look androgynous though. People are never confused as to my gender. When I am dressed as a guy, everyone knows I am a guy. When I dress as a woman, there are those that say I pass fairly well. I think I pass the glance test only!

Anyway, while dressed as a guy I:
    - keep my finger and toe nails painted
    - keep my body hair shaved
    - carry a female's wallet
    - have my ears pierced and wear small steel hoops all the time
    - I wear fem smelling lotions
    - wear female jewelry - most notably my diamond and sapphire wedding ring
    - occasionally I will wear various fem clothing items, undershirts, tank tops, shorts, shoes

So, maybe sounds a bit androgynous huh? Or maybe a bit out and out fem! But no, no one confuses me for a female. What do they see? Gender non-conforming behaviors.

Okay, big intro to say what? Maybe try and answer your question of why?

I am not interested in confusing people. I am not interested in shocking others. I am not interested in impressing others.

I suppose it is like cross dressing in that it is something I have felt compelled to do for my entire life. For me, it is far more natural and normal than fully cross dressing. Mentally on some sort of spectrum between male and female, I think I am somewhere in the middle. I am not interested in becoming a woman full time, nor am I interested in giving up my gender non-conforming behaviors and being traditional in my male appearance. I cannot explain why I choose to do what I do, all I can say is that I have always felt compelled to do it. Thus I allow myself to do what has come naturally to me, regardless of how others may perceive me.

Does any of this make any sense to anyone but me?? Why knows!

I do this quite often just because I like to dress that way. I also do it as an experiment for myself to see what helps me to pass. I judge this by interacting to see what pronouns people use and their reactions. I know it is not a perfect experiment but I am pretty good a interpreting peoples reactions i.e. whether they arw serious or having doubts. Sometimes we can dress to the "nines" and still not pass. I am always searching for those little things that make a difference. I have been surprised at how little I change and still be peeceived as a female. Its all in fun. Hugs Riki

Like Rikidee, because I like to. There is so much more variety in both fabric and colors. I've been complemented on a few of my tops (usually by women) and while not very feminine those who pay attention can tell, either by the buttons, sleeve lengths or shaping. Same with the shoes I wear, not heels but I wear clogs and slip-ons and I haven't had anyone really challenge me. Actually my son commented on my leather clogs, but my daughter told him off for me.
    Confidence is the key, if you're comfortable with what you're wearing, own it.

Nadine I alwayalways read your posts and I like your style and comments. I think many times I fit into your "gender non-conforming" arena. I just like to wear what I like to wear. Hugs Riki

Platinum Member
    I tried the androgynous look for a while. I don't know how often it was noticed or if people found my appearance incongruous....but I found my own appearance incongruous. I felt much more comfortable going out fully en femme.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I had to think about this one for a while. I've been crossdressing for decades. I don't think there's a facet of it that I haven't explored. I can't tell you where it will take me in a year or even a week, but for right now, androgynous is very much my thing. Inconsistently androgynous at that. Could be one thing like nail polish or any combination of things falling just short of full-on fem.

I don't really know why it seems to suit me so perfectly right now. I guess for one thing since I cut my hair I haven't been happy about the way I look when I'm completely done. Often it doesn't seem worth all the effort. Yet, I'm still driven to do something. It's a step above underdressing. You know, wearing panties just so there's always a fem element even if nobody can see it. A few years ago I got into purses. I'm not talking man bags here. I'm talking make-no-mistake-about-it woman's purses, and I love carrying a purse. Same with polished nails. I really get more enjoyment out of having polished nails in androgynous mode than in fem mode. I could go on through the list. I don't wear skirts or dresses in androgynous mode, but just about anything else is fair game.

I don't know that I'm doing it "for" anybody but myself. From a sexuality standpoint I'm pretty much right in the middle right now, and the way I dress is probably a pretty accurate representation of that. However, dressing androgynously doesn't make me attractive to both men and women. It pretty much makes me attractive to no one, so it better be just for me.

To start with, I enjoy wearing high heels, lingerie, stockings, skirts and female attire in general, so it allows me to do it on a daily basis without worrying about trying to pass or anything. So my typical day, I can be found wearing a bra, panties, some form of women's pants and high heels or wedge sneakers with a men's shirt. I am presenting as male with my beard and all, but get the enjoyment of wearing what I feel the most comfortable in on a more regular basis.

I don't really think of it as androgynous, but it turns out that way.

I used to be very paranoid about doing anything the least bit feminine while in male mode. Levi's 501s and polo shirts were my normal attire, along with hiking boots.

I came to realize that I felt more comfortable (both physically and mentally) in clothes from the women's side of the aisle. I underdressed (panties only) and started to wear plain women's jeans along with women's athletic shoes. None of these were distinctly female but I felt better. I like the print tees I pick up at Kohl's and some of them are acceptable in male mode. I have my ears pierced and started out to wear subtle studs. I found I liked expressing myself that way so I now have a collection of more interesting studs. I've been letting my hair grow out. Long hair on men isn't all that unusual but it is a visual cue. I carry a mini messenger bag which is also a cue. Add all these together and occasionally I get ma'amed even without makeup.

My goal isn't to confuse people and I don't get upset with being misgendered either way. I just enjoy wearing the things I want to wear.

Now, when I go out en femme there is no chance of misgendering. I dress in distinctly feminine tops or dresses, feminine shoes, etc.
    Last edited by Eryn; 11-04-2014 at 01:31 AM.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

When out and about I dress to be comfortable and enjoy myself.
    See my thread in the picture gallery.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Reality Check
    Thanks for the replies people. It seems it's much like why we crossdress - all over the place.

Me, I have pierced ears but wear 'male" earrings. I wear jeans from the women's depatment but they are not overly feminine and not decorated or "skinny jeans". I usually have clear nail polish. I wear women's panties (plain, not fancy) most of the time.

I've never considered the above "androgynous" though and except for the earings, nobody has ever commented or given me a second glance.

Around here, a guy wearing makeup or skinny jeans would be clocked as "gay" by most folks.

Banned Read only
    I often dress 'on the edge'. Usually in the fall and winter I'll wear guy's tight jeans and a woman's Moncler Berre or Duvetica Adhara down jacket in black...VERY feminine and I must say absolutely gorgeous (Yikes, did I just say 'gorgeous'); fit is typical with designer stuff but they can go either way in black, right? I love heels and a purse ROCKS but the overhead of makeup and hair is such a pain. I do it to for the women though completely; I really like interacting with other women as a woman; completely disinterested in sex. I have NO problem being feminine around other women at all but around guys...I'm completely bar fight, truck driving, rig pig masculine

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I'm a mix clothing wise and its what I want to wear no one seems to notice and rarely comment on what I wear.
    Some times its a femme top button up/pull over or a tee.Always femme jeans even the fancy back pocket ones because I like the bling sometimes.
    Womens sneakers or shoes/boots all the time as well.
    Am I trying to fool anyone?.........No not at all.Am I trying to be different to get attention?.......No not in the least.
    My friends and yes even guy friends I'm sure notice it but they never say anything derogatory about what I wear They are used to it so its a non issue.
    Had dinner with some guy friends and their wives/ girl friends and only one comment on my pale pink painted fingernails and that was from one of the guys.
    He said its not clear like usual and I said well have to change it up every now and then.
    Again non issue really.
    I dress in what I prefer whether its male or female. Its all how I feel at the moment.

I mix my clothing just because I like to and don't really care anymore. I have particularly found ballet flats to be a very comfortable shoe and wear very often and openly. Many other things in my closet are from the women's department as well - shorts, jeans, leggings, etc. I really don't do it to make a statement--other than to show that men can wear these things too. It is just comfortable and what I like to wear. Period.

I dress the full range. From full male (button down shirt, tie, jacket) to full feminine (dress, nylons, make up, breast forms). However, most of he time it. Is a mix. I can do this since I telecommute to work. I always have on dangling earrings on and most of the time nail polish. My paints and tops come from both men's and women's departments.

Now to answer the question I dress like this because I like the way I look. I have never received a negative comment (to my face). In fact I have received compliments on my tops, jewelry and my nails.

Richelle

From July to October my wife and I took our RV and went west to the national parks.

I dress androgynous the whole trip.

It was wonderful. and so relaxing.

I like that "Iowa farm wife" look.

chic jeans, JMS tops, vf panties.... sometimes I wore clogs but they hurt my feet.

When we got home, I suffered a pulumary embolisn and went to the hospital.... I was wearing vf panties, my wife brought me some cotton panties from home to wear.

Often the question "Why?" comes up in regards to what motivates the specific crossdressing style people have. Why a man in a skirt, why boxers under a dress, why the French maid costume?, etc and so forth. I believe the OP to be "innocently" asking the question, and wish not to pounce on this thread as a personal thing, it is for all of us!
    If we ever expect the general public to accept or even mildly tolerate us (as a whole) then we need to start tolerating each other. If you don't know what motivates you to be a crossdresser, trans* or whatever you call yourself, then why do you assume anybody else here knows themselves?
    I am exactly an angro/male presenting female most of the time. I don't know why I feel better this way or what "caused" it, other than it isn't some sexual perversion or hobby/addiction. I do not have an agenda for the general public when I present as I do. If I thought too much about who I might offend or in which specific way, then I would be unable to live in any context, outside of CDing included: Kill a fly, offend a buddist, vote one way, offend the opposing party, eat a burger, offend a vegan... the list is never ending, and none of us can be held to these impossible parameters.
    If you are not hurting anyone by it, then dress as YOU please, It is not "about" anyone else, especially the muggles we don't even know!