Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I came out to my family, and it was the biggest fiasco

I came out to my family, and it was the biggest fiasco

I came out to my family this weekend. On Saturday, November 1, 2014, at 10:00 am, I sent my coming out letter via email to my dad and brother. My mom does not have access to email, so she did not receive the email. I instructed them in the letter to tell Mom, or to at least let me read it myself to Mom.

My brother at first seemed to react fine. He said that he will support me in my transition, and that I am in a good place for LGBT people in California. He asked me lots of questions about how I felt with respect to my body and identity, and about how I am modifying my body to become female. He asked me about electrolysis, laser, hormones, waxing, shaving, eyebrows, legal name change, how I dress, am I out at work, and questions about the past as well. He said it will take him time to get used to the change, but he will eventually be able to accept me as a woman and that technically I am his sister.

He also said that it explains a lot of things. He, my mom, and my dad, all thought I was gay. He and my mom both noticed that my behavior and mannerisms was always on the feminine side since I was little.

He said my dad was not very happy and that they haven't told my mom yet.

Yesterday afternoon, I spoke with my father over the phone. He was completely outraged by this. He said a barrage of nasty things to me, and was not only transphobic but showing his typical emotional abusive behavioral pattern. Here are a few of the things he said.

1. That I should look for a better job, and look outside of the L.A. area. He has given me four such lectures in the past, including one three weeks ago.

2. That I am going down a path of self-destruction. Sex change to him is a path of self-destruction.

3. That psychologists are liberals and only say what you want to hear. Psychologists never try to challenge you.

4. That the LGBT community people aren't my friends, and that the only ones who care about me are him, my mom, and my brother.
    Btw, this one really smacks of his emotional abuse pattern.

5. That people who really love you will give you tough love and not encouragement.

6. That I am only thinking myself into being trans because I somehow felt inadequate as a man.

7. That I should start taking male hormones and go for reverse therapy to become a better man.

8. He emphasized the word "man" a lot.

9. That I should stop taking female hormones and stop my transition.

10. That he will never call me Michelle.
    Btw, I bet he now hates that name.

11. That I will always be his son, and he will never recognize me as his daughter.

12. That I am not welcome at his funeral if I continue down this path.

13. That I am to never tell any relatives.

14. That I am to never visit them dressed as a woman, and that I will never visit that town dressed as a woman. He is afraid that word will get around and that people will think of us in a terrible way.

15. He asked me how tall I am, and I said 6 foot. He told me that as a 6 foot woman that I will never pass, and always be read as trans.

16. That as a 6 foot tall woman, that only bigger men will ever date me, and they will beat the shit out of me and make my life miserable.

17. That I am experiencing some kind of smoke right now in my head.

18. He will not disown me or stop talking to me, but he does not accept me being trans.

19. He never noticed anything feminine about me, and never thought I was gay.
    Btw, what a lie. 12 years ago, he threatened to disown me if I was gay.

After we hung up the phone, a few minutes later, he left me another nasty message, and this one really pissed me off and smacks of his emotional abuse.

He told me that I am to never tell my mother. He is afraid that she will verbally assault him every day for the rest of his life if she knows, and he is afraid that she will blab this to the whole town and everyone will know.

Several hours later I spoke with my brother, who urged me to consider the male hormone treatment. He also said that dad is wrong about not telling mom, and that we should definitely tell mom. He is very much in a quandry about what to do about this.

I saw my therapist this morning, and told her all about this. She was very outraged at the words of my father. We both agreed that my dad is an emotional abuser. I also spoke about how my dad beat my mom 7 times in the past, from about 2000 to 2006. My dad also instills fear verbally and will sometimes talk in a manner where he won't hit anyone but looks like he is about to assault someone.

My mom does not yet know about this, and I would like to tell her within the next few days. I will be reading the letter to her myself over the phone, with my brother hopefully in the room to comfort her, without dad present.

I have also made a decision that I am disowning my father, and will never speak to him again. I am done with him. Because he is transphobic. Because he doesn't accept me as Michelle. Because he is an emotional abuser who instills fear in all of us. Because he has perpetrated domestic violence in the past.

I am fortunate to live 3000 miles away from them so I don't see them in person very often. My brother and mom aren't so lucky. I honestly believe my father should have gone to jail years ago for domestic violence.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

Reality Check
    email is not the best way to bring something like this up. You should have had the courage to talk to the face to face or at leas by telephone if the distance is a problem.

Disowning your father only makes you just as intolerant as you believe he is. Getting an email from you on something this important left him no time to really think about it and you weren't there to answer questions.

As for your therapist, a therapist is like a consultant in the business world. Someone you pay to tell you things you want to hear. Remember the therapist only heard your side of the story.

What's done is done but I suggest you try to iron things out as best you can.

I am so sorry, you are doing the right thing, you are being your self, it sound like your brother is well versed asking all the right question, like he has some experience in this. I would not expect my brother so well versed.

Banned Read only
    Well, all I can say is, thems the brakes. Sometimes it happens that way. Obviously you are over the age of 21. What do you want for yourself. Do you honestly and whole heartily believe you are a woman? Make your decisions about yourself for you, not them.

While your father sounds like a complete jerk, don't count him out of your life yet. It sounds like a "normal" father reaction. You have to remember, while transsexuals were around in his day, they were kept in the basement or root cellar when company came calling. It is ok when it is somebody else. It is a whole different story when it is your little boy.

Don't allow him and his transphobic rant to have any effect on how you chose to live your life, transition or not.

Ouch. First and foremost, I'm sorry to hear it. I'll try to weigh in with more when I'm not tied up with work but unfortunately it all sounds very familiar. My father's reaction was similar and hasn't gotten any better over the past five years. I guess I was lucky that he and my mother split up decades earlier, and that my brother and sister aren't related to him.

Stay safe and do what you must to protect yourself emotionally. I don't get the need to disavow him, especially since your mother and brother still maintain ties. It might be better to let him be the unreasonable one and leave a path to reconciliation open even if you know he'll never take it ... but then I never had to put up with the abuse angle, so it may serve some purpose in moving forward for you.

May this be the last big, scary disappointment in your transition. Warmest wishes for a brighter future,
    ~ Kimberly

“To escape criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing." - Elbert Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    As for your therapist, a therapist is like a consultant in the business world. Someone you pay to tell you things you want to hear. Remember the therapist only heard your side of the story.
    Any therapist that practices in this way should not only have there license revoked buy be brought up on criminal charges. A therapist is exactly there to challenge how you think and help you too analyze thoughts, emotions, feelings, and life situations.

Michelle, you didn't do anything wrong by sending an email to your father. It sucks but sometimes people will not be accepting, that isn't always permanent though. II think that you absolutely need to talk with your mother, it's no right of your father's to try and stop you. But if you are afraid for her safety do you have any close friends or your brother that is able to check in with her and make sure everything is ok?

That is the same reaction I would expect from my father but I doubt I will ever come out to him. We haven't spoken in nearly five years because of along history of violence, alcoholism, and manipulation all throughout when my brothers and I were growing up. My parents being separated did make me able to come out to my mom without having to be afraid for her safety.

So keep it up and just know we are here for you.

Aw, Michelle. Sorry to hear it didnt go well with Dad. Hes not really a people person, is he? I can guess at some of his issues, but only you really know him here, and can decide the best course of action for yourself. He may even mean well in his own way, but if his way of caring does more harm than good, then you know what your options are, and how much you are willing to put up with. Im glad your brother has a level head, and hopefully your mother does too.
    Last edited by Andy66; 11-03-2014 at 06:45 PM.

Platinum Member
    Given what you knew about your father, were you really surprised? Seriously? I don't for a moment justify his reaction nor his brutish behavior. His utter ignorance is apparent. And No, extra testosterone won't change it. Look how much good it has done him!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

First off, I am sorry it did not go down too well. Our condition is misunderstood and transition is incredibly hard. The treatment is often administered in spite and against everyone's elses wishes.

That said, your father made some good points and raised issues that are worth considering. He cannot prevent you from telling people and the male hormone stuff is archaic and pointless. But some of the other points are things to think about. At least you should think about how they make you feel.
    Last edited by Frances; 11-03-2014 at 08:23 PM.

I'm really sorry it went so badly for you. It's so much easier and better when you have a supportive family.

But now you have to live your life authentically. You have to decide what's right for you and live authentically. Being far away from your dad is probably a very good thing.
    Good luck.

Obviously you must do what is right for you, but were I told not to tell my relatives that's exactly what I wouldn't be doing. That whole conversation was about your dad seeking to protect himself first and foremost. Tell who you like. It's your right, as is living your life as you see fit!

Sorry about your experience with your father. There is nothing wrong with doing it in an email. I came out to my whole family via email except my parents, they don't do puters, I sent them a hard copy of the email. It is not your fault you feel the way you do nor is it their fault for how they feel. You can only hold each one responsible for how they react to it. I hope things turn around quickly for you.

Hugs
    Rachel
    My parents should have known something wasn't quite right when I kept putting Kens' head on Barbies' body Rachel Smith May 2017

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIZE="3"]Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Dan Stanford[/SIZE][/SIZE]

I used to feel like one in a million now with this forum I feel like one OF a million

“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” ― Joseph Campbell

Email is sometimes a good way to come out, read Lisa Salazar’s book “Transparently”, she had great success with this method with many people.

Michelle, my heart breaks for you "showing his typical emotional abusive behavioral pattern.”… this tells me the obvious, you never had a chance at acceptance by your dad. This breaks my heart

"
    I have also made a decision that I am disowning my father, and will never speak to him again.”
    You made the right decision. I support your fully. Abuse is never to be tolerated. You are doing the right thing by saying “enough!"

Being 3000 miles away is a blessing.

HUGS to you….

Thankful for crossdressers.com, great people here have helped me realize who I really am on the inside. (formerly michelle1)

Mums are usually the most empathetic people to our disposition, and therefore probably the best to tell first (don't all girls need their mum?).

Sometimes as a dad, I can be a hard arse, I think maybe his "normal" is black and white, male & female, and that is just who his is, as you are you.
    Never ever disown anyone (doesn't mean you have to be buddies), people, even fathers can change or soften over time, especially if mum is on your side.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Michelle,
    I read your post and was totally appauled! Your father is definateley transphobic. Like so many men from that age group and older. His ignorance is blaring when he tells you to take testostorone therapy. He obviously doesn't know a thing about GD and the fact that you were trans* when you came out of your mother's womb! You could take all the extra t you wanted and all that would happen is you would do great harm to yourself psychologically, emotionally and possibly physically as well. Don't listen to that crap! Also; don't pay attention to anyone who advises you to "try and work it out with him....etc... " That is totally wrong advice! Your father is an abusive person. He's not going to change, he's not going to "get better." He doesn't have a clue and doesn't want one. He is satisfied (not happy, no one could be that miserable and be happy) staying the way he is and he's not about to change for anyone. It's best that you cut yourself off from him and limit your contact. If he calls tell him you don't want to speak to him and hang up immediately. Eventually he'll either ask why; and you can tell him that you are no longer going to take his abuse and the minute the conversation turns non-supportive and not-nice you're going to hang up on him, or he will not call you again thus severing the relationship. You remain in control and you don't have to take his bullshit any longer.

I know this is hard for you, hun. It hurts. It's going to hurt for a long time. However; this is what happens quite often when we choose to transition. Many of us lose spouses, children, parents, siblings, other family and friends....You knew that before you wrote those emails. Yet it had to happen. You can't hide this from them forever. It had to be done. So you chose the best way you knew to get the news to your brother and father. Hope telling your mother (and she must be told along with anyone else you want to tell f..k your dad!) goes much smoother.

Good luck. God's Blessings and Peace to you.

Paulette
    Last edited by FurPus63; 11-03-2014 at 11:34 PM.

Michelle, I'm sorry that it didn't go the way you wanted. Complex things seldom do but we make the best of them.

First, don't disown your father. He's doing what, however misguided, he thinks best. He's also married to your mother and you really don't want him to be a barrier between you and your mom. It is unlikely that you will bring him around, but at least you might have a truce with him.

Second, your father does not dictate what you can and cannot say to your mother. She deserves to know what is going on. If she doesn't do email then you need to talk to her directly and let her know what is going on with you. Your plan for speaking with her is sound and not having your father present is an excellent idea.

Third, don't take your brother's later actions against him. Your brother seems to be OK with you despite trying to communicate some of your father's thoughts. He is as aware of the nature of your father as you are and it is likely that he will become an ally while also protecting your mother. Right now you need allies.

I know that things look bleak at the moment, but they will improve. Concentrate on the important people, those who support you for who you are.

Silver Member
    I instructed them in the letter to tell Mom, or to at least let me read it myself to Mom.

It is YOUR job to tell your mother, not theirs.

That I should look for a better job, and look outside of the L.A. area. He has given me four such lectures in the past, including one three weeks ago.

Irrelevant.

2. That I am going down a path of self-destruction. Sex change to him is a path of self-destruction.

It is from his point of view. Valid in its own way. Recognize it. He isn't the only one who will think this!

3. That psychologists are liberals and only say what you want to hear. Psychologists never try to challenge you.

Conventional wisdom. Actually true of some psychologists, of course.

4. That the LGBT community people aren't my friends, and that the only ones who care about me are him, my mom, and my brother.
    Btw, this one really smacks of his emotional abuse pattern.

Also conventional wisdom. Blood is thicker than water, and all that. Besides, much of the LGBT “community” has little use for trans people.

5. That people who really love you will give you tough love and not encouragement.

True enough in the main, though they don’t give ONLY tough love!

6. That I am only thinking myself into being trans because I somehow felt inadequate as a man.

Strike one! Although ... the first part is BS, the second is probably true!

7. That I should start taking male hormones and go for reverse therapy to become a better man.

Strike two!

8. He emphasized the word "man" a lot.

So? What did you THINK he would do?

9. That I should stop taking female hormones and stop my transition.

Strike three! (… is he out? … is this baseball?)

10. That he will never call me Michelle.
    Btw, I bet he now hates that name.

Give him a year or 10, you never know.

11. That I will always be his son, and he will never recognize me as his daughter.

See answer above.

12. That I am not welcome at his funeral if I continue down this path.

Whatever. Funerals are for the survivors, however, not the guy in the box. Tell him that you will leave the funeral if he gets up and tells you to go, otherwise you have every intention of showing up - as Michelle - whether he likes it or not. Say it cheerfully!

13. That I am to never tell any relatives.

Not his call!

14. That I am to never visit them dressed as a woman, and that I will never visit that town dressed as a woman. He is afraid that word will get around and that people will think of us in a terrible way.

OK, not his call, and I think his concern isn’t all about you!

15. He asked me how tall I am, and I said 6 foot. He told me that as a 6 foot woman that I will never pass, and always be read as trans.

Tell him to visit any good-sized university.

16. That as a 6 foot tall woman, that only bigger men will ever date me, and they will beat the shit out of me and make my life miserable.

Seriously? Did you laugh?

17. That I am experiencing some kind of smoke right now in my head.

He’s heard of Pink Fog? Perhaps he thinks you're turning into bacon?

18. He will not disown me or stop talking to me, but he does not accept me being trans.

When he calls looking for Ned, just tell him Ned doesn't live here anymore and hang up. Sayonara!

19. He never noticed anything feminine about me, and never thought I was gay.
    Btw, what a lie. 12 years ago, he threatened to disown me if I was gay.

Now I feel sorry for the guy. Because if he thought he had a handle on what being gay means in a cisgender situation, what he's got coming up next is going to fill his head up with smoke (or something.)

He told me that I am to never tell my mother. He is afraid that she will verbally assault him every day for the rest of his life if she knows, and he is afraid that she will blab this to the whole town and everyone will know.

Not his choice, and what she does to him (or tells the town) is hers to own, not yours.

Several hours later I spoke with my brother, who urged me to consider the male hormone treatment. He also said that dad is wrong about not telling mom, and that we should definitely tell mom. He is very much in a quandry about what to do about this.

I assume the hormones are a non-starter. This, like the enabling psychologist and not manly enough memes, isn’t going to die in a hurry. Such things are used by others to structure how they conceptualize you into their own frameworks of understanding. You don’t need to engage on those topics and, if you do, aren’t likely to change any minds anyway.

It’s YOUR decision what, how, and when to tell your mother! Not his, and not both of yours! Yours.

You are REALLY focused on emotional abuse. I know it’s hard to shake off the effects of your rearing, but as an adult, you bear the responsibility as to whether you take this on in the way that you are. You can write him off, but it may be effective enough to establish - and MAINTAIN - emotional and psychological distance. Validate anything worthwhile coming your way. Dismiss the rest.
    Lea

Thank you all for your support. It has been an emotionally challenging week, not to mention that I am battling a cold and sleep deprivation for two back to back nights. One other thing I forgot to mention. My dad also said that I was "burning my bridges". He said that several times throughout the conversation. He never quite made clear what he meant by that.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

Hope you get some rest Michelle. The emotional abuse....I'm so sorry for you hun.
    Thankful for crossdressers.com, great people here have helped me realize who I really am on the inside. (formerly michelle1)

Hi Michelle

Sorry to hear it went badly, but your Dad is an arse and you knew that. Please remember this is totally unexpected and his initial reaction is based on shock and fear.
    He is transphobic, the main issue here is how it reflects on him. Right now he is only thinking of himself. Give him time and probably not but you may change his mind when he realises this is you and if he doesn't change he will lose you. Only time will tell on that one but don't disown him or you take away that chance, even if it is a slim chance.
    You really should have told your Mum first but its done now. I believe in face to face for these things. Be ready that she may initially take your Dads side, that's a common reaction that often doesn't last as a Mother's love will override it. But just be aware that's maybe how she goes at first, if there is an abusive history she might side with your Dad out of misplaced loyalty. Doesn't necessarily indicate how she feels inside.
    I know this from my Mum who wrote me off for four years because she sided with my Dad. It hurt her bad but took some time before she had the courage to go against him for her own wishes.

There is a real positive in your brothers reaction, so its not all bad.

What Lea said at the end of her post is a big deal.

If you can't truly conquer the feelings around the emotional suffering you've endured, its a really good compromise and first step in healing to accept responsibility not for your past but for your future.
    It's a real shame if your troubles in the past take away a bright future.

Your best defense against your dad is not to analyze everything he says.
    That is a waste of your precious time and emotional energy.
    Your best defense is to simply thrive as yourself.

Part of thriving is to gain independence from him and minimize the idea that your past is going to determine your future.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle789 View Post
    One other thing I forgot to mention. My dad also said that I was "burning my bridges". He said that several times throughout the conversation. He never quite made clear what he meant by that.
    I would take that to mean that he feels you are choosing to leave the family, and he doesnt want you to do that. Of course his perception is skewed. It sounds like hes actually confused and scared. Scared that you could be messing up your life and messing up what he feels his family should be like. He has probably put decades of work into molding what he feels is a good life for his family, and has no clue that lifestyle is not right for everyone. He probably also has no clue that his behavior is abusive. It really sounds like he loves you in his own very misguided way, but at the same time hes also trying to look out for himself.

None of what I just said should be taken to mean that you need to put up with Dads nonsense. You are right to put your foot down and demand to be treated with respect.
    Last edited by Andy66; 11-04-2014 at 09:30 AM.

Hi Michelle:

Sooo sorry that you have to endure this type of abuse. And yes, to me it is abuse. Continue to work with your therapists. And no, they don't only tell you what you want to hear!!! Good grief. Mine is constantly asking me tough questions and challenging me, but knows how to do this in a supportive way. A true talent. Not sure I would be here today without her commitment to me as a person.

And, If it were me, I would have disowned your father as soon as the physical and emotional abuse started...but that is just me....

I salute your bravery for transitioning, and I wish only good things for you in your journey. Keep us posted...

Erin
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

Dear Michelle .. so sorry babe. There are causalities in transition .. we lose friends, sometimes spouses, sometimes parents and family. But don't be a victim here sweetie. It's time to be strong and to be super-proud of who you are. Our first commandment is to always love ourselves. We don't love ourselves by keeping abusive people in our lives .. no matter who they are. Love your father from a distance, work with your therapist to forgive him, but understand your father does not love you. No loving father acts the way he has acted. I've been through this with my own father, but not over being trans. He couldn't accept the fact that I loved a person who's skin was darker than his. I put 12,000 miles between myself and him in order to survive emotionally. I learned to forgive him but we never saw each other for the last 13 years of his life. That was his decision. Michelle dear, understand that you are on the verge of a beautiful life in a beautifully accepting world. Find a place where it is cool to be trans. That is where you will find people who will love and support you. Be strong my dear, and be oh so proud of who you are. Lots and lots of love.

My heart goes out to you... Be strong with this. Yes, I agree with most on the sound of his emotional abuse or control. It kind of sounds like that's the biggest reason (to him) to be in the family...to exert control and not love and understanding.
    And anything outside the realm of "normalcy" is uncontrollable to him..so he panics and threatens not understanding or even thinking of any "love or caring" aspect. I do kind of agree that the mother may have needed to be first in notification, and in talking at least instead of email and letting others "pass it along". Whether she'd been accepting and help ease Dad, or now, if she'd go along with his abusive side and slink away (old abuse,beatings,etc may keep her silent) it's hard to say. In a way, the Dad now holds the upper hand of power and control with her so don't be surprised.

I myself am dreading some of this... I'm going to INdiana to talk with my mom tomorrow. It's not going to be pretty and I hope I can make it. While I don't have to battle a dad (dead) or many relatives, there may be additional issues with her community that I hope she's not subjected to on account of me. In a way I fear that more.
    Kacey Rhiannon - (FB Page) (Twitter)
    Bliss is your birthright! Feel Sexy Every Day!