Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A town for us

A town for us

If there was a town that was established ONLY for the LGBT community, would you live there?????? And if not, why??????

Molly
    "To thine own self be true"

No I don't think so, to me it would be hiding, I want to live in a place that all people would accept me for who I am. I know I am a Pollyanna. I almost pick Pollyanna as my name.

Mollyanne, I look at you name after I posted, and had to smile.
    Last edited by Katey888; 11-04-2014 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Consecutive posts merged - please use edit post to add to existing post rather than adding a successive post...

Molly, I don't think at this time I would. I fit in the "T" section of the LCBT community and I think as a cder I might not be looked upon as a equal by some. Just my two cents.

Worlds Prettiest Dad!!! Jocelyn Quivers's Avatar
    As tempting as it sounds, no, in my wild imagination I'm coming up with scenarios where such a town would eventually end up as something like towns in horror movies like "the wicker man" (not the awful remake but the original), "children of the corn", "bay coven", "the howling" etc. Evolving into scenarios like "appear in male mode you lose a finger on each offense."
    [SIZE="3"]MUSCULAR GIRLS ARE PRETTY!!![/SIZE]

Current Inspirational Song-"Running Free"- Kissin Dynamite

M-E-A-T, M-A-C-H-I-N-E, MEAT MACHINE!, MEAT MACHINE!!!
    The Governor for President 2016!!
    All I want for Christmas is an Anita Model Synth

Honestly, no because I'm a person of balance and CDing is not something I like or want to do ALL the time. It sounds like it would be a fun place to visit though.

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    I believe that the diversity of humanity is what makes us beautiful. So no, I would not like to live in such a town.

Daniella Argento
    Well said Nadine. With you on that!

If we all lived in the same place, it would be easier for Bubba to get rid of us.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Such places have never been good for mankind or the group that is separating itself. Even the Amish have wound up with internal strife. It's the tribal mindset that people need to resist with compassion and acceptance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jocelyn Quivers View Post
    As tempting as it sounds, no, in my wild imagination I'm coming up with scenarios where such a town would eventually end up as something like towns in horror movies like "the wicker man" (not the awful remake but the original), "children of the corn", "bay coven", "the howling" etc. Evolving into scenarios like "appear in male mode you lose a finger on each offense."
    This and what Kate said...

A worse scenario would be the end of 'Outbreak' as they're about to obliterate the town...

No - Nadine has it right about diversity... it would likely become an LGBT ghetto and that's just not right. Diversity is something to celebrate and rejoice in...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Not me I like being different.

Reality Check
    Nope. It would be a strange town indeed. Besides, I don't identify with the "LGBT community".

Visit at times, but not live there.

Sorry, no...I prefer the diversity of the real world.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I see all these "rejoice in diversity" comments, and I have to laugh.

It's not "us" that I worry about, it's the local redneck majority that doesn't "rejoice in diversity" that keeps me from going out, that keeps me from taking a stroll down the street dressed the way I want to be, that keeps me shopping while dressed. You know the ones, the ones who get a bunch of their redneck buddies together in their pig-yep truck and beat the hell out of you for being different.

I don't rejoice in that kind of diversity. Not in the least.

I'd love to live in a community that was accepting of people who are different. I just don't expect to find it in Majoritytown USA. The conservative FUD mongers have ensured that anyone who is different will be ostracised.

I'd really love to live in a community that didn't thug up on people who are different...

~Melissa
    ~Linebacker Melissa

Would it be like a "Normal-phobic" City?
    Only lesbians are allowed to work on car engines and have full time jobs while males had to stay home & keep house.
    Children who were straight get shamed and bullied at school, then harassed out of town as the get older

The thing I like about my town now, such that I wouldn't move, is I'm allowed to be different
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

I would not like to live in a city like that. Imagine that city populated by our wonderful members here. We are a mixed bag of people with differing opinions and points of view. We argue here probably more than we do in the real world. Then we would need to govern ourselves. That would be a disaster. We would have fashion police and the moral squad, all telling us how to live our lives. No thanks.

One problem you might encounter, based upon what I have seen at many TG specific bars and events....lol...too many catchers and not enough pitchers.
    Every fear that held me back, when faced, has proven to be hollow.
    Courage is not the lack of fear, but the willingness to ignore it.
    It's your life. Make it count.

I wouldn't want that any more than I'd want to live in a gated community. Different types of people spice up life and add excitement; artificially restriciting who you allow to live in your town makes it bland and boring.

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Melissa_59 View Post
    I see all these "rejoice in diversity" comments, and I have to laugh.

I'd really love to live in a community that didn't thug up on people who are different...

Quote Originally Posted by AllieSF View Post
    We are a mixed bag of people with differing opinions and points of view. We argue here probably more than we do in the real world.
    Yeah just because we all may be on this board does not mean that we all share the same viewpoints and would all live happily ever after with each other. Maybe we wouldn't beat the crap out of each other, but interestingly enough I did read of a LGBT event where several non-t folks were abusive towards the T's at the event.

Oh and yeah, while crime is certainly a problem and I am not so naive to think that no T is ever harassed but like most crime in the world, I think it is very exaggerated. I keep expecting to encounter it and in 10 years of going out and in being gender non-conforming everyday I have yet to see it. A couple of ignorant rude people, but that has been it! Oh, yeah, I forgot, I am the exception who is just lucky!

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa_59 View Post
    My home town (Ottawa, Canada) is such a place. Our province even has human rights regulations specifically prohibiting discrimination on the basis of gender identity and gender expression.

Most large cities in Canada are similarly tolerant, and I bet there are quite a few neighborhoods in US cities that are the same. If it's that important to you, then move to a better place.

Sure, I'd live in such a place, as long as the non-crossdressers stayed on their side of the tracks. Just kidding, sort of. Just trying to make a point that there is no big happy LGBT community.

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    you mean like providence town mass?? chelsea in new york, cherry grove on fire island ? new hope P.a and any of the others on this list ?? sure they are not ONLY lgbt.....but they are pretty darn close.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gay_villages

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine Spirit View Post
    Oh, yeah, I forgot, I am the exception who is just lucky!
    Or perhaps being in California helps. Not so much where I live, and I live here because it's one of the few places that I can afford that isn't overrun with major crime.

The usual warm dry weather is good too, helps with my damaged spine.

~Mel
    ~Linebacker Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by Adriana Moretti View Post
    you mean like providence town mass?? chelsea in new york, cherry grove on fire island ? new hope P.a and any of the others on this list ?? sure they are not ONLY lgbt.....but they are pretty darn close.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gay_villages
    I know that provincetown Mass, which i have been too several times for whale watching is not seedy at all, but other areas can be. Castro street in SF... If I was a young single CDer, it may have some appeal to me. I would not move my family to a place like that, but I can imagine I would probably visit it.
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned