Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Facebook Outing Us?

Facebook, Google etc usually have options hidden in your account settings to turn on/off targeted ads based on your browsing history. Turning that off is a good start.

The other thing I was warned of recently is if you are posting your pics anywhere online. Most cameras/phones insert an id into the data of the picture. So if someone took the time to look it up in a CD pic it's easy to search for any other pics online from the same camera that may link from your other day to day accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lynn3 View Post
    I viewed an all in one briefer on Ebay and it showed up on my Facebook page. It was bubblegum pink and boy did I ever hear it from my male friends.
    Were they looking at your monitor then? because only YOU can see those ads on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lynn3 View Post
    Avast antivirus is very good and has a really good sweep for cookie removal. The very best part about it....it's FREE and does a great job. They have some versions you pay for, so it is up to you.
    You do NOT need this tool to remove cookies, you can do that quite easily in the browser settings. A cookie is just a text file, it can't harm your computer.

I think many people really need to educate themselves about facebook, it's the most invasive social media network ever created and all their constant updates upset your settings, it pays to check them once in a while. I have done searches on google for something, even down to looking at clothes in my catalogue online, then I see them in the ads on facebook. The last straw was when a friend of mine said a specific word in a private message, the next thing I see was an ad with that exact word in it, so you're not safe even in private on there, it's disgusting!

Just one more thing about privacy, private messages here are just that, private, cannot be accessed by staff, by bots or by anything
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara Croft View Post
    Were they looking at your monitor then? because only YOU can see those ads on Facebook.
    She may have "liked" it, maybe accidentally, maybe not knowing like buttons on other sites are facebook likes. Back when I worked in IT we would call that a Layer 8 error.
    Life is a dream we wake from.

Facebook = spawn of

One day a server in Russia or China will suck EVERYTHING of your personal data out of it...

'nuff said...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Quote Originally Posted by ange_o View Post
    Facebook, Google etc usually have options hidden in your account settings to turn on/off targeted ads based on your browsing history. Turning that off is a good start.

The other thing I was warned of recently is if you are posting your pics anywhere online. Most cameras/phones insert an id into the data of the picture. So if someone took the time to look it up in a CD pic it's easy to search for any other pics online from the same camera that may link from your other day to day accounts.
    Remember too that cell phone and tablet cameras often attach a GPS location tag to the pictures. I read somewhere that Facebook strips off those location tags before the pictures are posted, but I suspect they keep the information for their own uses. All current USA cell phones have GPS in them as a requirement for location of emergency (911) calls, and of course so they can alert you of nearby sales offers.
    "But what is Truth? Is Truth unchanging law?
    We both have truths - are mine the same as yours?"

I just ha a similar experience with Youtube, I was showing my Dad a video and an advert for high heels popped up and it's fair to say I got a funny look. Luckily occasionally you seem to get completely random adverts.

My dad didn't sign out of his Etsy, and now I'm hoping to goodness that Etsy doesn't show that I've been looking at feminine clothing this whole time.

Even more of a problem is that half would be considered not school appropriate clothing...

I did see a transgender group on the recommended groups on the side, but besides that, I don't see much related to that.

I was wondering why I started getting transgender group suggestions last time I logged into Facebook. I found it very useful. It looks like fb is one of the go to places for trans people. I'll have to sign up under my femme name.

As far as the browser goes I decided some time back that I preferred being served ads for lingerie and dresses so I make sure that I check in regularly at my favorite online stores. For me the web is doing exactly what I want, helping me dress well and feel good about being trans. Of course I don't care who knows I'm wearing clothes usually marketed for women. I mean, all they have to do is look at me. But really, nobody seems to care and I'm not dressing for the benefit of other people anyway.

actually it's scarier than you think. take a look at http://www.ted.com/talks/jennifer_go...ou_might_think watch what you like!!!

also relevant to what they let you see... http://www.ted.com/talks/eli_pariser...filter_bubbles
    Last edited by Alicia S; 11-27-2014 at 07:11 PM. Reason: addditional info

If you haven't already do it go through your FB settings and limit what you want it to show and what it links to. There are some apps that it's not possible to block but you can limit the "damage". Also as others have said, use a separate browser such as FireFox to break the Google chain.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Given Facebook's lack of care for privacy, I deleted my account over an year ago. Haven't missed it at all.

I use an entirely different browser when viewing crossdressing forums and the like

I recently gave up on this fight. I came out to myself a few months ago and more recently I have come out to my computer. I'm not using private mode anymore and have all my support sites saved along with my passwords. Whoever they are, they've already known I shop for women's clothes for years based on the ads I get. Honesty is the only way to win back control of this information.
    For years I hoped I was just a CDer but now I realize I am transgender and that's alright.

I use 2 computers. One for all my Cd needs and this forum with a bunch of apps for file deletion. And another one with saved passwords and no apps for facebook, entertainment and gaming.

I took care of this a few weeks ago when I changed my Facebook profile pic to one of me dressed. Now I do not have to worry about tracking anything or anyone seeing something I am not ready for them to see. I understand not everyone can do that, but for me it works.

This has been common for me. I often get tons of advertisements depending on what I've most recently looked at (often it's shoes). Since I'm on my own computer all the time, it doesn't bother me much. I wish there was a way to bypass Facebook and still keep in touch with people. I do have an Ello account for my femme side. If anyone else has one, feel free to look me up on there.

I think every website wants to accidentally "out" us.

I let my girlfriend do some Christmas shopping on my Amazon account and forgot that since I'm signed in that she can see my order history...nothing has been said, but I know she could have easily seen the earrings, belt, top, and dress that I bought in July.

Anyway, most of the ads on facebook seem to be of shoes and dresses for me, but the gf hasn't said a word, and if she does, I'll just pass it off as to her shopping on my computer... all is well.

Suzanne