Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Facebook Outing Us?

Don't post a darn thing on facebook if you want it private.

I ended up deleting my Flickr account. I had a Facebook for Jenny, it tried to link to my male account, and that was all I needed to quit. I'll post here (the forums have done a good job staying private, thank you moderators!!).

I can not stress more than Jennifer's first line.
    Also do not ever let your GMail accounts inhabit the one computer they will find references to each other as well.
    They will identify the computer as being used by one and the same person.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    I use FireFox. I still find I must completely close out of a session in order avoid any references to anything. I find eBay annoying. When I log on to eBay it brings up items I may have looked at in the past, which may be items I wish to not wave in anyone's face. I would not like it if my granddaughter or wife were looking over my shoulder and a grouping of slips, hosiery and heels were to appear. I do not participate in social media sites. All of them are out there to make money, and, they are not sharing the dollars with you. You're the target.

Ex prisoner in paradise CostaRicaRachel's Avatar
    That's funny, I used to get crossdresser ads on facebook, I just thought it was a
    coincendence.

But, I did not want anyone to see the sites I visit so I started to
    automatically delete everything on exit. I don't see them any more.
    Although your current visions might be grounded in reality,
    there are no shortcuts to get from here to there.
    Face the facts and realize that you still may have to manifest this
    dream the old-fashioned way: by creating a concrete plan,
    putting in the hard work and maintaining an
    unwavering determination to make it happen.

Platinum Member
    Hi Adrennier, I stay as far away from Facebook as I can !

I have a notation on my profile here that I am not on FACEBOOK .
    Last edited by BLUE ORCHID; 11-08-2014 at 07:32 AM.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I always use the 'in private browsing' for any CD or similar related web sites so have never had any bothersome ads on FB. I simply don't want anything to appear in my internet history. So I'm pretty careful about my internet history and cookies in general. I have the same problem on my phone. For example if I type c, it automatically suggests crossdressers. I continually have to delete that.

I have a Facebook page but it contains a minimum of information and I have a limited list of friends. On my web browser I often get messages about airline or hotels that I have recently looked when planning travel etc.

In one sense this entire privacy issue is worrisome and yet perhaps we have brought this on ourselves by putting out information on various web sites etc. and yet expecting that somehow it won't go any further.

An alternative approach might be to say that you don't care. This is what I am, this is what I am interested in and if you don't like it, go away.

Data mining especially with recommender systems is one of the hottest research topics out there. Google and Amazon are two of the top funders of this research. If there's any way to get the information about your activities, they'll get it. They'll do it in ways you never thought of, and never imagined existed. It would take a mountain of legeslation to stop it, and given the pace of the research, it's doubtful that legeslation could even keep up.

For my part, I figure it's just the price of doing business, and ignore the whole thing.

Aspiring Member
    FB and Chrome will follow you everywhere you go. Both are just too dammed connected to everything. I had a femme Amazon account and reviewed a TG book. The review popped up on my male amazon account for all the world to see stuff I was reading. And then it would not let me delete it.

I finally said to hell with FB. Just too nerve racking to keep a lid on it.
    Last edited by bimini1; 11-08-2014 at 10:28 PM.

Silver Member
    Actually, the search engines don't care who you are they are interested in posting ads that will cause you to click on them. The same goes for social media sites and most other sites that offer free services. The free mail services scan your mail for key words to include as advertising. I'm lucky enough that my wife knows and knows I shop on line. We share computers and accounts so they don't know who does what. If you use store loyalty cards then you are telling the store what you like to eat, drink, wear, or whatever. Some of these stores share info also. Only way to be really sure is to use separate computers from different locations and never the twain shall meet.

Besides cookies, there is your IP address, network card mac address and the list goes on. For now most reputable companies don't try to crack through the private browser window. The truth is they don't have to. All you have to do is search the deleted files. One can also connect you across multiple computers if you log onto the same site. Scary isn't it!

- When you have finished with FB, make sure you log out. If you do not, the cookies are still linked to your account.
    - Try using Ghostery on your browser, it blocks a lot of garbage (I use it on Firefox with Adblock Plus)
    - Use this opt out thingy: http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/

I always use in private browsing on the Internet. It doesn't show up on your history either. When you have finished just click the x in corner and everything is gone for good.

There's a fantastic add on for firefox called Ghostery that combined with private browsing gives you a whole lot more control.

Perhaps I am just paranoid but I am not on Facebook. Also, I use Firefox with Ghostery, Track Me Not, and Adblock Plus. Finally, I clear my history at the end of any session.

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they ain't out to getcha.

Never signed up for FB, never will, and I browse everything through Gibiru. A few ads make it into my gmail inbox, but not enough to be a nuisance.

According to recent news articles, Verizon is another company to be watched carefully. They are said to be attaching a "super cookie" to any web browsing done on their cell phones. It is said their marker cannot be deleted or blocked, and it is used (as one would expect) for advertising. A T & T was said to be using the technology too, but at least publicly they say they aren't using it any more.
    "But what is Truth? Is Truth unchanging law?
    We both have truths - are mine the same as yours?"

The chink in the "use two browsers" or "use two computers" armor is that if they are on the same network they will have the same IP address, so all that trouble you went to is for naught.

These days, everything is traceable because data is so easily linked. Ever wonder why gmail and yahoo mail so desperately want your mobile number? It's not because they want to help you recover your account. They want to link your anonymous email account to your real identity which is much more marketable! Even my wi-fi address is traceable to a physical location, due to Google Maps. This stuff used to be Orwellian fantasy, but today it is standard operating procedure.

That being said, nothing I do is illegal under the current regime. Whether it remains so in the future is unknown. To find an example of the really dark side of data mining you don't have to go farther than 1938 Germany. A lot of people were murdered by pieces of data innocently collected from them.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Interesting subject. I have FB acct. as my male self. I have never seen any cd stuff on it. I have separate names, or accounts on my pc, for my guy stuff, and my cd stuff. I log off one acct. before I log onto the other. So far it has worked. Also it helps me keep both my pc id's separate.

I use epic browser, based on Google Chrome. It blocks cookies, hides your IP, makes you very anonymous on the web. They explain a lot on the site too. Even if you are in incognito mode, which protects you from storing anything on your computer, Google uses IP tracking and other forms, to figure out that someone at your household shops for women s clothes, they sell that information to advertisers, who intern put adds in Facebook. I started using this browser when I saw HSN ads in of all things Skype. You can also look up addons for your browser that are ad-blockers, they work, ads wont show up.

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar
    Being of the "older" generation, I don't Facebook or Twitter. In my day if you were a "twit" that was not a compliment so why would I want to be a Twitterer? That being said, since I am not on those sites, I too am getting those ad bars for places I frequent like JJ House Evening Dresses and other places I go to often to either buy or just dream. Since I use Google Search I have to think it's them. I'm sure my wife sees them but at this point she could not possibly be surprised.

I have googled all kinds of things about crossdressing, ultimately bringing me to this site in a quest for information on the subject. I have never had anything appear on my FB page in regard to CDing.

The suggested sites on my page are usually related to pages I have already "liked" or things that I've disclosed about me in my profile - for example where I am from and what my interests are.

Quote Originally Posted by melanie206 View Post
    Also, be careful on Amazon. Somewhere along the line it got the idea that I liked dresses and won't let it go no matter how many chain saw blades and floor jacks I look at.
    Haha, I wonder where it got that idea. I have the same problem. I have to be careful not to look at Amazon in front of anybody even when I'm looking at unrelated things because women's clothes always pop up in the suggestions. In fact, I'm very guarded about my computer, I almost always lock the screen when I walk away from it, and I avoid letting anyone else use it. If I have to let someone, I clear my history and cookies or I insist on staying in control of the mouse and keyboard. Firefox has a setting under the privacy tab to make your address bar suggest nothing when typing in it - I would guess other browsers do too. I use the adblock plus and ghostery plugins that some others have mentioned to block most tracking.

I highly recommend never using your good email account to sign up for any website. If you don't have a 'junk' email address, create a new free account. And it bears repeating, don't trust Facebook with anything private, ever!

The good news is it's just computer programs looking at the data they collect on you, so they can target ads to you. Otherwise, these companies couldn't care less about your personal life.

Melanie Z, I'm agree with you 😊😊😊😙
    Il n'y a rien qui vous rend plus heureux que la liberté d'être vous-même et être honnête avec vous aussi.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I use different browsers and don't have that problem.
    Girl page gets girly ads boy one gets boy ads Your friends can't see your ads so nothing to worry about.

If you go to Internet Options you will see that there is a selection called " delete browsing history upon exit" When selecting this option, close your browser upon completing your task. For example if you have a feminine facebook page, exit upon completion and your cookies will be deleted. Note that by selecting this option you will not be saving pass words and id's , but you will experience a must faster machine speed.