Thread: So, I came out to my parents

So, I came out to my parents

I don´t have much time to be online today, so I´m writing quick and short, just to share the news. I know that if I start to really write I can be writing for an hour or two. Tomorrow I will probably have more time.

I e-mailed my parents yesterday, as I mentioned on the other thread. This morning I was very nervous while working. I came to the lan house as soon as I could, and found a reply from my dad. He said my letter caused conmotion and surprise, and they are trying to understand everything I wrote. He said I´ve been their dear and loved son for 32 years, so I shouldn´t ask them to change in an instant, it will take their time. Right now they can only tell me they love me and they will always be by my side, no matter what it takes, and in any circumstances.

I´m crying tears of joy right now.... I feel a huge weight lifted from my shoulders. Today I was on the brink of a panic attack, thinking of what they would say....

Thank you....

Now I´ll have to start coming out to the rest of the family...
    Life is a dream we wake from.

Bless you! I'm so glad it has gone well so far! Of course it will take them a while to get used to the idea, but oh my, you are so lucky that they are reacting the way they are! Best of luck with the rest of your family and friends!

Thank goodness. Give them more time, you're certainly off to a good start. With my Dad, it took some time to mull over, but he has stayed my best friend.

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    Good for you, you're a brave girl.

I note the kind, loving reply was from your dad. Hopefully mum is on the same page.

Very best wishes, and be prepared that there may yet be some wailing and wringing of hands from other family members to cope with!

I'd say bring mum and dad a bottle of champagne- it does wonders.

xNikki

I am so happy for you! I can only imagine what a relief that is! You may wish to work with them when coming out to the rest of your family, so give it time.

Wishing you all the best...

Erin
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

Banned Read only
    I am glad to hear it went well. Now it is your responsibility to show your parents it is not a mistake. Show them that you are happy and can and will be productive in this new life of yours. That is the only way you will win them over. Don't blow it!

Silver Member
    Wonderful to read of your positive reply from (some) your family! Please go slow, and keep communicating with them, and understand their side of your feminine image. Enjoy.

Aspiring Member
    God Bless you and your parents sis, I wish all of you peace,prosperity and good health!

I remember when I heard those exact words from my parents, brother, sisters and nieces and nephews. I never felt so loved in my entire life. I am so happy for you.
    My parents should have known something wasn't quite right when I kept putting Kens' head on Barbies' body Rachel Smith May 2017

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIZE="3"]Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Dan Stanford[/SIZE][/SIZE]

I used to feel like one in a million now with this forum I feel like one OF a million

“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” ― Joseph Campbell

Gold Member
    Families do come through for us more often than not I believe. But I am with Jorja. Stay on track and keep communicating to them. If you tell someone then get too wrapped up in things to call back, then they may not have a warm and fuzzy about what is going on.

The e-mail came from my dad´s email address, but it is signed by both of them. Now they wrote again, saying they also talked to my brother and sister, who will also support me. My brother already sent me an e-mail expressing his support, and asking if we can meet when he comes to Brazil for a seminar in a few weeks (unfortunately it´s like two thousand kilometers away from where I am). I still haven´t heard from my sister.

I´m still processing their response. I really wasn´t expecting it. I had long accepted the fact that they didn´t accept me, and since I admitted to myself that I´m trans I had started to let go of them. I "knew" they were not going to accept it. Now, with them on board, it´s like I feel they will be policing me, that I have to prove them that this is real and not "a phase" or something like that. It´s still scary. I was so used to being on my own that it was comfortable.

But I´m so glad it happened this way. I do love my family, with all it´s got.

Now comes the larger family (friends already know, those that don´t are just aquaintances). Should I just post in on Facebook?
    Life is a dream we wake from.

Banned Read only
    For the rest of the family, unless these are people you have contact with everyday, I just would not say anything unless it becomes necessary. Believe me, word will spread fast enough. Cross that bridge when you get to it.
    Last edited by Jorja; 11-14-2014 at 06:02 PM.

Hi I am so happy for you, I am 51 years old and i just told my family, friends, and parents this year its a huge weight off me, now I live as a women full time, so keep up your hope and live who you truly are a women, everything will be better for you, from now on as your new you.