Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heels and stairs

Heels and stairs

Today I was behind a co-worker on the stairs. She had on a pair of 3 1/2 or so heels and was having some difficulty in walking up the stairs. I thought to myself, goodness I walk better in heels than she does.

Good thing it was an inside-the-head voice.

Bad Tiffany.

Did it ever occur to you that spending quality time in the real world in heels might give you some insight as to how her feet may have been feeling at that moment? Perhaps the walk from her car was longer than expected? Maybe taking the stairs was her last straw?

Regardless, I doubt that a man's opinion that he perceives he can walk in heels better than her ever would cross her mind. This is not the stuff that defines femininity although competition about the silliest things seems to be a hallmark of masculinity.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

I have had similar thoughts about other skills I have "mastered" over a period of time.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

>>Did it ever occur to you that spending quality time in the real world in heels might give you some insight as to how her feet may have been feeling at that moment? << I do spend quality time in the real-world in heels.

Funny, but going up the stairs is the easiest for me because I always step on the front sole part and the heel never really hits the step until the last one. Now, going down the stairs I generally have the full foot/shoe simultaneously hitting the step at the same time. I am definitely more cautious going down, and at my advanced age that is also with or without heels!

I also thought I walked good in heels, not realizing that I only walked in the house on hardwood floors. What a surprise the first time I stepped out of my car and took one step on ashfalt, and fell straight on my face.

I've often seen women walking hunched over in heels like they never wore them before. Especially at weddings, when they have to dress up, and maybe don't dress up much. I guess maybe we try harder.

Silver Member
    We all have things to learn. I do know several women that are not accomplished at wearing heels. They didn't wear them much growing up or as young women they had jobs where they didn't or couldn't wear heals.

Stairs can be the trickiest in heels. It depends on the width of the tread.
    Sometimes the only way is to turn your heels sideways as they don't fit on the tread fully otherwise and can not only be tricky, but dangerous.
    Stairs are a definite skill activity in heels. Sure anyone can do it, but can you do it gracefully??
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Stilettos can be tough, I'm still learning. I like wedges better, same height and easier if you miss step some.
    Some are really cute too.

Just got my first pair of 4" heels, learning to walk all over again, and I've worn heels for 50+ years, just never so tall.
    getting around the house has been a challenge, wouldn't even want to try stairs in them yet.
    If you watch, many younger women are not good at heels, due to a lack of practice. Since dressing up has diminished in our society to weddings and an occasional night out. They just don't get enough practice.
    Around here I see them going in and out of churches in casual pants and flats, even jeans and tennis shoes. No mean to sound like an old foggy, but in my day, girls dressed up for church at least once a week, also going out to dinner, and things of that nature where much more formal than today.
    Just be glad there are enough women still wearing heels and pretty dresses to keep the manufactures in business. Or we wouldn't have the practice we get at it.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

I live in a three story house and every time I dress I have to deal with the stairs. Its still always tricky. If you think going up stairs is hard.......try going down......OMG

Reality Check
    I have seen women walk awkwardly in heels and I remember watching a woman run down a long running escalator in an upscale mall in heels (I suspect she worked there and was in a hurry).

I don't think it's all that important and I wouldn't judge people on it except to say that the one running down the escalator was very impressive.

Banned Read only
    Bill,
    Sometimes you see this on TV and think I can walk as good as that !
    Part of it is possibly because we have stronger leg muscles, that aids our balance !
    My wife has just outed some lovely heels, saying she can't walk in them any more !
    The biggest challenge I have on the stairs is wearing heels when using the Dyson ! Most women wouldn't attempt that one ! Only one stupid CDer !!

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by bill1962 View Post
    ... I thought to myself, goodness I walk better in heels than she does....
    Without seeing either of you, here's what I know: you don't walk better than her in heels. In your head you might, but not in life. Perception of self in such things is always over rated.

Our self image and what others see are often not exactly the same. I have met some CDs who thought they had the sexy girl walk mastered and they actually looked utterly ridiculous.

I work in an office of almost exclusively women. Most rarely wear heels, but it is not an unusual occurrence. We are more interested in not tripping, not falling down the stairs and not dropping what we are carrying. Looking good or being graceful (being ladylike, if you prefer) is secondary especially when carrying stuff. When you have to worry about it all day, not falling trumps style and grace. A few colleagues wear heels a few times a year and they are grab onto the handrails and take tentative steps due to lack of practice. Some stairs are more difficult to use due to their spacing and materials.

I keep a pair of flats in my office for the days I wear heels and unexpectedly have to do a lot of walking or spending time on my feet. I plan my heel days for those when I expect to be mostly at my desk. If I have to use the stairs, I use one particular flight because it is the easiest one to navigate. At the end of the day when I am tired and my feet are tired and maybe a little sore, I am more interested in getting to my car then looking good doing it.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    First off, I'm talking about 4" to 5" spike heels here. Because any other shape of heeled shoe or boot is no problem for me on stairs.

And, going up is no problem. As Allie mentioned, down is the issue. And, doing it with grace, as Cheryl explained, isn't easy.

My biggest concern is descending the stairs in my home. I come down from my bedroom dressed ready to go out. But, the stairs r covered in berber carpeting! Twice I have had my spike heels snag in it going down. While the railings saved me from dangerous falls, the heels of the snagged shoes broke off. I now go down very slowly and carefully when wearing spikes!
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 11-15-2014 at 03:14 PM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Reality Check
    Have you considered putting your heels on after you've come down the stairs?

Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    Have you considered putting your heels on after you've come down the stairs?
    Not practical when they're boots. Had to do it tonight. Reminds me why I prefer flats or wedges.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    I would like to suggest that many women walk in heels as little as they can, whereas we can't get enough of them! So yes, at our best we are darned good at walking in heels, and those women who walk in heels all the time could out run us easily!

Apples and oranges

I have many thoughts when I see women walking in heels. Usually I just wish I was them but after I get over that I watch and try to see if she is doing something I should. I have once thought I could walk that good but then remember it would only last for a few minutes and that I could not pull it off all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    Without seeing either of you, here's what I know: you don't walk better than her in heels. In your head you might, but not in life. Perception of self in such things is always over rated.
    Depends a lot on which genetic girls you compare us to. A surprisingly large number of them these days have very little practice wearing heels higher than an inch and a half.

I've been cross dressing less than a year, but I have practiced wearing my 3.5 inch and 4 inch heels a lot - wearing them around the house and wearing them any time I go out to the nightclub I like to frequent. I'll admit that the first few times out while walking across uneven paving in parking lots or on patios, I was a bit wobbly. But I kept at it, and tried to dance and do any otehr activities I felt like and not to have the shoes get in my way. I have strong ankles, a good sense of balance, and I've been trained in martial arts, which teaches a lot about keeping balanced no matter how you move. In the past two months, after several months of practice in heels, I have had no less than three different genetic girls say to me that they are quite certain that I walk, dance and even run in heels better than they can. And these girls were approaching me on their own to make that comment - I wasn't even trying to chat them up.

I've had similar experiences with heels. Walking up stairs is not a real challenge. The real challenge is walking back down. The steps in our house are really not deep enough for long and wide heels. I'm always careful to hold on to the stair rail when descending.

Platinum Member
    Hi Bill, Stairs can be tricky especially if the treads are short.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I have learned a lot about navigating in heels by watching the GGs. Even how to fall with grace