Thread: Very first time out...

Very first time out...

So it’s been a week, I’ve been thinking quite a bit about it since then, but here I go.

A week ago, I went out en femme for the first time ever.

For quite a long time, I was perfectly fine in the closet, but since last summer, I had been thinking about going out for a walk fully dressed. For me, it was some kind of a milestone. During all those past years, I was kind of making sure I wouldn’t do something like that. For some reason, this was a line I wasn’t willing to cross. You know: I always had a bit of trouble fully accepting that part of myself, and although I tend to think that I do accept that I am Calliope as much as my birth gender, the truth is that I don’t accept her as fully as I’d like.

But since last summer, for some reason, I had been thinking more and more about getting out of the house, so I decided to finally get a wig, breast forms, the whole shebang.

So… finally a week ago, being alone for a few days, and having everything I needed to entirely be Calliope, I got dressed with a nice long brown skirt with matching top, cute suede boots. I didn’t get too fancy on the makeup. A long jean jacket, a purse, I was ready to go.

It was a bit late, and because I didn’t want to walk around the neighbourhood, I knew I would have to drive some place else. I took a deep breath, a quick glance in the mirror, I opened the door, no one in sight and yet: I almost ran to the car.

I was thinking: that’s ok Callie, it’s dark, no one will see you. Except it wasn’t dark in the car. So I just turned on the ignition, and drove away. And I thought: “well well, there is no turning back now and there is no safety net either: I’m in the open, here goes nothing!”

First time driving in heels: it took a few minutes to get used to it, and then I was driving in heels as if I had done that my entire life. Then I arrived at a red light. Another car was next to mine, and I was like: “What if he sees me? What if he sees right through me?” So I kept looking at the traffic light, quickly realizing that the other driver was probably doing the same thing and not paying attention to me whatsoever.

I finally arrived to that very nice neighbourhood with big houses, mansions, where I was sure I wouldn’t be either recognized, and the only persons I would run into where people walking their dogs. I stepped out of the car, locked it, and off I was.

There was a bit of rain, very light, and I was actually somehow relieved to be able to hide myself under the umbrella.

One thing that quickly surprised me was how noisy heels can be when everything else is so quiet. The other thing was how very different it is to walk in heels in the street as opposed to a very predictable hardwood floor at home. I was walking, short steps, but soon realized how fast I was going. I came to a full stop, took a deep breath. What was the rush? The car was now far behind me, and I had certainly didn’t come that far to feel anxious or scared. The rain had stopped. I folded the umbrella, looked up: the night was young and it was all mine. I resumed walking, this time at a much slower pace, a relaxed pace, actually enjoying the sound of my heels on the pavement. I smiled, and all of a sudden I felt so right. In my head, I was even forgetting that I was dressed: I was just being myself, and I was having a nice evening walk outside.

Then I froze. There was somebody not too far away from me. A man. But the man didn’t bother to even look my way: he kept walking on the other side of the street, seemingly deep in his thoughts, he entered his home, and I kept on walking.

Curiously, although I had been scared of being caught by a stranger just a minute earlier, in a way I was disappointed that he didn’t look my way. Somehow all of a sudden I realized I wanted to be seen… so I kept on walking a bit more, eventually got back to the car, then home without anybody laying eyes on me.

So that was something. It didn’t go wrong. I really really enjoyed it. And I am definitely looking forward to doing this again as soon as I can

Hi Kallyope,

Feels liberating, doesn't it? Very descriptive. Reminds me of less than a year ago when I ventured out for the first time, thanks to this forum. It gets easier and more fun and relaxing. Good for you. You know you're hooked now, right ;-)

Silver Member
    Congrats on taking that big leap Callie, to be out & about showing your feminine side! So glad to read it was a thrilling but pleasant "rush", without the gender police involved! You are correct that you will be out again, and perhaps sooner than you expect! We have nothing to fear but fear itself! Enjoy.

Always fun but beware, I now walk 20 meters past my heavily sign written car, in broad daylight, fully dressed and wave to any neighbours, when I go out
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Gold Member
    Can you imagine how hilarious it would have been if the car didn't want to start and you had to get a tow? Just drawing all kinds of attention?
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Well, Callie, the genie is out of the bottle now, and there is no stuffing him (her? ) back in. Congratulations on finally having reached that momentous milestone! And being a former Montrealer myself, I found your compelling story to be particularly relatable. Quebecers love their "travestis", and if you're old enough, maybe you will remember Guilda (Jean Guida), who was one of the top "vedetttes" back in the day and used to appear regularly on French-language television.

Great story, and most of us who have finally taken the plunge to go "out and about" can relate to every single emotion that you described in getting to that part of your journey on the road to self-acceptance that you now find yourself on.

Oh, there will be the occasional setback, disappointment, and tense moment, but that's all part of the experience and evolution. Eventually, you will find that going out en femme becomes routine and as normal as going out in drab. Not only that, but you will have no problem interacting with random strangers, SA's, openly shopping for (and trying on) women's clothes, visiting make up counters in department stores, as well as entering and using that dreaded former "no fly zone" - women's public washrooms - all with the same sense of abandon as GG's. And best of all, hardly anyone will bat an eye...

Nothing like a little taste of something to see if you like it.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Hi Callie:

Well done! Sounds like a great first outing. Sounds like you were out for a stroll in Westmount?

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

A bientôt,

Erin
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

Thank you. No, I'm a south shore girl

But there is a very nice area near my place with huge mansions and big lovely houses. Very safe, and not many people walking around in the evenings.

Oui, * bientôt
    Last edited by Katey888; 11-17-2014 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Not necessary to requote entire preceding post

Hey Kallyope, what a great story. My first time out was at a Southern Comfort Conference in Atlanta. It started outside the hotel with other Gurls, so i was a little more comfortable. Being a windy night, the feeling of the wind on my legs, and through my skirt was incredible. Ended up going out to a club with other attendees, and had a great time, we walked back to the hotel together, and I will never forget how it felt. Thanks for sharing.

Hmmm...so let me take a wild guess, then, Callie...Brossard, and either the "R" or "S" sections?

I lived there many years ago near the Champlain Bridge, and they were just starting to develop those two areas at the time. Some beautiful homes there, for sure...probably even more so nowadays in other, newer sections of the community. I think there's even a particular subdivision within that grouping where many of the multi-million dollar pro athletes like the NHL hockey players reside.

Going out en femme is my long term goal. I can imagine that there must be a whole range of emotions going on when it happens, before, during and after.

Isn't it the greatest feeling, being outdoors. The first time I walked in heels on the ashfault I almost fell on my face. I could relate to the first time I took the plunge. I went out fully dressed a few nights in a row, and my wife knew where this was going and suggested that I tell the children, because it was going to just be a matter of time before I get spotted. I thought about and decided that was not who I wanted to be and besides halloween I didn't go out again. Don't get me wrong, I want to get out, but we have to make tough decisions in life, and I made mine. I know the feeling, the rush, it's crazy isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post
    Hmmm...so let me take a wild guess, then, Callie...Brossard, and either the "R" or "S" sections?
    Oh my God, although this place does qualifies as full of mansions, the area has changed quite a bit during the past few years. Now the mansions have a huge lifestyle center next to them, which is a bit sad and weird. It looks like Disneyland mated with Ikea on steroids. So it's far from being a quiet area nowadays.

No, the place I was referring to is actually in Longueuil.

Crossdresser
    Congratulations on your first outing and thanks for sharing your story. Your description of first time driving in heels brings back memories. I'm willing to bet that each of your successive outings will come at shorter intervals.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallyope View Post
    Oh my God, although this place does qualifies as full of mansions, the area has changed quite a bit during the past few years. Now the mansions have a huge lifestyle center next to them, which is a bit sad and weird. It looks like Disneyland mated with Ikea on steroids. So it's far from being a quiet area nowadays.

No, the place I was referring to is actually in Longueuil.
    Close, but no cigar!

Hmmm, interesting! I never thought of Longueuil that way. St. Lambert, St, Bruno, or Mont St. Hilaire, maybe, but not Longueuil. I guess things really have changed since I lived on the South Shore.

Still have fond (?) memories of Chambly ("Shambles") Transport, though, and the never-ending mechanial breakdowns. Hopefully, that's a thing of the past now as well.

B.T.W., does the Cleopatre nightclub on Boul. St, Laurent still exist ? Used to have some great drag shows there...

FIrst time out...seems so long ago now. I would play it so differently nowadays but I survived the experience as we all do. Well done Calli, what a shame no-one spotted you - next time... It seems almost an anti-climax after the event because no-one saw or noticed. damn! But it isn't really an anti-climax, it's just the first step on a long ladder.

Stupidly, my first step was manically huge... It was like a non-swimmer diving into the deep end of the pool. I had been out to our girls' support group but that is just with other girls - nerve-racking the first time but then it's fine. No, I am thinking of my first trip out into the "real" world. A friend had arranged an evening out at a small hotel near her - dinner and intelligent conversation - and she invited me!!! In a moment of utter madness I asked if I could come as Michelle, "Oh yes!", she said. Well I had the dress and the falsies and the wig and the shoes amd the handbag but did I have the nerve. It was 45 minutes drive from home and I spent at least 3 days panicking - shall I , shan't I? "Come as Stephen and change when you get here." No chance of that!!!!!

I eventually plucked up enough courage to get dressed and do my make-up and my nails...but I made such a mess of my nails doing them in a rush last thing and they hadn't hardened - they looked awful Into the car and on my way - how did I stop shaking enough to drive smoothly...not sure I did! I arrived. Where was my friend? I had rung her to tell her I was arriving - ah, there. She came hurrying over to greet me - it was the first time she had met Michelle too. OMG, am I really doing this, I thought. Here I am first time "out" about to walk into a hotel room with 20 complete strangers to make polite, intelligent conversation - I must be totally utterly barking! No backing out now...Rach led the way with me towering over her - she is only 5'4' - I am 6'4' and I had my 4" heels on. She loved my hair and my shoes and my boobs - or at least she said she did, maybe to give my flagging courage a boost.

In we went and Michelle was introduced, only about 10 there at that point others arrived in the next half hour. And, of course, everyone wanted to know about me...well, I wasn't so confident then and I was confused in my own head - here I am as Michelle or am I Stephen, no, I am usually Stephen but tonight is my first time out as Michelle. At least I looked ok (apart from my scuffed nails) and gradually I calmed down. No-one made any derogatory remarks about me, I joined in the conversation, I had a nice meal, I have never been invited back and never met any of them again as far as I know!

At the end of the evening I drove home; I hadn't sunk, no-one had been rude to me, in fact everyone was very nice to me but were they just being condescending? I didn't know, I didn't care, I had done it despite all my panics beforehand.

I wouldn't recommend anyone doing that as a first time out - in hindsight it was so unbelievably insane to do something like that but I lived through it. It was in March 2008 and perhaps it goes some way to explaining why I find going out relatively easy. I jumped in at the deep end and I swam; maybe it was more a splashy butterfly than a smooth practiced crawl but it no longer matters. It did prove to me that people are accepting, they don't say rude things to you.

And if you girls want to call me an idiot for doing something so mad, feel free, I was but looking back it was an amazing way to start!!!!

Enjoy it all, however safe and simple you start, there will be scary moments along the way and you will get through them - because we do.

Go girls, go!

(Mad) Michelle
    xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post
    Close, but no cigar!

Hmmm, interesting! I never thought of Longueuil that way. St. Lambert, St, Bruno, or Mont St. Hilaire, maybe, but not Longueuil. I guess things really have changed since I lived on the South Shore.
    Well, there are several parts of Longueuil: some of them are very nice and even posh, others parts... ahem... not so much (and even not at all). Depends on which side of Boulevard Roland Therrien you are ;-)

The Cleopatre nightclub is still there. I think it was almost demolished a few years ago, but salvaged because it's some kind of institution now.

Hey Kallyope, after I read and responded to your post the other day, it really got me thinking. It had been a number of years since the conference I spoke about, and I had hit a plateau in my dressing. not wanting to push myself further, but still not wanting to give it up(as if I could ). So, inspired by your story I decided to take a leap of faith. I rummaged through some things, put together something nice, and went for a drive and a walk. I was as scared as I was my first time, but what a great rush it was to have those feelings again. I returned home a short while ago, giddy with delight and feel like I'm back on track. Just wanted to say thanks for putting the wind back in this girls sails......

Reality Check
    I'm glad you had fun and nothing bad happened to you.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this so far, but walking alone at night is not something that a woman would do, especially in heels. Sure, nobody knows you but even in a "nice" neighborhood, bad things could happen.

Asside from "bad" things happening, sometimes people wonder what a stranger is doing walking in their neighborhood. They might walk up to you and say something like "Can I help you?" or "Are you lost?". They might call the police about a suspicious person or a man dressed as a woman (that actually happened to one of the members here). Or the police might stop to see if you are OK.

Assuming that your presentation is good enough that people won't recognize you, I think the best and safest place to be as a crossdresser is in broad daylight in a crowd. Go to a mall, go to the tourist part of town or the business part of town. Wear what is appropriate for the time of day and place and just blend in. In the daytime you can wear women's sunglasses and that helps to disguise your face and helps you avoid eye contact.

Quote Originally Posted by RobynT View Post
    Just wanted to say thanks for putting the wind back in this girls sails......
    I am very happy that me going out and my writing about it did inspire you

Thanks for sharing

(and maybe I should write a novel) LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    I'm glad you had fun and nothing bad happened to you.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this so far, but walking alone at night is not something that a woman would do, especially in heels. Sure, nobody knows you but even in a "nice" neighborhood, bad things could happen.
    I think it's pretty much obvious that a real lady does not go out at night without a good reason (walking a dog being one for instance). And I was feeling a bit uncomfortable not because I was dressed, but because, yes, obviously, a "woman" alone late in the evening isn't "normal". That being said, it also depends where you live. (Canada is very peaceful and quiet, particularly in my area and the one I chose for this nice walk)

Now about the heels, depends on what they look like and how high they are. Mine were nothing fancy, and a couple of inches high only. My outfit was perfectly compatible with the area: I could have been walking a few blocks home from a friend's.

Gone to live my life
    Hi there and CONGRATS on your first outing. It can be both nerve wrecking and intoxicating at the same time. The one sure thing is the more you do it the more you will become comfortable and will push the envelope. I started with similar Ninja Femme Walks and now ride public transit around the city, walk the malls, go to movies, eat in restaurants and have even flow to Victoria . . . full steam ahead.

Hugs

Isha

My first time out was at a nearby club not long after I moved into the place that I live at now. I had scouted out the place prior so I knew that I would be safe. There was a lesbian couple at the bar that kept looking at me so I went over and talked to them. They were so nice and friendly and I spent a few hours hanging out with them. They offered me a ride home at the end of the evening, so I told them my address. Well, it turns out that THEY WERE MY NEW UPSTAIRS NEIGHBORS!!! We had a good laugh and have been great friends since. One of them even gave me my first little black dress