Thread: Encounters with the muggles

Encounters with the muggles

While out and about last week I had 2 differing encounters with muggles.

First one; I was just about to drive out of a visitor centre car park as a 30 ton lorry was pulling in along the single lane access road so I pulled over to one side to let it in. The driver then stopped his truck next to my car so I couldn't leave. I sat there for a few seconds expecting him to move forward, nothing happened so I looked up towards the cab. There was this grinning fool looking down. Now it could be that I'd been read and he was having a chuckle at my expense or, as I was wearing a V neck Tee shirt and displaying a bit of cleavage he was enjoying the view. Well a few seconds more passed and he moved off never hopefully to see each other again.

Second one: I'd pulled into a car park next to a lakeside beauty spot to clean the inside of my windscreen as the sun was getting low in the sky and dust on the screen was making it difficult to see while driving. Popped out the car to get some paper towel and a bottle of water from the boot and noticed 2 GG's walking in my direction about 75-100 metres away but thought nothing of it and got on with wiping the screen. The 2 GG's appeared along the side of the car and it was obvious they were trying to get a better look at me albeit surreptitiously. Walking around the front of the car they then stood about 4-5 metres off to the drivers side and both got out the smartphones and made as if to take photos of the lake in all it's spender. However I had the distinct impression they were angling to get a pic of me. Body language speaks so loudly. So I looked at them so if they did take a pic then it would have to be brazen voyeurism. Gave it a few moments and left having finished what I set out to do.

OK, lets assume for the sake of argument I'd been made in both cases. It goes with the territory. Truck man, well he's just a neanderthal whichever way, they exist. The 2 GG's trying to get a pic. That's the one that got to me if only because of the level of bad manners displayed. Had they taken a pic then I don't think I could have let that go. I would like to think I'd have responded in kind but overtly not covertly. Smartphone out and click away and see how they like having their personal space invaded. I know it's not good to get into conflict situations but there are times when ground needs to be stood and attitudes and behaviors challenged.
    Last edited by Helen_Highwater; 11-17-2014 at 01:47 PM.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Gone to live my life
    Hi Helen,

Well, you can't be sure if you were read but even if you were, you handled it with grace and poise. You are right though, for those of us who go out, getting read goes with the territory and the best thing to do is accept it. I am of a mind set that so long as they are not overtly rude (taking a picture would be such a thing in my book) I normally smile and move on.

Glad to hear it is not getting you down though.

Hugs

Isha

Platinum Member
    I think you handled both encounters appropriately.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Well done Helen... I think it all comes down to -

Boys will be boys , and girls (with smartphones) will be girls (with smartphones!)...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

I understand the trucker might not have read you and was just wanting to take a cleavage look and could have possibly taken a photo as well. Some of the truckers here have a small camera so they can grab a picture of the vehicle they are passing and also be sure to get one if the car has a flashing gal inside. The girls sounds like they could have made you. I would understand you getting upset about them wanting a picture. It would make me upset and probably wouldn't have dealt with it as good as you, but as Isha says it comes with the territory.

Well I'd say you handled both situations with aplomb Helen. What amazes, and disheartens, me these days is that no-one asks permission for taking photos anymore. If you don't have the guts and/or courtesy to approach someone and ask if it's okay to take a picture, put the camera/mobile phone away.

Sarina,
    As you allude to, no-one has the manners to ask, they just think they have a right to and that's what annoyed me. RUDE and bad form!
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed