Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bigotry and hatred in the LGBT community

Quote Originally Posted by I Am Paula View Post
    The only transphobic remarks I've ever gotten were from lesbians in gay bars.
    Funnily, one of the places that I'm most comfortable is in a well known lesbian bar in London. I've never had any even slightly negative remarks there. Online can be a different story!
    Just goes to show that YMMV!

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    The reality is that there is no "LGBT Community," it is simply a tool for political manipulation.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    You got THAT right!

I think that we're kidding ourselves if we think that 'T' is doing anything within LGBT other than helping to make up the numbers and that we (T) are rather more interested in being part of LGBT than LG&B are in having us! At present we have some usefulness in that we bulk up the numbers. But all that we really have in common with the LGB lobby is that we're the victims of discrimination etc. The L/G Lobby has been pretty successful in making progress towards L&G being perceived as "mainstream" (with B quietly riding their coat tails). The more progress they make in that regard then the greater the danger that we will become the rather awkward relation that no one wants to own up to! Cos we're not going to be "mainstream" anytime soon.

Having said that, I have to acknowledge that the girls who staff and frequent a certain well known lesbian bar in Soho, London are VERY friendly and accepting! I consider it to be a safe and welcoming place.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle.M View Post
    I have, and it was a decidedly unpleasant surprise. This person was so committed to an ideology that facts were merely an inconvenience that threatened the accepted dogma of what was considered to be the established principles of their particular interpretation (an error-filled interpretation, IMO) of Radical Feminism.
    I woul;d not consider that to be a real conversation. I have been a member of a gender critical discussion group which includes both radical feminists and persons with a trans background. Interestingly, the fundamental positions with respect to gender are not so far apart. There are always golden calves to be slaughtered on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn Michele View Post
    Us vs them is always and forever. Animal Farm has it right..
    It seems that everyone wants to bite everyone in the ass all of the time ......
    "Never forget the many ways there are to be human" (The Transsexual Taboo)