Thread: PTA Meeting

PTA Meeting

I went to my first PTA meeting last night. Part of coming out has been to make sure to attend all of my son's new school functions as myself. No Brent! Last nights meeting was about the anti bullying efforts at the school. I thought it was important to go as I am afraid my son could face bullying because of my TS status.
    A fellow mother, who is also in AA with me, met me there. I was expecting a large crowd but other than the three member panel there were only 7 other mothers present. I listened to the presentation and then there was a question and answer period. I raised my hand and said I was afraid my son might face this because I was transgender. I also told the panel that the hand full of male friends he had told so far had been supportive and kind. Can you imagine sixth grade boys being like that? I also asked if they specifically addressed TG targets of bullying. Unfortunately they do not. However, I felt like I had done my part in raising awareness.
    People were kind after the meeting. I am sure it was a topic of conversation for some but I did feel at least accepted as a caring parent. I am so proud of my son and him allowing me to show up as me! I hope I can give him back all he has given to me.
    Suzanne

Suzanne, I'm glad you went regardless of presentation, (but I'm glad you felt comfortable going as Suzanne) as you saw there was not a good turn out to hear about this very important topic. I can't over emphasize how important it is to be involved in our children's education. Education is under assault from many groups, if we are not involved we don't know the truth of what is going on in the schools.

My 2 cents!!!

Hugs, Bria

Platinum Member
    I'm also glad you attended. It's a shame so few parents chose to participate.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Suzanna
    Glad you had the courage to go and it went well.
    The turn out is sad but a lot of parents just don't get involved in their children's schools.

I don't have any kids, Suzanne, but you fill me with pride. And I'm proud of the Bay Area, too--my old home.

Lallie
    Time for a change.

Suzanne,

I'm glad you were able to go to the PTA meeting as yourself, and to be able to raise awareness of bullying of TG or their families or friends. I'm really proud of you, and I hope to see you continue to be yourself and flourish in your transition. I also wish your son the best, and hope that the school can protect him from bullies and discipline any of his classmates who do bully him.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

Well done Suzanne!! Very brave. What you did is important for you, for your son and for those in attendance (albeit small in number). Raising awareness is always a good thing. You are a good mother.

Erin
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

Hi there just like to congratulate you , its such a big thing, I remember I was so nervous when I had my first get-together as a new PTA member, you will find its so rewarding. now 3years down the road. Just enjoy it and pull your weight.

Hi I am so glad you and your son are going thru this together, He will grow up very well adjusted to life with no fear of what this world has to offer in this matter. I was a closeted dresser for many years fearing all the ugly things people will say about me. I came out to my family this year and to my surprise they had no problems except only a few people. I now live as Gina full time and love being who I am a women. My son is 16 years old and he told me he knew about me but was waiting for me to tell him, he as told all his friends about his new mom and they all adjust well. Wish the you the best and keep living who you truly are.