Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So it is hopeless!

So it is hopeless!

I don't want to hijack the thread reverse therapy so this post.

I have read it for years on this forum. I have read it for years in books. I have spent the last 4 years with a counselor. I have heard it form others. But daxxit how do I put this aside?

Even in the recent book thread someone said something about reading many books and that was akin to trying to find a way out or it was it justification. I know I have spent the last 5 years working on this and finding myself and I am constantly trying to find a solution to putting my life back on the old track. However, all I ever hear is that it won't work. I know it is my life and I can choose to get off at the next station but what I hear, read and feel is it won't work.
    Somewhere, some when, some how through hard mental work I could make it. However, I hear that I would be the lucky one if I could make it. More that likely somewhere, somehow somewhen I will self destruct. God what a pain in the mind and body and axx. Why? Why me? What makes me so special? I just want my old life back!!!

It's poop aint it!

The same question could be put of all the people with disability or a terminal disease, we have this life and you live it the best way you can. It isn't a given you will self destruct, perhaps you will continue to endure, everyone is different, your path is not the same as mine. But being Trans is who you are and that's going no where, all you have control over is how you deal with it.

All my life I felt hopeless, transition has given me a light at the end of the tunnel. It's tough, very very tough but there is hope where there wasn't before, sometimes you can't see it but it's there.

All the best.

Aspiring Member
    I have written this exact thing many times here. I want nothing more than to put my life back.. but do I really? Do you?

It was put like this to me. Do you want to go back to the lies? The constant hiding? Feeling like something is wrong all the time? The self destruction?

I have to Remer this whenever I think about going back. I have said no to going back. Though with that said i have said i will go forward how i want. That is my new journey now. How to go forward on the path I want.

My understanding of all this is that we all have the issue per say but a total and individual exp with how we deal. I know in my case that all and everything always leads back to the same place. I for one hate it but I want to live life. Though this doesn't mean I am still fighting to go at Mt pace and be me.

good luck and i get it
    Professional thread killer.

No, I don’t want to go back, ever. It was beyond awful. The flip side is the moving forward can be painful in very different ways. But, the walls of pain don’t last forever. If anything I’m learning is that don’t dwell on things too long. Make an informed decision, enact that decision (where the pain points usually exist), then live it out.

You may never get your old life back, yet making the new one can be better, and most often times is better.

Quote Originally Posted by GabbiSophia View Post
    I have written this exact thing many times here. I want nothing more than to put my life back.. but do I really? Do you?

It was put like this to me. Do you want to go back to the lies? The constant hiding? Feeling like something is wrong all the time? The self destruction?
    Thankful for crossdressers.com, great people here have helped me realize who I really am on the inside. (formerly michelle1)

Any one can change there habit, and act different to how you are. For me this in not a Habit, it not a chose, it how I am. One can't change who they are, you can chose to act different, one can be in denial of who they are, it changes noting. When I was in denial I was not a happy person, sad all the time, since I have accepted this is how I am, I am a much happier person, that does not mean, all is good in my life, accepting who you are does not change the challenges that we have, it only change the attitude towards those challenges.

Silver Member
    It's only hopeless if it is hopeless as the saying goes. That is, you either find a way to cope or else transition. The other version you hear all the time is don't transition unless you have to.

I'm not sure if I was the one to which you referred in the books thread, but if so, my comment did not pertain to action, whether construed as putting your life back together or transitioning. Rather, it was that the perception of your sex (a phrase that I am coming to see as more accurate than the term "gender") is not a product of conscious thought or manipulation. You cannot think your way into it or out of it. What you do – or have to do – about whatever that is is another thing entirely.

In my opinion, dysphoria is the driver pushes you to resolve … the dysphoria! What happens when the dysphoria is gone or under control is far more interesting.
    Last edited by LeaP; 11-24-2014 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Lea

Silver Member
    Why? Why me? What makes me so special?
    Well, why not you?

Anyway, you really want your old life back stop hanging out on transgender sites or having anything to do with it, focus on that man life. Purge all your womens cloths. Push all this nonsense out of your mind, or at least into the furtherest corner you can and forget about it. You'll be fine.

Untitled
    Arbon you forgot to add, besides we will be here when you come back

Anne, no-one can tell you how it will be for you, you have to make your own choices, based on what you think is right for you. A true TS will eventually realise that everything that went before the "realisation" was a false representation. Read the stories behind the ladies on this site, I bet you 99% asked why me?

As Arbon has said, if this is not you, then try to move away from the TG community, get some therapy and move on with the life you believe is yours.
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

Pantyhose for everyone! Jennifer_Ph's Avatar
    If I could find the off switch I'd flip it, duct tape it, super glue it, anything to keep it off.
    xxoo
    Jennifer

If you could pick who you were before you were born, that would make you special...

You are not special except in one way, the same way everyone is special..i know what i'm saying...I felt the same way...this happens to other people..this can't be happening to ME...I am not a transsexual...that's not possible...on and on..
    .but like me, you are just like any other human being filled with gifts and issues, strengths and weakness, and with a singular precious identity that is yours alone to experience.

You cannot control it. It just is..its nature...its your nature... do with it what you will... you are expressing things in terms of hopelessness, but that's too general and not constructive...if you need to do something learn to cope without feeling helpless...
    right now that feeling of hopeless IS the problem..

what is your quality of life? what can you do to improve it? what is holding you back from improving it? what can you do differently over the next five years to feel better???
    These are messy prickly detailed questions..they are hard to answer...the answers might be scary or not what you want...it takes work....perhaps you've been doing some of this for the past five years but so far its only got you to right here, right now......its easier to howl at the moon but it won't get you anywhere..

You can do anything you set your mind to do....there are dozens of people that are here right now that are living proof

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne Elizabeth View Post
    I am constantly trying to find a solution to putting my life back on the old track. However, all I ever hear is that it won't work. I know it is my life and I can choose to get off at the next station but what I hear, read and feel is it won't work.
    You must not hear what nearly everyone in these forums is saying then. Don't transition unless you have to. If there is anything more important to you than being whole, don't transition.

At the moment, from what you write, I would say that holding on to your old life is more important to you than being congruent, so don't transition.

Go back to playing the role of a man. If you succeed, we would stand by and cheer, except that you won't come back to let us know.

Thee are plenty of people out there who manage to live with Gender Dysphoria for prolonged periods. However, if it does get to the stage where you need to transition, don't let anything stand in your way.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

I'm not clear exactly what you are talking about so may I ask a few questions?

1 are you a transexxual? I don't mean someone who wants to be a woman, or who wants to be in the middle somewhere. Are you a woman? A TS is a woman. Plain and simple. She knows it usually from birth but eventually from therapy, and will either eventually transition or spend a lot of time living with the misery. If you are a true transsexual, there will be a major issue with going back.

2. Have you transitioned? Living full time, everyone knowing? Name, work, everything? Or are you in the beginnings, middle, or not started yet? What are you trying to "put aside? Is it gender dysphoria? or something permanent you have already done?

3 When you say you can "make it" what are you talking about exactly? What have you lost that you so want to get back?
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

It's a common story; the soldier, injured at war, returns home. Through professional help and his own spirit, the soldier lives a full, productive, and most importantly, happy life, despite the missing limb(s).

If those wounded warriors can accept their own reality and live life to the best of their ability, shouldn't we too?

That question is directed more to myself than anyone else.

Best wishes
    MsVal

Platinum Member
    Anne, it's your life. What you read or hear are not immutable forces. They are experiences of others. But we are a diverse lot. As others have already said, you may choose to focus on living a male life, attempt a balance of genders or, if you're Tsh you may need for transition to survive. None of these choices come with a guarantee of success or happiness. You pretty much have to make the best choice you can at the moment, live with it a while and see how it's working for you.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

That is part of the problem I can not seem to be able to set everything aside. Just when I think I have a handle on it it comes back.

That is just it Rianna nothing is more important than being whole. And, unfortunately I don't believe I can set it aside and man up, funny those are the exact words my wife used. Man up.
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 11-20-2014 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Multiposts

Quote Originally Posted by Anne Elizabeth View Post
    I don't want to hijack the thread reverse therapy so this post.
    You pose a great question, deserves discussion. All I can do is share my own experience.

I have read it for years on this forum. I have read it for years in books. I have spent the last 4 years with a counselor. I have heard it form others. But daxxit how do I put this aside?
    It's possible, but it's VERY DANGEROUS! I started to transition is 1989. At that time, i had finally seen a qualified therapist who realized that i was a type 6 transsexual. Quite simply, if i didn't transition, there was a very high probability that I would die relatively young. I started seeing a therapist, did all the assignments, and was living all BUT work as Debbie. I was seriously considering transition at work and had an employer who would be supportive.

Then my ex-wife hit me with an ultimatum. I could either stop transition, or she would take the letter written by a social worker in her church, and deliver it to a judge in her church, and I would never see the kids again, or have contact with them, but I would still have to pay her and her husband half my after-tax income as child support and "day care". Within 6 months after I quit dressing, I started gaining weight. Within 2 years my weight had almost doubled. I had a heart attack, and a few years later, a stroke. Because i had stopped caring - about my appearance, my health, my blood pressure, any of it. I wasn't going to commit suicide, but I wasn't going to extend the misery any longer than i had to.

Aborting transition is similar to the experience I felt when I hit puberty and started growing hair, my voice dropped, i got too tall, and my feet got big. At that point in my life, my self destruct mechanism took the form of booze and drugs - at age 14 I started drinking and drugging at least 2 nights a week, and often more. I usually combined booze, pot, antihistamines, and Valium (misdiagnosed epilepsy) to put myself into black-outs where I would either end up with my head between someone's legs, or would verbally castrate enough men to make all of them want to kill me and anyone I was with. The only reason I was invited to parties was because I had the ability to match the girls to the boys in about 10 minutes and the matches seemed to make all of the guests happy.

Of course, on the week-ends that I did not party, I usually got loaded by myself and "went for a walk" - about 4 miles down a dark, poorly lit, curvy road, 4 lanes wide, and I'd play "matador" - trying to touch the cars with my coat - while I was wearing it.

The only reason i even considered aborting transition was because my ex-wife's new husband was physically and verbally abusive to my son, and my ex-wife was abusive to my daughter. I needed to be able to step in if necessary. It almost turned ugly when I tried to GIVE my kids a computer so they could access the Internet from home. As it was, I had to move to the NYC area for work and when I did come to visit, my ex would insist that the kids' schedule was "booked solid" - often inviting her mother to come up from Florida the same week I was there, then claiming that she took priority over me. She would grudgingly give me 2 hours, during which i could buy them dinner. That was 2 hours out of an entire WEEK!

My kids knew about Debbie and were very supportive, but Leslie still had the resources she needed to get my visitation revoked, and maybe even get a restraining order. Because I was "Debbie"

Even in the recent book thread someone said something about reading many books and that was akin to trying to find a way out or it was it justification. I know I have spent the last 5 years working on this and finding myself and I am constantly trying to find a solution to putting my life back on the old track. However, all I ever hear is that it won't work. I know it is my life and I can choose to get off at the next station but what I hear, read and feel is it won't work.
    If you had just spent 10 years in prison, and then got out, would you voluntarily go back even though you had not committed a crime?

Somewhere, some when, some how through hard mental work I could make it. However, I hear that I would be the lucky one if I could make it. More that likely somewhere, somehow somewhen I will self destruct. God what a pain in the mind and body and axx. Why? Why me? What makes me so special? I just want my old life back!!!
    [/QUOTE]

You should plan on creating a really solid support structure if you are serious about aborting. When I aborted, I went to 12 step meetings almost every day, i assisted at Landmark Education (leadership and transformation programs) almost every week-end, and I STILL needed a therapist to deal with some of the inner conflict. And even with all of those extreme measures, doing what I could, I ended up morbidly obese, getting an angiogram, and doing so under a DNR order. I also had a DNR order when I had my stroke.

If you are a true transsexual, suffering from severe Gender Dysphoria - the prognosis for continuing in your birth gender is not good. High suicide attempt rates, self-destructive behaviors, and loss of motivation can all be devastating. Often, sever Gender Dysphoria can trigger severe situational depression - often misdiagnosed as clinical depression.

Too often, for many of us, we have to "die" to transition, and we have to "die" to abort. We "die" to transition because we often have to accept the loss of family, friends, wives, children, community. Some of us have to move to cities where we have legal protection, where medical care is available, and where there is a supportive community. We "die" to abort transition because we have to give up our most powerful hopes, dreams, aspirations, goals, motivations, our self esteem, our security, our ambitions, and our selves, which makes it very hard to do the right things even if you know you should.

I remember when my mother was 63. She had just been told by her doctor that she had post-polio syndrome. When she was 8 years old she'd caught scarlet fever and then got polio. She had reached the point where she could barely turn her head and was having difficulty talking. Her parents took her 60 miles to Denver where they gave her a treatment similar to Warm Springs - but using a small swimming pool and epsom salts. They also had to move her, which was painful. Eventually, to free her from the braces, they moved the muscles from her big toes to her little toes.

When her pulmanologist told her "you have emphysema" and if you quit smoking you might have 5 years, but if not, you'll have 2 years. She didn't smoke as much, because it hurt too much, but she continued to smoke - hoping that her lungs would give out before her legs did. Unfortunately, it was a race to the bitter end, and there were days when she would be in agony from the PPS. Other days, she couldn't even breathe enough to smoke.

You are 56 now. When can you finally be yourself? When you are 66? 76? 86? How about 96 years old? Or will you end up in the nursing home and the staff refuse to let you put on your pretty girl clothes.

Got a faith in an after-life? How does spending eternity in a body you hate sound?

Hoping for reincarnation? if you KNEW you would come back as a girl, with full memories of how much you wanted to be a girl, would you want to wait 30 more years?

Or maybe you're just a cross-dresser, an alpha male who likes to look pretty on the odd week-end - in which case, ignore all of the above.
    Facebook - Debbie Lawrence
    Web - [URL="http://www.debbieballard.org"]DebbieBallard.org{/URL]
    See also:
    Open4Success

Gold Member
    I won't repeat what everyone has said about not transitioning unless you have to. But I will say, once you make the decision you have to, embrace it, own it. Who you are runs deep and you have to let it out to be happy. Not embracing it is like subtly holding yourself back. If you know your life is forward, go forward with energy and intent. Your attitude and happiness will be greater if you move in a path you totally accept as opposed to feeling like you wish you were never confronted with this.

I guess that my feeling of hopeless is that I know what I need to do but maybe the final admission to my self is still looming and I am trying to still fight it but by all logical reasoning it just doesn't seem right. But by all feeling in the heart it seems as I need to transition. Will my life be any better? I don't know. Will my life be any worse? I don't know. It is a journey either way and during that journey I have to make decisions I don't want to but need to. I imagine everybody has to do that. Just when I thought I was on top of most of my life I was forced to address this one issue in my life. Forced probably was not the correct word. Because I knew all along that I needed to and in reality had been addressing it all along. What confuses me is that
    A. Did I think I should have been a girl because that first time I wore womens clothes it felt fun and exciting. Or did it feel fun and exciting because back when I was 5 it felt right in my mind that I should be this way.

B. Did I feel that I should have been a girl back in first grade because I felt they had it easy and did not get into trouble and it seemed like I always was doing something wrong. Or is it because in my mind I just felt I should be a girl.

C. Did I secretly wear female clothes because I liked it and wanted to escape my male life, maybe become someone else? Or did I secretly wear female clothes because It felt right in my mind?

D. Did I secretly wear female clothes because I was always trying to escape some type of conflict? Or did I secretly wear female clothes because my mind was telling me that this is who I really am.

E. Did I secretly wear Female clothes to eliminate stress and take myself away from my current life? O did I secretly wear female clothes because it eliminates stress and that elimination of stress came from my mind because I felt correct in myself when dressed as a female and trying to hide the male.

I want everyone to know that I know it is not just about the clothes. But. that has been the strongest force in my life the clothes always made me feel right. I just keep having that nagging feeling that I am trying to escape things by transitioning.

You see I also so much want to not get a divorce, I so much want to have my wife in my life as a friend and companion but to continue I have to man up and that is where I come from the self destruct. I don't think I can do it. I haven't been able to all my life why could I do i now?

Help me with this. Are some of these feelings similar to your experiences?

every mountain climber does climb with vigor and pursuit of the pinnacle at hand yet so out of reach. There are those who attempt and fail, there are those who settle on dream it self, and then there are those who climb until it is done.
    None of those people are an better then the other, the difference is the pain within, the insecurity to prove to them selves that they can, that life without this climb would be unfulfilled.

However, at the end of all these paths lies the ground, back down where it all started, even the one who has achieved the plateau of the highest peak must then climb down to the reality of life down below.

I am the one who at first tried to make a shortcut, and bypass all the sweat and tears, and end it all right there and then. Well, as you see, I am still here writing these here words. I was spared.

And as I had climbed the highest peak I also realized that transition isn't confined into bodily/corporeal transformation, but there is another, deeper side, that of spiritual transition.

This is were the real transformation does take place, and as I understand, this is where we become true SELF.
    Only through this realm are we able to live the life after climbing down from the heights of euphoria back down to reality at hand.

Pain will never dissipate, nor will joy disappear, but we do enter the realm of truth through which we are able to feel love, for some for the first time, love of self!
    Last edited by Inna; 11-20-2014 at 11:13 AM.

Honey, you can't 'un-see' things.

You seem to have come to a realization about yourself that you can't 'un-see'.

You *can't* get the oblivious version of you back, sorry. You have seen what you have seen.

Why is that a bad thing? Life is change. Friends and companions will ride those waves out with you.

Don't try and be what you *were*, try and be what you *are*.

<3

- MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Silver Member
    Are some of these feelings similar to your experiences?
    I did not want to transition, i was scared to death and held onto my male life until the pain became to great to continue living the way I was. Change was coming whether I wanted it or not.

Will my life be any better? I don't know. Will my life be any worse?
    Transitioning relieved me of a lot of the suffering and inner turmoil I was experiencing. But that came with cost and sacrificing other aspects of my life. Life is better for me, but it is one bumpy ride.

You say it is not about the clothes, but 4 of the five points you had were about the clothes. Lets pretend everyone wears a toga all of us no difference in men and women. Also lets forget the issue of divorce for a while as if I will never be an issue.

Does your body feel and look right to you? Do you have a need to change that?

Do you enjoy the male life? Or do you wish to be as a woman in all things?

If there were no issues at all with family, job, society in general, would you have already transitioned?

Is it really fear that is stopping you, or is it doubt that you are a woman?

As for myself I was terrified of transition. I didn't act on it for so long. It also got to the point that it was going to happen whether I wanted to or not. I am very happy now with the changes. Only a few bumps in the road so far.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Platinum Member
    In reading your second post I am reminded how utterly subjective and unreliable memory can be. Feelings can leave a fairly indelible imprint, but the mind has a way of composing 'memories' that seem accurate but aren't. You are not strapped to a conveyor belt, being drawn inexorably towards transition. Don't let your mind play tricks on you with thoughts of what you think we're memories. Focus on the now, on who you are now, how you feel about yourself, your relationships, your life. If preserving your marriage is as important as you say, then you need to put your other needs and wants in perspective.

I happen to believe...and I think there are examples right here...that one can accept and accommodate ones transgenderism and accommodate ones partner. It takes thought, planning, effort and patience, but it has been done.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Hi Anne

Transitioning is a huge step you take because it's the only step that will lead to that elusive mind/body/spirit unity thing.
    Maybe you're not running away from anything so much as wanting to move to something else.

Rachael I believe that you have hit the nail on the head. The truth to be told I really feel I need to transtition. I really feel that my life will be better if I do simply and basically because I will achieve mind/body/spirit unity. I will no longer be fighting dyshporia, I will no longer be fighting should I or shouldn't I. Sure. maybe I can get off at the next station and go no further but seriously the quality of me life will not be any better. The problem is I am fighting three things in my life. Number one trying to keep a marriage, Two trying to develop a full time art career, Three trying to become my true self. I know I am forward thinking things too much but basically If I transition I lose marriage and I am skeptical that I can support myself by myself. I want it all and can't have any of it.

YOu nailed it when you said mind/body/spirit. I have so confused and lost for most of my life I just want to be ME!
    Last edited by Nigella; 11-22-2014 at 12:44 PM. Reason: There is no need to quote the post preceeding yours