Thread: First outing of the season! Restaurant and Hair cut.

First outing of the season! Restaurant and Hair cut.

I finally shaved my legs today. So, I went on an outing. I wore flats, a blue jean skirt, a nice top, and my guy head. I went to a restaurant and ate lunch. Non-event. The staff chatted with me and never seemed to care about my outfit. I went to a salon where I had never visited before and had my hair cut. The woman who cut my hair commented that she couldn't wear blue jean skirts because of her shape and how they ride up on her. She started the conversation. I did not want to only talk about clothes and appear one dimensional, so I did not encourage the conversation that way. The other customers didn't pay me much attention. One spoke kindly to me before I left. I went to a couple clothing stores. The employees at Talbot's made me feel like I belonged. They (really it was the SA who helped me) were so nice. I just had a really nice time. I was SO happy the rest of the day.

Joey

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    Good for you, sounds like you had a great time. I always go out with my guy head.

Good for you Johanne,
    The only first I have for any season is seeing the first snow.
    I passed the dressing seasons a long time ago.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I went back to Talbot's and bought the dress. The very nice saleslady was so very helpful. She had me try on several beautiful skirts and tops. I could not afford them. She gave me helpful advice and encouragement. She made me feel like I belonged in the clothes. The stuff she gave me fit very well. I think I love this store! She wanted me to have a good idea what worked so I could find something where I could afford it. A few customers saw me. They all took it in stride. Some acted like I was not wearing anything unusual.

Afterward, I went to a consignment store I like to shop in. It was closed. So, I stopped at a thrift store. I was having a hard time finding a shirt to go under my new dress. I asked a female customer nearby for some advice. I was indecisive for a moment and then went with it. I said, "I am a crossdresser and I bought a dress that is too low cut. I need a top that I can wear under it to hide my chest hair." At some point I asked her if this did not make her too uncomfortable, could she help me. She was glad to help me. It turns out she was in her 70s (I couldn't tell). I told her what fabric it was made of and she helped me pick a top that might work. She ended up bringing her adult daughter (in her 50's) in on it to help. I ended up bringing in the dress and trying it with the top. I showed it to them (and accidentally to another customer who passed by.) They both acted like it was no big deal helping a man put together an outfit including a dress.

This year, everyone seems to be more comfortable with my crossdressing than they seemed last year. Salespeople, other customers, and the general public. Has anyone else noticed this change?

It had been three weeks and I needed another hair cut. So, I went back to the same restaurant and the same salon. I wore a black skirt, a black top, a jacket/shell that was a deep Christmas red. Black hose and flats. Again, I always present male. The restaurant was a bit more crowded, but it was a non-event. Then I went to the salon. I went in and was the only customer. All four women were talking. I found my barber/hairdresser and she started cutting my hair. It was different this time. I was not that unusual stranger. I was that returning customer. It was very interesting. We are not friends yet, but it was much more like when I go in drab to get a hair cut. I mentioned that I was going to a work event soon. She asked what I was going to wear. I said which drab clothes and she asked, "Do you dress at work (very slight pause) like you are dressed now?" I think she paused to find her words. Perhaps she was being cautious in order not to be rude. It was so interesting! Of course, I was not threatened or offended by this. I told her that I do not dress around my work friends yet, and possibly never will. A couple customers came in while I was getting my hair cut. One was waiting for my hairdresser. Wow, she was beautifully dressed! Being size 1 (or whatever small number she was) probably opens the door to many more beautiful choices that I seem to find!! I paid and went on my way. My barber wished me a Merry Christmas as I left.

So, I guess I am at a new phase in my crossdressing where I am comfortable making relationships with people while dressed.

Sounds like you are having many accomplishments and making some nonjudgmental friends and helpers along the way. Just wondering why do you keep the guy head ( I know it's the only head you have but) why would you not buy a wig? Either way sounds like you are making some great big steps forward in the dressing.

Jaylen, I keep my guy head because I don't want to be a girl. I never really have. The only time I ever said, "I wish I was a girl," was when I was a kid and I thought that if I were a girl, I could wear these delightful clothes. I have spent a lot of my life thinking that I am quite glad I am a man, except for that delightful clothing thing. I used to feel like I could not wear women's clothes without looking like a woman, so I never went out, or only if I could produce make-up and a wig. So, I almost never went out. A turning point came at one point in my life when I was wearing nude pantyhose with shorts during morning walks. I bought a skirt and decided to wear it instead of shorts. During this process, I realized that people do not react and do not care. I also realized that if I want to wear a skirt as a man, then I can simply do it. Since that realization, I have not worn make-up or a wig. I think I also have not worn a bra.

It is very freeing not having to look like a woman. I go out for lunch at work, change clothes and have a femme lunch and then change back into drab and go back to work. No make-up, no clean-up. It's great!

Congratulations Johanne. I too wear skirt once in a while out in public. My wife forbids it when I am with her however. When I do it I love it, it's fun. I haven't tried dresses yet.

I find it very hard to find a dress that looks good on me...