Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Public vs. Camera Phones, What's Your Experience?

In Public vs. Camera Phones, What's Your Experience?

Do you see people trying to get a picture of you when you are out?

One of my biggest worries when I go out crossdressed is that people will take my picture. However, I have only seen a couple teenagers on one occasion try to get a clear line of sight. I think I thwarted that effort. But I still worry about it. Is it a real problem? I go out during school hours, normally, so I don't see many teens. The adults who see me do not seem to whip out their phones.

Not something I've ever worried about

Reality Check
    Are you easily recognized when crossdressed or not? Do you just slap on a pair of boobs, dress and heels? Do you believe you pass as a woman, might pass as a woman, or there's no chance you will be mistaken for a woman?

If you are recognizable as your male self, that could be a concern because the photos could end up in your employer or spouse's hands or on the Internet. You should be aware though that any expectation of privacy while in public is unrealistic. Gas up your car or go to an ATM and you are being photographed. Most retail stors have cameras all over, even covering parking lots.

If you're properly done up as a woman, it shouldn't matter because all they are getting is a photo of a woman they don't know. Or a crossdresser they don't know depending on your presentation.

Platinum Member
    I've only been photographed twice in public that I'm aware of. Once with Michelle and another time posing with the lady who does my dry cleaning.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    it's happened to me before, most of the time people will come up to me and ask if they can take my pic.

In most areas people are taking photos of themselves or friends.

Yes some places have lots of CCTV but that is there to help protect everyone.

Unless your really stand out no one will be taking your picture.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

I have noticed a teenager trying to discretely take a picture. But I was completely on drab and getting a pedicure/manicure with color. I wanted to tell her that she could get a better picture if she would come closer and hold the camera still.. but I didn't. Just smiled at her instead.

Seems to me in this day and age the only real way to ensure our picture isn't taken is to stay home. Cameras are everywhere, so if we are camera shy or don't want to be photographed we are in trouble.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I can see this being a legit concern. We all know that there are cameras every where to "supposively" protect you and there's not really a way around that unless, like stated above, you stay home. I am sure though that most of the footage isn't reviewed unless there is a reason to be and even then, they don't take all that great of a picture that much detail will be obtained. They will probably just see a woman unless they are specifically looking for something else.

I can see the people part being a bit more problematic as you don't know what their intent is or the reasoning of taking the photo in the first place unless you accidentally photo bomb them. If you see someone pulling out a phone (which for the most part they always have their phones out all the time to begin with) just turn your back to them.
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

Since I'm not courageous enough to dress in public it hasn't happened to me. But I was in Centennial Park in Atlanta one day when crossdresser walked by. Tall, legs that went on forever, tight figure, sexy outfit. That's when I noticed three different people taking photos with cell phones of her. She continued on either oblivious to the attention or enjoying it. So, I do imagine that it happens a lot. Especially if it is obvious that a person is a CD. This gurl was obvious because she was at least 6'4" plus those 4" spiked heels and well, she had a beard.

I been there, I was at the movies a couple of years ago, and went I left I do believe there was a couple of teenage girls with their phones trying to get pictures. I at the age I really don't care, I will be me. Your right too many d-- cell phones, life was so much better when there was no cell phones. hugs.
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE][SIZE="3"]Stacy Lynn Coral[/SIZE]

Silver Member
    I think if you draw attention in public for whatever reason you run the risk of being photographed. I aim to blend so even if I'm read I look like either a masculine looking female or a crossdresser. The OP mentions teens and teen girls are ones to avoid on many levels from my experience.
    Another consideration is that if I'm out shopping I will skip the 4" heels to have more mobility and to draw less attention.

Banned Read only
    In this day and age of cameras everywhere, if you are worried about a picture being taken don't step out the door. Otherwise, own it! If you notice someone snapping a picture stop and strike a pose. The more you let them know you are not ashamed the less power they have.

In this new technology world we are living in we might as well get used to the modern gadgets. The cells are improving yearly and camera security will soon be the law enforcements tool. I am not out in public dressed nor ever intend to be unless you can talk my wife into me going out dressed in a very large town, a long ways from home , and in a safe place where we are the only ones. That's the one thing she did object to when she accepted me as a husband that loves the cross dressing. I am basically an under dresser when out. I am not worried about the cells taking pictures but they are a very big problem when they are using them as they are driving at the same time. I figure for those of you that do dress and go out in public then it could be a problem. Especially if you are not wanting the boss or your employment knowing about your private life. I think CDs should stay away from places they may be photographed in. I know an ex FBI agent and from what I have learned the new photo recognition tools they have even a very low grade picture anyone has of you you can be identified. We are living in the age of big brother and have really given up lots of freedoms because of it. From folks staring at Crossdressers to folks documenting with phones n cameras in hands, to posting your pictures on the net for the whole world to see. We are lucky that it's not a crime here though to pose as the opposite sex in public so odds are the only thing that could happen is someone that recognizes you will see the photo. I'm like Stacy there's too many D--- phones.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Joanne~ View Post
    I can see the people part being a bit more problematic as you don't know what their intent is or the reasoning of taking the photo in the first place unless you accidentally photo bomb them. If you see someone pulling out a phone (which for the most part they always have their phones out all the time to begin with) just turn your back to them.
    Good suggestion, just turn your back to people who are whipping their phones out.

Quote Originally Posted by CD Tammy View Post
    Since I'm not courageous enough to dress in public it hasn't happened to me. But I was in Centennial Park in Atlanta one day when crossdresser walked by. Tall, legs that went on forever, tight figure, sexy outfit. That's when I noticed three different people taking photos with cell phones of her. She continued on either oblivious to the attention or enjoying it. So, I do imagine that it happens a lot. Especially if it is obvious that a person is a CD. This gurl was obvious because she was at least 6'4" plus those 4" spiked heels and well, she had a beard.
    Pretty obvious and not trying to "blend", then!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarasometimes View Post
    I think if you draw attention in public for whatever reason you run the risk of being photographed. I aim to blend so even if I'm read I look like either a masculine looking female or a crossdresser. The OP mentions teens and teen girls are ones to avoid on many levels from my experience.
    Another consideration is that if I'm out shopping I will skip the 4" heels to have more mobility and to draw less attention.
    I aim to blend, too. Your policy of drawing as little attention as possible is good.
    Last edited by Shelly Preston; 11-20-2014 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Merged - Please use the multi quote button

I posted only a few days ago about having 2 GG's who I'm sure were trying to take a covert pic of me on their smartphones. I just looked the, "I know what you're trying to do" look so they knew they were the ones being watched and they seemed to give up on the idea.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    I long time ago, when I first started going out, my wife told me of someone who snapped a picture of me with their phone. I had no idea, but she clearly saw him do it. It was not a teen, but an adult. So what came of it? Nothing. Though I did feel like the zebra at the zoo. OH well. Lots of worse things can happen in life besides someone taking my picture and sharing it with their friends.

A long time ago I lived in Papua New Guinea and worked amongst some people who were literally just stepping out of the Stone Age. It was fascinating and one thing that I learned then was to respect other people. If you wanted to take a photograph of someone, you had to ask their permission. The taking of a photograph was considered to be more than rude; it took away something from the subject and it was no light thing. It was not just an invasion of their privacy but an assault on their soul.

Cell phones with cameras have brought on an epidemic of selfish and bad behaviour that goes well beyond the random snapping of photos of strangers. I don't know if there is much we can do about it except to be prepared.

Banned Read only
    I never worry about it. If it happens, I have not noticed it and it speaks more about the taker than the subject. I am totally unrecognizable in girl mode so there are no dots to connect.

I charge six bucks to have my photo taken, most people charge five.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly Preston View Post
    In most areas people are taking photos of themselves or friends.
    Yes some places have lots of CCTV but that is there to help protect everyone.
    Unless your really stand out no one will be taking your picture.
    That is about it.
    They are probably doing selfies while driving and making duck face.
    Besides, the scenario some CD imagine is - some obnoxious teenager takes a photo, posts it on the social website of the month, it goes viral and the CD's life is ruined.

The reality is - chances of someone knowing and recognizing you are slim to none. Your photo will get lost in the sea of other stupid crap people post.
    If someone is distinctly looking for photos of TG, they are not looking for some random TG person walking around in public, they are looking for... well, we all know.

So yeah unless you are doing something REALLY bizarre, no one cares.
    In that rare case your boss calls you in the office, pulls up a photo of some CD walking around walmart and says, "Johnson, is this you?" Why no, no it isn't
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    The only time this was a concern was the first time getting my hair done at a local salon. It was one of my first true public outings that I had fully enfemme. I was sitting in the chair and across from me a girl was having her hair dried and busily taping on her smartphone. A few times she seemed to raise it a bit higher which gave me the sense that perhaps she was taking a picture. She didn't present any obvious body language that would indicate she was picture taking. Whatever...nothing I could do about it and I wasn't about to make a scene.

As many have indicated cameras are everywhere and a fact of life. Just have to be comfortable in your own skin.

Cheers... Jennifer

Banned Read only
    Unless you dress totally OTT I would doubt it's going to be a problem ! Even if it did it would float around the internet with millions of other images !

Shelly raised an interesting point about CCTV, if you were out dressed and saw something that you might be called to be witness to, that could cause a few problems !

During a recent shopping trip with a friend we were looking thru those endless clearance racks. There were several other ladies doing the same, it was a busy day.
    I watched this gal carefully working her phone as if she was checking it. She would frequently glance at me then at her phone. I was on to this so I started moving in her direction and closed the gap between us.
    It was fun to watch her attempts at framing us in her phone camera as I continually shopped in her direction. She eventually gave up, but I wonder if she got the pic she was after.
    BTW I didn't find anything.
    "Missed it by that much!"

Part-time girl... Tracy Hazel Lee's Avatar

Own it

If somebody wanted to take my pic, and I noticed them, I would most definitely look straight at them and own it... The chances of them knowing anyone else that I know, are somewhere between very slim and zero. What would you rather have? A negative confrontation? Or a snapped photo? Seems like an obvious choice to me.
    Tracy Hazel Lee

@URNA @Flickr