Thread: dressing and working, and all that

dressing and working, and all that

Wondering whether to work on the bathroom today (construction) or dress for office work. Decided to do both.

I finally bought a 18v Li-Ion tool set, and have been wanting to use it. I needed to re-do the downstairs bathroom lights and mirror. The thing is from the 1960s. Awful floursecent tubes… So I got a nice mirror, and two sets of 4 place lights for the sides of the mirror- rather than over the top. I’ve got 8 LED bulbs in- it makes for a fantastic makeup mirror, a dimmer is necessary no question, but even at full power, drawing only 60 watts. I like this.

I had started removing the cabinet earlier, found the electrical stuff needed and bought it. Stopped halfway through the job at bedtime.

When I got up this morning I tossed on a grey patterned belted knit dress from Meijer’s, with a long sleeved cute red sparkly (holiday type) bolero/shrug to start on office work, but I kept getting distracted thinking about the bathroom project. So I put on some work gloves (women's of course), and slowly worked on finishing the job. Not wanting to make as much mess, I vacuumed as I worked, cleaning up each little pile of sawdust or plaster dust. I stayed in flats and hose, though I did take off the bolero. I had a lot of fun doing the work, little bits at a time, keeping things clean.

Plus, I bought new hand tools, (un-needed) and I got to play with them. Milwaukee, and DeWalt, and Vise Grip are making some nice new hand tools, fun to play with, especially in a dress. It feels good though, nice tactile sensations. Maybe i'm just in a good mood, I'm even enjoying (to a degree) trying to work and stay clean- makes dressing up more accessable and utile. The gloves look incongruous, but then so does the dress. Hey, at least they are feminine looking, that's the key thing for me at this point. And another plus, when i got done, i washed my hands and put on hand lotion, something i rarely do in 'guy mode'.

I took no more than twice as long, but there was less swearing and banging my hands than usual, which was good. I almost felt like I was doing a Julia Child or Martha Stewart episode. And seeing all the remodeling shows with women doing the work, makes me rather envious. Granted a dress is not appropriate work wear, but there are technical jobs where one dresses professionally despite doing dirty work. But yes, looks like I’ll be hitting the LL Bean Catalog for some feminine “workwear”. I've been wanting to expand the foundation....

*~Plain-Vanilla TG Girl~*
    i love doing that!

things may get done a tiny bit slower, but with much more finesse...and
    therefore, a better quality of work. so there's a logical and sensible
    reason to get dressed up before i even get started....lol!

Coincidentally, I've just this morning had to fit a new bedroom curtain rail for my m-in-law... guy mode, of course...

Not a major job by any means, but hacksawing a curtain pole to length and plugging crumbling plaster around a concrete lintel and all I can think is: "this is doing my nails no good whatsoever!"

So a little tlc for nails today and perhaps some colour at the weekend... If I was working at home I might be tempted to slip on the high heels, partly because I can then reach our curtain rails comfortably without steps...

Girls and tools, eh...?

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

*~Plain-Vanilla TG Girl~*
    we should start a working girls picture thread.

No! not that kind of working. (you bad things!)

lol!

Platinum Member
    A couple years ago I remodeled a half bath whilst en femme. Well, actually, just wig, foundation garments, and make up, with a tank top and shorts. It took just a weekend, but it was one of the more enjoyable home improvement projects I've undertaken.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

It seems that dressing might have put you in a different frame of mind and approach to the work. Interesting.

To add support to Nicole's comments yes dressing appropriately often puts you in the right frame of mind for doing just about anything.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I love doing things like that. when dressed even housework.
    Angie

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    Love this thread!

Nothing better than a spot of home improvement in gauzy pink panties- I speak with decades of experience in both

Platinum Member
    Hi Kristi, No matter how I'm dressed for home projects I always worry about breaking a nail.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Thanks everyone for such great support and responses. After i posted this i really felt it was kind of an odd post... It is so... tertiary or something---- so un important, so ancillary or just this silly little sidebar... yet it feels so significant and important. I think i'd be a more considerate, deliberate, and effectual person, were I female, or dressed female full time.

The really funny thing is, I don't think 95% of the people i know would give it all that much thought. So why am i such a chicken? no answer, no excuse. i'm sure there are legitimate considerations, but WTF? I've bullied/barged my way through so many things when 50% of the people probably think i'm gay (idiots have poor gay-dar, and cannot understand that fact...), what the hell would crossdressing do to change this? If anything, my default response to challenges is to get more into the face of the opponent, and simply not acknowledge they have a point to argue in the first place. It comes off as way more confident than I really am. Unless it is standing up for others- then I am not brave at all. Bravery takes courage, and in cases like the aforementioned, standing up to a bully, scares the crap out of me, but seeing others assaulted angers me so that i simply do not care- time to dive in. I block all fear as a defense, it really is not bravery.

Well, at least i can play at home. And at least i'll get stuff done.

Next project is to put in 3 more light switches in the bedroom, so we can turn off the overhead lights from the doorway or either side of the bed. Right now the switch is behind the door... Very odd. We have gotten used to not using these lights, but it is time to change. The bedroom is a 30x20" attic space/dormer. It's twice the size of the master bedroom, and my wife's old bedroom (we bought the house she grew up in), so it's where we sleep.

I'm using molded exposed metal conduit and boxes, not pretty, but better than ripping out the walls. That will come later.

Then i'll 'lazy susan' the closet- it's not big enough nor located well enough to make a walk in closet without wasting room and window space. So i'll put together a 6' OD revolving clothes rack, and use the hollow core as shoe storage and such. I'll make 70% of the space dual level racks, and with lost footage for the 'mini walk in' shoe area, i'll still have 24' of rod space for 36 sqft, vs .6' for 15 sqft now...

Now, what outfit would give maximum satisfaction when doing this?

k

Great post!! I love doing project and housework while dressed appropriately, I even enjoy working out more in a sports bra, forms and pink tennis shoes and shorts. There is something that just makes me more productive and willing to do things I don't normally want to do in "guy" mode.

Charlotte