Thread: When I am old I shall wear purple...

When I am old I shall wear purple...

My NYC two-week all-girl challenge ended the morning of Day 11. That was the morning after tango class with my wife and our ggirlfriend, and I was still floating all aglow. I shaved close that morning but did not present en femme – my tango experience truly had left me feeling fulfilled and complete.

I’m OK with that. That day I worked en drab in the apartment with my client on her project, and with my wife on chores and futzing around. Shopped for groceries, walked our friend to her bus. There was nothing stopping me from dressing to any level I chose, but I chose to not think about it, the line of least attention. For me, that was underdressing with stockings and a lacy cami (baby it’s cold outside), girl jeans, guy shirt, shoes and coat. No bra no forms no butt pads no pantyhose no wig no makeup no jewelry no purse no perfume no shawl no 2nd pair of cute shoes for when we get there.

And here’s the thing: except for the folderol and detail of dressing en femme, daily living in the city doesn’t feel any different en femme or en drab. Nobody blinks an eye and once I am out and about, neither do I.

Despite New Yorkers’ reputation for being brusque and rough, I have always found Manhattan to be friendly and our East Village neighborhood to be friendliest. Perhaps because of the anonymity of vast population, people talk to each other casually. It is easy to strike up a conversation on the bus, in the drugstore line, at the deli, in the museum or theater lobby, at the bar and nightclub. However in all my life as a man, I’ve tended to hang back and watch, to avoid these interactions and not be the one to speak first. This time en femme, more than ever before, I found myself picking up my end of the baton, responding with an open face, even initiating chat. By the end of the challenge I’m doing so significantly more often and with warmer intention than ever before, not trying to do anything but noticing that it is just happening. I like this change. I wonder whether it can now spill into my regular life en drab. Last couple of days, yes.

I have no illusions, during any close encounter I am certain to be read as a man in a dress. But in ten days full-time, out and about every day and often for the whole day and evening, no-one stared at me in any way that I could detect, no whispers nor pointed fingers, no-one said an unkind word, no-one questioned me inappropriately or rudely. It is really different now compared to how it was ten and even five years ago.

I think this is due to several factors. Foremost is the vastly increased social awareness for all things trans, thanks to groundbreaking books, television shows, movies, and high-profile personalities, not to mention gay marriage. But also, I’ve had a lot of practice and spousal support dolling up so my presentation is mostly coherent, I’ve had a lot of positive feedback so my comfort and confidence are high, and my behavior seems truly to be softer even as I remain mostly my usual self. And finally, I’m at an age where raging hormones have subsided and men and women all begin to look more alike.

Whatever, it’s been a great experience and a milestone on my journey. I liked it a lot.

Still, while I dress at home, I don’t go out en femme in the smallish Pennsylvania city where we live most of the time. I’m rethinking that now. I think of the red-hat ladies, and the poem, “When I am an old woman I shall wear purple…” Well, purple is one of my favorite colors. Or maybe it’s all just purple haze.

I’d like to add that reporting here helps me think. I’ve enjoyed the comments you girls have left, thank you all, and I’m deeply grateful to this site for creating our forum.
    Xxx
    Jackie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jackie. What a wonderful experience and story! Well done. Love the outfit, you look great. No wonder no one batted an eye. !!

I totally get the felling of being out and just going about your normal life and it feeling so natural and just right.

I only have one request.... Next time take me with you!!!!??

Erin
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    I enjoyed reading all the details of your adventure, Jackie -- glad to hear it was such a fulfilling experience!

Thanks Jackie! I have been following your reports, which are very informative. The important thing I learned is to relax, I have been dressing pretty much everyday since I rejoined here, when I get home from work, not forcing it. I don't have to go for the complete look every time, go with feels comfortable, and I end up looking and feeling better.

I am still at the beginning stages of accepting myself, and this helped a lot.

Another very thoughtful commentary - thanks

Jackie, Thanks again for sharing this experience with us -- it's something we can all learn from.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie7 View Post

I have no illusions, during any close encounter I am certain to be read as a man in a dress. But in ten days full-time, out and about every day and often for the whole day and evening, no-one stared at me in any way that I could detect, no whispers nor pointed fingers, no-one said an unkind word, no-one questioned me inappropriately or rudely. It is really different now compared to how it was ten and even five years ago.

Jackie
    Yes, I think you are quite right here. As another recent post has said, "The times they are a'changin'". Maybe part of this is that New Yorkers are more into their own business than others, but the fact that you fit in and just were part of the crowd is wonderful. I recently went to my new dentist's office en femme (as I've done with my previous dentist) and I remarked to the hygienist that I hope she didn't mind that I dressed this way. Her response: "Absolutely no problem. After all, this is 2014." And yes, the increased acceptance of TG'ism on TV and in the media probably has a lot to do with it. Just look at the sea change in the public acceptance of same sex marriage over the past 10 years.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Platinum Member
    I was struck by two comments....1) that you liked the experience a lot and 2) you're are rethinking the idea of going out in your home town. That first extended opportunity to experience life as a woman does change ones perspective...or perhaps it is revelatory. Your experiences demonstrated that you can very comfortably live as a woman, something many of us dream of but, perhaps erroneously assumed could never be.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Thanks, Jackie. Your story of comfortable self acceptance is so encouraging and empowering.
    And, when you're older, you can wear any damn color you want! I remember my Mother's comment on the rising price of coffee many years ago, "If coffee is five dollars a cup, and I want a cup of coffee, I'm going to have a damn cup of coffee!
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Banned Read only
    I've was wearing purple as a guy long before I crossdressed. It is, after all, a royal color.

For me, going out dressed in my town of 11,000 is not an option. The chances of seeing someone from work is too high...
    Last edited by flatlander_48; 11-22-2014 at 10:13 AM.

Why should you wait till you get older to turn purple?
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    When I was still working I wore purple all the time: dress shirt and tie. My wife is a University of Washington alumni. She wears purple all the time. Me? I have a purple dress or two and several purple bras, panties and slips.

I'm happy to hear NYC has become more accepting of sexual minorities. I am a former resident of New York. When I grew up in NYC the residents were not very tolerant of outsiders, i.e., outsiders of the neighborhoods. Where we live now, the most outgoing people are those that are NOT from Washington State. They are the outsiders who frequently have moved and have to make new friends and acquaintances all the time.

Y'all wearing purple, here is the original reference, some women's groups have taken this poem by Jenny Josephs as a kind of anthem. Me too.

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
    With a red hat which doesn’t go, and doesn’t suit me.
    And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
    And satin sandals, and say we’ve no money for butter.
    I shall sit down on the pavement when I’m tired
    And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
    And run my stick along the public railings
    And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
    I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
    And pick flowers in other people’s gardens
    And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
    And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
    Or only bread and pickle for a week
    And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
    And pay our rent and not swear in the street
    And set a good example for the children.
    We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
    So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
    When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

Banned Read only
    Years ago, my first wife read that to me. My reply was "What are you waiting for?".

The "brusque and rough" Manhattenites have all been priced-out and displaced by newly rich arrivals from all over.