Thread: Okay, that was strange...

Okay, that was strange...

Okay, so something strange just happened a few minutes ago at work. I am in my office, when Sam, one of my male colleagues comes in. We start to chat. A few minutes later, John, another colleague stops in my doorway and politely interrupts asking "Can I see you for a minute?" Not sure who he is referring to, Sam asks, "who, me or her?" pointing at me. Dead faced, not joking. I am in drab, but dress casual with v neck sweater (like my avatar, but only in grey) with a black tee shirt underneath and mens dress pants. No foundation or any other make up on (going to the gym at lunch so that gets messy quick!! ). Nails are done, but in clear coating as usual and my eyebrows are shaped. So..???

He apologized and said he hasn't had much sleep lately (young children at home). However, something similar happened a few months ago when a female colleague in the office next door said "thank you ma'am" at the conclusion of a conversation. So, I may be more obvious than I thought?? Don't get me wrong, that is not a problem for me, but wow, that caught me off guard this morning...

Just sayin'

Erin
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

It sounds like you're definitely 'out' at work!

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    Erin;

If your presentation was even close to your avatar then I'd say no surprise you've crossed over intended or not at the office. If not intended the response demonstrates a level of acceptance to an eventual official coming out.

either way a positive.

Cheers... Jennifer

Hi Jennifer....thanks for taking the time to comment!! Sorry, I should have clarified. The sweater I am wearing is similar to the one in my avatar, but that is it, not the hair or make up. Apologies for the confusion.

Fortunately, my work place is very trans friendly, so no issues there. But you make a good point that this could be a positive sign.

Erin
    Last edited by Nigella; 11-24-2014 at 01:13 PM. Reason: There is no need to quote the post preceeding yours
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    I know for me when I do go in the office drab I'm getting a lot more digs on the length of my hair. Haven't been in since getting my ears pierced but I'm guessing at least one guy will notice and say something (not in a hurtful way but he'll likely notice and make an off hand comment).

I've occasionally been misgendered when presenting as a guy, but usually from the back. Never happened at work, but I work in a tiny company so it's unlikely to happen there.

Just a couple weekends ago when getting together with my wife to discuss our life directions twice I go gendered correctly as a mam of ladies and all it is the Hair style. I have also been gendered correctly at work a few times by guests as our company calls them It had to be the hair style. Little long but it feels good hearing it.

erin
    post a his/her picture and let us see the difference so we can tell you where you are going right

A similar thing happened when I was in the office, one of the girls referred to me as her, corrected herself then accidently said her again. It's possible people are instinctively picking up on something?

I never got that from the people who knew me, but Before I transitioned I was getting maam'd a lot by strangers.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Platinum Member
    it really isn't anything at all. Every human being misspeaks... George HW Bush once declared Sep 7 "Pearl Harbor Day". He was a decorated WWII veteran and President at the time...and he knew it was Dec 7. it was just a goofy brainfart. Don't read anything into it.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I get it all the time because I am gothic and make no effort to cover it up, and I have outfits I love wearing, so everything I do gets attention. Given the fact that average peeps will see me fifteen seconds out of their lives and talk for about twenty, I just get past them. Those who know me, like the guy next door who kids me don't give a dam what I do and figure it's my business which I appreciate.