Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My story in the local newspaper

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My story in the local newspaper

In for a penny in for a pound, right?

A local, intrepid newspaper reporter approached me a few weeks ago about doing a story. I agreed to do it. And this morning, the story was published in the local newspaper.

I will say that it's awfully weird reading about yourself in this manner, and in such a public format.

Life, however, as it is wont to do, forever moves on.

And with this article, my closet, my blessed sanctuary that was my closet back in the day that I used to write about on this very forum, has been thoroughly demolished and completely razed to the ground, never to exist again.

Here is the link to the story:

Charleston lawyer stops hiding yearning for life as a woman

http://www.wvgazette.com/article/201...GZ01/141139978

Wow! That is a great article! And you are a great lady for letting them do it! You will probably never know how many people it helps.

Huge hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    Anne;

Despite having a duffus as a cousin your courage, strength, and resolve is clear and a pillar to all of us who follow a similar path of transition.

You are a beautiful lady who is seeing her goals realized. You are a roll model.

Cheers... Jennifer

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    Sounded like it was written relatively sympathetically. Good article, and congratulations Anne!

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    A wonderfully written article. And you are very brave to share your story as a role model for others

What a wonderful article! It's sad, though I suppose understandable, that your marriage didn't survive the transition, but good that you and your wife remain friends. Best of luck to you in the future.

Aspiring Member
    So what does the head of the bull look like? You sure took him by the horns lol. You are way more courageous and brave then i am. Good luck with it
    Professional thread killer.

Anne
    Thank you so much! I hope to be as far out of the closet as you within a year. I applaud your courage and love to count you as a sister !
    Suzanne

Banned Read only
    Wow, when you come out, you really come out. Congrats!

I made it almost all the way through the article before I started crying Anne.

Those strange tears of joy mixed with the sorrow of all the pain you and all of us go through to get to where we are.

On some level transitioning is a choice because it is the choice to choose life over death. To search for the genuine expression of and right to express this self regardless of cost.

Many have been put to death for doing this in the name of the freedom they sought as they tried to escape the tyranny they lived under. Those that have died for a cause have always resonated with me because they were fighting for life.

Being born misaligned imposes its own form of tyranny on us and we to are faced with the dilemma of risking and to some extent destroying our lives to become,discover and know ourselves

In some ways death can seem easier and can be done slowly through alcohol or other acts that we do to escape facing and accepting ourselves when we know that doing so will put us at risk and bring us pain.

We try to avoid pain by finding ways to numb it but the pain returns and paradoxically we must go into and experience even more pain to escape pain.

We must step into and walk through fire to stop being consumed by it's flames.

There were times I feared for your survival as you were pulled violently between the two worlds you were trying and needed to live in. I have been there and was at my most fragile where I could have tipped into that which is anti life.

You were pushed to stop running from yourself by the pain it was causing you and by those who challenged you to face this pain but it was left up to you to find the actual means to do so and pay the price alone for doing so.

I understand why many will see you as being couragous. We know it is not courage but something else yet this something else does have undercurrents of courage to it because it takes courage to choose life even when we have been pushed kicking and screaming toward the choice

At times transitioning made me feel cowardly and I had to be couragous enough to feel this way and to continue.

Beautiful beautiful article and thank you ever so much for sharing it. Love you Anne

P. S I really hate crying in public though. It makes everyone around me uncomfortable and concerned.
    Last edited by KellyJameson; 11-30-2014 at 03:04 PM.
    The Psychology of Conformity
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARGczzoPASo

Mars brain, Venus brain: John Gray at TEDxBend
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuM7ZS7nodk

Anne, thanks for posting, I almost had tears but not quite. Hope all goes well from now on!

Hugs, Bria

You go girl.

Reading the article has given me some much needed strength to carry onward, especially after the hard day I had yesterday when I looked into the mirror yesterday morning.

Thank you for sharing.

Hugs, Liz
    The source of fear is in the future
    And a person freed of the future
    Has nothing to fear

"That's life. It's not always rainbows and farts. Sometimes the farts have a little something extra." -Emma

Rock meet Hard Place.

Awesome! <3 <3

As another member posted today in a TED talk, the hardest thing is sometimes having a hard conversation. We all have our closets, and we all have the right to be ourselves.

Thank you for taking this step

- MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Thanks for the story of you. It was very heart warming, my hopes are for a great new life.
    Big Hug

Thank You for your courage and for the great article .
    I can relate to the emotions and feelings that you shared .

What a great article! I know you don't know me from anyone here, but I am so damn proud of you. I almost cried while I read it. Thank you, Anne, for having the guts to have your story told. You look awesome in the photo, by the way!!
    When the answers escape us when we start to fade
    Remember who loved you and the ones who have stayed
    Cause my body will fail, but my soul will go on
    So don't you get lonely I'm right where you are

Congratulations, Anne! (I did cry)

Congratulations, Anne! Your bravery inspires!

Woman first, Trans second
    Wow, I really liked the way that article was written, and I'm super impressed with how open you were willing to be with them. I think the comment thread made me even happier though - to see so many supportive voices (and to have those voices rapidly shutting down the unsupportive one) is fantastic.
    Last edited by Zooey; 11-30-2014 at 09:06 PM.
    Coming out is like discovering that you've been drowning your whole life after actually breathing air for the first time.

Platinum Member
    Now That is coming out in a big way!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Formerly Deborah Whitney
    Oh Anne. I am so happy for you.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Great article! I'm glad you got a journalist you could trust to tell the truth, your truth.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Silver Member
    Thats one way to get out. I will say it was very courageous of you to do the story. Please be careful though.

Beautiful article, Miss Anne. I feel like I know you a little better now... and the more I know you, the more I like you.

Anne, thank you so much for having to share so publicly. You are having a positive impact in ways you can't imagine. Young men and women who have felt alone their whole lives now know there is someone like them who has been there and became a beautiful woman. Families and friends of transgender boys and girls will be able to read your story and see what the experience and feelings are really like. Hopefully some parents will be talking to their children, and some children will be talking to supportive parents.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
    Facebook - Debbie Lawrence
    Web - [URL="http://www.debbieballard.org"]DebbieBallard.org{/URL]
    See also:
    Open4Success