Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Erf.. *management*

I got a idea for your fingernails, go with clear polish for the first couple of weeks before going with some neutral color that will ease into the more bright colors. Just my 2 cents.

Joan

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    Why not quit and start a rival company- that way you can dictate the dress code.

That could be a lot of fun...

1st day.. I can keep my hair!! (Yay!)

I already did the base-coat thing (ORLY 'Orlon') thing. My nails need it.

I finally got to meet the team, and it is a bunch of geeks. I don't expect that that 'oddities' will be an issue in the long run. I just need to ease into it over the next few months. All their cubes were full of fan and other techie irreverent stuff. I just need to keep myself a level more 'formal' than they are to make this work.

They just need to get that I am 'one of them', and the rest should follow.

*happydance* (cloppity-clop-clop)

- MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Congratulations on your first day, and hundreds of days to follow.

It sounds like it could be a fun and relaxed place to work.

Best wishes
    MsVal

MIDI warrior princess Amy Fakley's Avatar
    By "remote support", does that mean your entire team is offsite/working from home or whatever? that's increasingly the case in the IT world. If so, you probably have a lot more leeway than you think. All you really need to do in That scenario is look square enough to get past the HR/interview process, and after that, you'll be lucky to meet another coworker in person once every couple years.

I ran a team of that nature for a little more than 10 years (I worked from home as well). It definitely had its up sides in respect to dressing how I wanted, but the challenges involved with running an IT team spread across three continents from your spare bedroom ... they are not insignificant, no matter how pretty you get to be at work. Not saying it can't be done, but if you're stepping into something like that, be prepared to throw everything you know about management technique right out the window, lol. On the upside, absolutely nobody will know or care how you look :-)
    "Why shouldn't art be pretty? There are enough unpleasant things in the world." -Pierre-Auguste Renoir

Two teams, field engineers and remote support. Some companies only sign on for the remote stuff.

We still need to integrate with the field guys. If we run into a solution that requires many hours to solve, it is best that it gets handed off to a field engineer... that isn't happening now. Very little integration between the field and remote teams. I plan to change that, and my boss is looking for exactly that.

I need to be in the office every day and have a tie & blazer handy for client meetings. My sparkly pink fingernails would distract from that. I will just be happy to be able to wear my earrings. (I got my hair, what else can I get?)

Not being greedy, a girl just wants what she wants

- MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

My 3 cents based on what I've seen from my years in executive management...

Being "different" is fine these days with a significant tolerance and protection built into the system. However, being different only gets you so far -- up top, it's still called the "old boys club" for a reason, and unless you work for a significantly progressive company without glass ceilings, your ability to rise within an organization stops because you are different. It's the ugly and unpopular reality. At some point, someone in the company will consider "do I want this individual to be the model by which others associate with this company", and if not the growth stops. It makes me sad, but I have seen it too often.

It may almost be 2015, but from my various management jobs, we're a long way from finding the guy in the dress, stilettos and painted nails in the corner office as a regular occurrence. Dress for what others want may be the worst form of oppression, it is still a prerequisite to rise to the top in probably 95% of companies out there. Careful out there!