Thread: depression

depression

I suffer from depression. When I dress it all goes away and I feel great. Anyone else feel this way. Dressing seems to be the only thing that helps

I say dress more often then. Anything that helps you not be depressed, while not hurting anyone else, cannot be a bad thing, IMO. For me, no, the depression does not go away when I dress. It doesn't go away when I don't dress, either. The only thing that goes away for me is the desire to dress after I dress. I think a lot of members on here understand what I mean.

It's definitely a struggle. I have family with bipolar issues (nothing to do with dressing) and it can be rough. Not knowing your personal situation, it's tough to offer some dime store psychiatry, but if dressing eases the depression, look for ways to incorporate that in your life, even simply undredressing. I found a simple thing like painting my toenails, which I can hide from everyone and keep private, makes me happy. We all search for answers and the girls here will help. Keep the dialog going.

I always feel better when I am "dressed" I love being totally feminine, from the top of my head to the tip of my toes.

Sorry, I don't but I really feel for those who do suffer from depression. I know I'm stating the obvious but if dressing got me out of depression, I would do it as much as possible. But you are probably better off listening to a professional.

Banned Read only
    I don't suffer from depression, but, I found dressing offers relief from stress. I can only make the assumption too much unabated stress may lead to depression. Being en femme does relieve PTSD: the effects of military service. Somehow wearing a pretty dress, heels, hosiery and all the undergarments brings out what I can only surmise is the feminine side within me.

Hi Y'All...Do I suffer from depression?...or is there an underlying connection between cross-dressing and 'depression'?

During the past while, I have noticed that during this Transitioning...development of Mia's persona...I have felt in control of my Life...I am exercising my Will, against society, nature and all the gender taboos...and I have been crossing many lines in the sand.

I am NOW in control of my environment and free (relaxed) to explore my personal boundaries/ideology...this doesn't just apply to cross-dressing. IMHO; the elements of control and freedom are enough to remove any negative thoughts (other than non-emotional 'critical thought'). Emotionally, I'm at peace.

Mia
    WE are ALL children of The Universe...and YOU ALL have a right to be HERE
    Quotes, please see: Martin Luther King, Einstein, Aristotle, Plato, Deepak Chopra, Dalia Lama, Epicurus, chogyam Trungpa, tao te ching, The tao...to name a few.
    Paul Simon - "Under African Skies" & "I Know What I Know"
    Mia's 'One Rule' Rule: "My Life...My RULES!"
    NW-10

Yes, I have dealt with depression, but it's not closely linked to my dressing. (It's thought to be caused by insufficient levels of certain neurochemicals in your brain!) I think those of us who have some type of atypical neurology (me, I also have life-long ADHD) are more likely take an interest in crossdressing. It also seems like we tend to be highly introspective.

I never dressed to cope with my depression, but it does provide an escape from reality every now and then. I just have to be careful not to let thinking about it get in the way of my daily life. If it helps you, though, I would take advantage of every opportunity, at least to the extent that you want to.

At one time I delt with depression about not being able to get dressed when I wanted to and always hiding. But not any more I kicked the doors off of the closet and I now I draw straws to see if I dress as a girl, long straw- girl, short straw boy lets girl have her way. Rita

Banned Read only
    Lisa,
    At the moment I've hit a wall and can't work round it ! I really don't want to go back on medication ! Being open to dress as I like and being accepted would help a lot but not being able to talk about the situation with my wife is brought me to a standstill most of the time !
    I underdress as much as I can which does help but the cloak and dagger stuff has gone on long enough !

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    Hi Lisa, Have you considered the possibility that your depression may be linked to deep pain caused from the (presumably) long term repression of a big part of yourself?

If you look at dressing up and being Lisa as allowing that submerged, repressed part of you to 'be', to come out into the light, wouldn't that make sense?

You certainly wouldn't be the only one here whose life has been made more complete, more whole, by allowing long-repressed instincts to flourish- I count myself among them.

It's important to know and to believe that there is absolutely nothing wrong with having feminine feelings, any more than it's wrong to want to become a professional boxer, or a model. Society worships boxers and models- for what, bashing people about the head, or being thin for a living? It's a weird world.

Welcome!

xNikki

Lisa - you're not alone in this...

Depression is a very prevalent and often still misdiagnosed disease of modern society - I certainly feel better in some ways when I dress, and to some extent I think this is the concentrated effort of preparation that is required that absorbs me, and then a certain degree of escapism when dressed. Sometimes it's tough to make the time to bring it all together and that can be depressing in itself.

If you really do (or think you do) suffer from depression, you should talk to a professional about it... your GP/doc or a counsellor... talking helps, and you may find there are other issues that would be helpful to be addressed (rather than dressed... )

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Yup, I suffer from depression quite badly strangely enough...!
    It's something I've had as long as I can remember and I've sat in many a chair trying to talk it out.
    But the truth is it stems not from my actions but from others that don't think before they act or open their mouths.
    Naturally we can all get a quick fix by doing the things that make us happy, but sadly there is always going to be that one person that will want to take that happiness away from you and indeed that happiness you try to share with others.

KD

Yes I have been on meds before they don't work and talked with professionals. I live alone now so I can dress whenever I want. I have been married twice and divorced.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Lisa,

Depression (unless it is neurochemical) tends to have an underlying issue attached to it. A year ago my repression of being who I needed to be got so bad I entered a very dark place (very, very depressed). Once I accepted me as me and that included Isha and was free to explore her, my depression (in concert with my wonderful therapist) has dissipated. It is plausible that dressing is part of you (as it seems to be for all of us) and the depressive periods are triggered by an innate need to express that side of you and when you can't you get depressed. But that is just me making a whole load of assumptions based on my own experience so I may just be throwing rocks at the moon. You indicate you have talked to professionals. Have you tried a counsellor who deals with gender identity issues?

Regardless though, depression in any form is serious business and you really do need to understand where it is coming from.

Hugs

Isha

Isha

I suffered from depression for years. It was after the death of my Mother that I learned for the first time why. My mother suffered from depression as well. She had a reason but didn't tell anyone. My real grandfather died at a young age and left my Grandmother with three young girls. During WW2 she worked in a factory that made rubber boats. That is where she met my step-Grandfather. They were married and settled down in Queens NY. The had two other daughters as well. However, my step grandfather was a pedophile and constantly molested everyone in the family. Once my mother came of age she left home and married my father.

I am convinced that many of the sexual "hangups" I have suffered from was the result of this trauma that happened 50 years ago.

Most people are depressed because they have a reason to be.

However, it doesn't have to be that way.

Everybody has choices. Choose to be happy, not because but IN SPITE of your circumstances.

Texas is not a state as much as a "state of mind." So is happiness.

Lisa, I know what your saying, I fought depression for years trying to deny my need to dress. But every time I would give in and dress, the depression went away.
    I no longer have that problem, as I can and do dress when ever the mood hits me now days.
    Denial of our basic needs, emotional or otherwise, can cause depression, repressed anger, and even resentment towards anything that stands in your way.
    A body needs what a body needs, don't fight it, don't deny it, and don't repress it, and hopefully the depression will go away.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

I'd like to take the opportunity to clarify between what I was talking about in my previous post - major depressive disorder, the neurological disorder, of which I've had a couple of recurring episodes - and depression, the low mood which everyone gets from time to time, but which can become seriously bad for some people. Even if yours is the latter type, caused by some kind of psychological issues, it can be a problem. Even though it has not been my experience, I do think there can be a link with crossdressing, especially if dressing gives you relief.

In any case, whether it's the psychological or neurochemical type, if the depression is bad enough to be a problem, you should seek treatment.
    Last edited by Melanie Z; 12-07-2014 at 08:36 AM.

I have to say that it has been helpful in reducing stress and redirecting my feelings away from some serious emotional lows. I had severe stress due to a hostile work environment, but due to pure economics and age had to stay where I was; my SO had been diagnosed with Alzheimers and required care that I had to provide. I tried anti-depressants and found them useless, even though I took them for the recommended amount of time. They were also making me less alert and I needed to keep all my wits about me as things were getting more hostile at work. Years before I had experienced a betrayal by a psychiatrist and absolutely refused to see another witch doctor; bad for my health. Eventually I had to retire; my SO was getting worse and needed 24/7 care. Dressing was all I had to alleviate the stress I was under and she accepted it (even told me I reminded her of her mother) without any complaint. Her loss and my own guilt feelings for not being able to save her totally destroyed my life; you see after 40 years together we were each others' life. I've had to invent a new one and dressing is a major part of it; without it I likely woudn't be writing this.
    Last edited by donnalee; 12-07-2014 at 08:54 AM.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

I have suffered from depression that was triggered by post traumatic stress from being a firefighter. It lasted a few years and while no 2 people are the same, I think what brought me out of the darkness was understanding I had it, and somehow gathering the confidence to no longer care about meaningless things. I no longer fret about things as very little is truly important out there when all is said and done. Not much stuff to worry about except your health and the ones you love. I sympathize with those with depression because it hurts and cannot just be shut off. Takes time and there seems to be no solver bullet.

Thank you all for your thoughts. This is a great place I am glad I found it.

Negative emotions such as depression are brought on by negative thoughts generally speaking. Look into 'cognitive behavioral therapy' books like Getting Your Live Back, Dr. Jesse Wright. I would guess that CDing is just taking your mind off of some recurring negative imagination.

Clinical depression is another story and more severe.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    I don't suffer from depression, but, I found dressing offers relief from stress.

At first... dressing was a part of self-sex... now I enjoy the sense of calm..

Dressing is fine, but do find other activities to help your depressive state.

Do not withdraw into yourself at any time.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.