Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally told my mom

Finally told my mom

Almost 1 year ago, I asked the GG's in the loved ones section about what they thought if one of their children was a crossdresser, and whether they would want to know this or not. I asked because I am crossdresser, and I felt a need to tell my mother about me and my dressing, and this other part of my self and personality, and why I feel this has had a huge impact on my life and particularly why the shame and confusion about these feelings I had around crossdressing and femininity, contributed to me having emotional/social difficulty growing up and interacting with friends and my family. I think she felt she struggled to connect with me when I was younger, and since this was a big reason why, she felt like the right person to come out to.

I wanted to get some perspective from people who were not crossdressers, about whether this is something they would even want to know about someone who was not their significant other. I know that there is no way to predict how someone will act, but I really wanted to get their perspective on things. You can read that thread for the details, here (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...ase&highlight=) but the overwhelming response of GG's there was that I should tell her. Well, it took a year to gather the courage, but I finally decided to come out to my mom about me being a crossdresser and having this, for lack of a better word, feminine side to my personality that I don't normally show.

A few days ago, I called and asked her to come over to my place because there was something I wanted to tell her, without my dad being around. I tried to ask in a way that was casual and not a big deal, but she clearly suspected something was up. She came over a few day later and after some small talk I just came out and told her. I previously practiced and planned what I was going to say, which was a good idea , because I was so nervous. I told her about myself and explained as best I could what this was, and why i think the shame and fear of being discovered when I was younger largely explains why I was always so secretive and private growing up. I explained what being a crossdresser meant and how this fits into my life, both struggling with these feelings growing up, and coming to peace with them over the past few years. I explained how I am not going to be making any sort of big change in my life, and am not expecting her to react in a certain way, but its something I felt she needed to hear and understand

I never expected my mom to disown me or be angry, I would not have told her if I thought these things, but I was still relieved that her reaction was so positive. She told me she had no idea I was like this, but she was happy she now has a better understanding of why I was so secretive and private growing up. She told me she always thought that I was struggling with something emotionally when I was younger, and she is glad she now knows what that was. She had the normal questions; are you gay? do you want to have a sex change? who else knows? but was entirely calm and supportive through the whole process. We probably had a longer one on one conversation about crossdressing then we have had about anything in years. She was curious about what type of clothes I usually wear and how I obtained them when I was younger. She was also very curious and had a lot of questions about the transformation place I go to frequently and even about this and other online forums I visit. She told me how happy she was that I have some sort of support network and connection to other people who are like me. She also talked about how common it is now days for her to see guys working in Victorias Secret, selling makeup at Macy's/Nordstroms, and working in woman's clothing stores, which I think was her way of telling me it is not as big a deal as it used to be for men to be interested in makeup/woman's clothes. I honestly could not have expected the conversation and her reaction to have gone better. She even told me she thought it would be a good idea to tell my dad and sister, particularly my sister who my mom thinks would be another good person I can talk about my life/feelings around this issue with, I am in no hurry though to tell other people at the moment, and my mom promised to keep this between us as long as I want.

She ended by telling me how happy she was that I found peace with my crossdressing and that it's something that I get happiness and calmness from, and she will probably have more questions for me in the future, and I told her that she can ask me anything she wants and I will not be offended. We hugged at the end and she told me she loved me.

I am not writing this to encourage others to come out to family members, I know every situation is different and each person has to do whats right for them, which may be to tell or may be to keep this a secret. But I would like to extend my gratitude and sincere thanks to the GG's who encouraged me and gave me some advice about how to go about this whole thing.
    Last edited by Sarah09; 12-07-2014 at 04:59 PM.
    Sarah

Sarah, wonderful post and I'm so pleased your mother has been so understanding, I am in a very similar place to you, only my mother knows of my cross dressing. I felt the same way as your I had to tell her, it wasn't fair on her or me and I just felt like I would explode if I didn't tell. Mother's can be so understanding, now 5 months on I feel like you, that my dressing has made me more confident and at peace with myself and me and my mother are closer than ever now.

Please feel free to message me if I can help in anyway.

Hugs

Michelle

Congratulations, Sarah! Your mother sounds great! I know what you mean about being secretive and the reaction to opening up about this and all of that. When we have this kind of thing locked away in a closet it creates a barrier between us and those we love. I'm glad you were able to open that door and become more open with your mother. I hope you can soon extend that to your sister and father (since your mother seems to be encouraging in that regard).
    There are several people in my family I am out to and a few I'm not. Some more openly so and others it's just not something we talk about even though they know. It's very dependent on the individuals involved. Choose your time and people as you see fit.
    Best wishes!

So glad it went well for you with your mom. It's makes you feel so good.
    I know enough to know I don't know enough.

Peace

Sarah, I'm glad that that talk went so well and you have yet another person to add to your support network. I imagine you were nervous. It's was easy to come out to my SO but the thought of my mom knowing even though I know she'd be 110% supportive that's just a part of my life I'm not ready for her to see yet. But that's just me. Lol Congratulations.

Sarah,
    You have achieved something others long to do.
    You may encourage them yet.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Thank you so much for sharing. It's wonderful to hear a positive story such as this. I've often have debated this about my own parents although I'm nowhere near deciding whether to share or not, I'm thankful you were willing to share your positive story.

Hi Sarah. What a wonderful anecdote. So happy it went well for you. To have some family support is a great thing. You were courageous to take this step and I am so happy for you.

Be well,

Erin
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

The best of both Worlds! Paula_Femme's Avatar
    Congratulations Sarah, what a wonderful outcome after you struggled with this for so long, you must be elated!!!
    Black is ALWAYS the, "New Black!"
    "I really hate it when people accuse me of wearing Womens clothes... these aren't Womens clothes... I f*****g bought them!!!" Eddie Izzard.

Mothers are great, and sounds like you have a very open minded mom. It must have been a load off your chest to finally tell her.

Awesome! It's so great. You must feel so relived.

Glad it went great for you. You're correct in each person and situation is different.
    Thanks for sharing and to those here who were helpful.
    Hugs

Hi Sarah, As you say "I am not ready to tell other people at the moment". You have just told half the the world anyway!!!.
    You have a Mother to treasure. How your dad may take it is open to question, however, your sister may be ok with it.
    What I suggest to you Sarah is, when you speak with your mother ask her if she would like to come over for a coffee morning or afternoon tea.
    You could also drop into the conversation...would you like me to be dressed when you visit again?. That is if she is ready to see you like that so soon after your telling her.
    If she says yes then you are half way there. But you must remember that this is your mother and you do not want to look like a "tart or a hooker". Sensible clothes at all times as you are giving mum a picture of her "new daughter".
    Good luck to you Sarah and I hope that things go well for you.

Julie.

i have to respond to this! i came out to my mom, as luck should have it, a year before she passed away. I was Nervous, and scared. BUt i didnt even get the words out, when she said "I know." and then i told her how i was going to a support group and she thought that was awesome. But that i should be careful.

isn;t it ironic.... i don't know about any of you, but i struggled with my desires, desperate to keep it a secret out of fear of being weird" or "strange." And then when i came out to mom- and before that my sister, i was welcomed with open arms. In fact every situation i was caught as a kid, i can recall vividly yet people like my sister didn't think anything. (ecept that it was a phase).

Melissa (hugs)

Congratulations Sarah! That Is a huge step and I'm sure it feels like a great weight has been lifted.

Thanks for all of the responses. This just happened recently so I don't plan on taking any other big steps at this time, and I will just see how things go from here. It definitely feels like a huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulder though
    Sarah

How absolutely wonderful that it went that well for you! One can only hope that some day you can have equal success with your father. Sadly, I could never talk to my own parents about these things, and especially not my dad. Mom might have understood, but there was no way I would have risked my father finding out, ever. Now, both are gone, so I will never have any closure with them about my girl side. I'm happy for you that you got to do that with your mom.

I'm so pleased for you. Your mother sounds like an extremely loving and supportive person.

Sarah,

Congratulations for fully accepting yourself to be able to open up to your mother about such a personal topic. Every situation is different and I agree that as subtle roles in gender classification change, it allows those to see more than what they have been allowed to believe was okay just a few years ago. I wish you and your family the best during this transition as they welcome a new aspect of yourself into their lives.

I have had this feeling about my mother as well, yet have refrained from sharing it with her. Let's just say my mom always wanted a girl, and as I would consider myself just a guy who feels good in dresses, it just seems like a lot of pressure for this introvert. But, I do appreciate hearing how well it can go for others, in case I finally come to that road to let my family know all of who I really am.
    Oh, the things we could do, if we only knew, the things we knew we could do.

What an excellent post!

Made me feel good reading it.

Wow ... how fortunate for you that your mother is such a loving and understanding person, and how fortunate for you both that you were able to reach an understanding about this. I can relate completely to the secretiveness and privacy that you said were part of your growing up. Your mother felt it too, and you gave her the gift of understanding. My mother went to her grave not knowing my secret, yet, I have no doubt, knowing that there was some kind of a barrier between us. She probably blamed herself for whatever that mysterious thing was, and it is one of the regrets of my life that she had to bear that sadness. Would she have been as accepting and understanding as your mother was? I doubt it. But sometimes I feel like a coward for not taking the risk and giving her the opportunity; the result, even if not as happy as yours, would probably not have been any worse than the uncomfortable, small-talk-only relationship that she and I had.

Good on you Sarah. I never told my mom and now its too late. I always wonder what it would have ben like

Good for you, Sarah! So heart warming to have your Mom accept the news in a calm and supportive manner.

Thank you so much for sharing this!
    Ms. Tina Zee - Your favorite gender nonconforming ukulelist and vocalist. Well, one of your favorites, I hope.

See me sing right here! https://www.youtube.com/user/MsTinaZee

Gone to live my life
    Hi Sarah,

What a great story and what a great Mom! Thanks for sharing and I am so happy for you.

Hugs

Isha