Thread: a short disclosure experience

a short disclosure experience

So I'm getting my first colon screening next week..as we go through the questions we get to surgical history...

The nurse was just shooting questions at me...drugs? meds? smoker? diabetes?

We get to

What is your surgical history?
    I say yes...
    tonsillectomy as a kid
    Facial reconstruction
    I'm transsexual and had Genital Reassignment Surgery in 2009

and she says

Ok thanks
    Heart issues?
    Lung Issues?...

hehe... I expected at least a pause!!!!

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Not sure why, you are, after all, a woman
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Silver Member
    I get so tensed up when it comes to disclosure even with the doctors office, I have a hard time being upfront about it. Recently I had to have a physical and while my doctor knows my full history it was a new nurse and she went through all the questions and I did not want to reveal- are we doing a pap smear? not today I say. Then she starts asking about my periods and I mumbled something about not having them which only made her ask more questions until I finally just said I was transsexual. She was really quiet after that.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rianna Humble View Post
    Not sure why, you are, after all, a woman
    This doesn't even make sense to me. What, like all women have had major reconstructive surgery or something?

Here's a few reasons why:

. The juxtaposition of a relatively trivial procedure (tonsils) with two major reconstructions
    . The rarity of SRS and FFS
    . Simple surprise
    . There were no follow-on questions related to the trans-related procedures
    . And last but not least, Kaitlyn's expectant expression, coupled with her stance – sideways to the nurse, right foot forward left hand on hip, right hand extended palm up ...

Theresa, The last time I was in a position to disclose (also happened to be before a colonoscopy), I was being grilled about my hormones and still didn't disclose why I was taking them. It made me uncomfortable. I probably would disclose now, though. I still feel some discomfort, but on the other hand, my wife tells me I blab to just about anyone these days (my words).
    Lea

Yea the surgeries questions are no issues for me anymore. Immediately afterwards it was awkward to discuss this topic but I got past that quickly.

Just call Me: "W - O - M - A - N"

As King said: "I'm free at last, I'm free at last.
    Thank God Almighty I'm free at last!"

I guess being full time for a while makes us a bit sensitive to any disclosure.....still for a doctor I do.
    Last edited by Angela Campbell; 12-11-2014 at 02:40 PM.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Gold Member
    I guess the need to not say it is something that you evolve into? It might be because of the name changes, but if someone needs to know, I just say it. If they don't, then I don't. Its getting to be less and less, but there still will be instances where something doesn't need interaction for a year or two and then it pops up. So maybe not needing to say it over and over will get me to where I am hesitant too?

Silver Member
    I think it is different from person to person. Maybe you will become more sensitive to it or maybe not. I am sure I get overly stressed about it.

with people I am connected to who already know I am trans I can be more open about it, but with people who don't already know I am very closed and don't want to disclose.

That's been my experience as well. That kind of information does not faze them at all.

My post was about two things...

One is that I paused...I normally don't. And of course as usual the person just did their business around it...it struck me that I paused..just that stupid little shame boogeyman

THe second was just to point out to people wondering about it that if you transition, your life will always have these moments, and in reality they are almost always not a big deal...If you fear this moment and its holding you back, forget it. It's really really not an issue...its just an awkward moment at worst.

I will never forget when the appraiser came to my house before I got the name on the title changed..he needed the homeowner to sign and I insisted I could sign but he said he didn't want to be fired and when could "he" be here to sign?

...I finally told him that I was "him" and was transsexual... he blubbered (literally) something about Chaz Bono, then he said..."do you date?"..... He couldn't believe his luck!!!! A tranny!!! LOL...that one time was the weirdest thing that's ever happened in a couple dozen times I had to tell somebody

Funny how a guy's ears will perk up if he finds out...lol
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?