Thread: Little things mean a lot

Little things mean a lot

I am sure most of you have heard the expression "little things mean a lot". The "little things" to which I am referring here are my finger nails. My finger nails do not represent very much of my total body yet, to me they mean a lot especially, for the feminine image I want to to portray.

Let me explain. While growing up on a farm, playing sports, maintaining a house, a cabin and two yards, etc. I used my nails as tools for scraping, picking up things, opening things etc. My mother taught me to keep my nails clean and I ever chewed them so they usually looked OK.

In my 50's my nails started to break, split, look bad, etc. I tried using nail glue, strengtheners, oils. Nothing really helped. I went to a dermatologist and he
    told me that the moisture layers in my nails had dried out and there was really nothing that I could do to make my nails look better and be stronger. This was quite disappointing.

About this time I met a young woman who was helping her boyfriend learn more about being a cross dresser. She was a nail tech and suggested that I try wearing gel nails. I went to her salon a couple of times to get gel nails applied and was very happy with the results. Unfortunately, her salon was not near me. I looked around and decided to try a salon that was nearer to my home. I contacted the owner and explained that I was a CD. She said that was not a problem so I began wearing gel nails full-time. This was about 15 years ago.

I love seeing my fingers doing things while wearing a pretty pink or red polish. For me, this completes my feminine image. I plan my male time in such a way as to be able to keep my nails looking pretty as long as possible. The thing I dislike most about having to revert to male mode is having to remove my
    pretty polish even though I always wear a neutral colored polish when presenting as a man.

So, for me, little things mean a lot!
    Hugs, Carole

I totally understand, Carole.

About 15~20 years ago my nails started cracking, not up and down but across, and it really hurt. I used to go and sit with my friend while she had her nails done and one day I asked the manicurist if there was anything she could do for me. "Not unless I apply acrylics," she saidl

So I began wearing acrylic nails and here I am, years later, with long acrylic nails.

Back when I was doing guy image I'd sometimes get asked, "Are those really your nails?"

Usually I'd say, "Yes!"

After all, they were mine, I paid for them. Sometimes I'd say, "No, they really are my friends nails, I just borrowed them for the day."

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

It is the little thing, nails do mean a lot to me, but being able to wear enhancer every day, is my Littte thing that means a lot.

My nails are so long now it's ridiculous, I need to cut them.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

girly girl
    Having to take my polish off is the main reason I don't wear it more often. My nails are almost always long, but I rarely apply polish because I can never keep it on more than a day or two. Gel nails would be even more of a commitment so I can relate.

Platinum Member
    i agree that nice nails can enhance ones overall feminine presentation. Even with my overly large hands, it seems to help.

I don't know the specific cause, but I have heard that cracking, splitting and deformed nails can be indicative of dietary and/or hormonal issues. I'm fortunate that my nails are in pretty good shape, but since I have to present as male part time, I rely on custom artificial nails. Not as pretty as the gel nails IMHO but pretty good.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I know exactly what you mean, I try to keep mine as long as I can but because I work with my hands and wear gloves all the time at work I still break or tear a nail or two. I keep my cuticles pushed back and trimmed, treated with vitamin E, and polished with clear and top coat clear shine at all times even in my male mode. I really must get a professional manicure and maybe a pedicure.

Gold Member
    I had the same problem; So I asked my Doctor, he said I might be low on Calcium and
    Potassium. He gave me a scrip, and I took some pills for about two weeks.
    My nails are like they use to be, adjusted my diet to include more Potassium and
    Calcium and now I do not need the pills.
    You might want to check with your Doctor.
    Rader