Thread: Chicago...Howard Brown

Chicago...Howard Brown

Any experience with the hormone program there?

No experience but I know they have an informed consent program. When I talked to them, they said do a physical and lab tests there, if all is okay, get the scripts in about two weeks. The girls running the support group were very nice and the T-time group was interesting.

PM me for more info. Are you in Chicago?

Hugs,
    Traci Melissa Knight

To thine own self be true
    When the student is ready, the teacher will appear

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    Yes.

I drive 130 miles to Chicago to see my Dr. Alfred Torrence at the North Halstead, clinic. He is fabulous, and so understands the transgender situation.

Their policy is Transgender Hormone informed Consent, ThinC. They diagnose as "Undetermined hormone deficiency," which helps with insurance. Their policy does not require any signatures, except for yours. You read their literature about the feminising hormones, and you are interviesed by their in house therapist, just to make sure you understand what you are getting into, and do not have any obvious mental health issues that would make your consent questionable. I had all my interviews, and initial visit with the Dr all done in one day, and received my prescriptions and hormones that day. They have an in house Walgreens pharmacy at the Halstead St location which fills the scrip.

They have a very friendly program for those without insurance. I have a friend in town who gets her hormones at no cost. They diagnose and treat being transgender as a medical condition, not mental.

I cannot recommend the HBHC organization highly enough. They make sure that they have your preferred name right up at the top of your information, and always do their best to use it, and are very apologetic when they make a mistake.

Good luck.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Many thanks....I am still in stealth so interested in low dose beginning. Have great therapist but would like a peek at a group of other girls.

First visit like a dream....so wonderful, empathic.....Barbara Ella right on. More to experience I trust.

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    So glad your visit went well. Yes, they do an excellent job of caring.

Good luck.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Barb, excellent clinic. You make me wish I'd started in "The Windy City." The greater Chicago TG population is fortunate to have that resoursce. I hope it continues to provide everything you need. I am happy for you!
    Marie

Chicagoland has a tremendous amount of Trans people. When I lived there for 14 months,this clinic was just getting started.I have never heard a bad thing about it..Every big city should have a positive place like Howard Brown.