Thread: Looking for Help..

Looking for Help..

Hello

I'm normally on the CD side of the site, but a couple of people have given me some advise and I think this might be the place to ask. Does anyone know of a good Gender Therapist in the Baltimore/Washington area. I live closer to Baltimore, so that would be better for me. Yet if they are good enough I'll go the distance. I've looked around and there are a lot that say they work with Transgender issues but I have no idea if they really know what they are doing. I don't think I can afford to be someone's guinea pig. Help.

Joan
    Last edited by Sandra; 12-18-2014 at 01:19 PM. Reason: TS section is gender netural, please remember that when addressing the members here.

Silver Member
    Two suggestions, if someone doesn't come up with someone good here:

Find the local trans support groups and ask them.

Start calling and interviewing. (Good questions include asking about WPATH membership, gender-specific training and experience, # of gender clients, # transitioned, familiarity with gender research and literature, etc.)
    Lea

If you don't find anyone locally, and you are willing to travel to Richmond, VA, I have a name for you.
    When the answers escape us when we start to fade
    Remember who loved you and the ones who have stayed
    Cause my body will fail, but my soul will go on
    So don't you get lonely I'm right where you are

Joan, have you looked into Chase Brexton? That is where I started therapy and where I see my GP for HRT. In fact, there is even a transwoman there who is a therapist. Also, if you're interested in going to a support group, I will be at the meeting of Trans-lifemd at the Waxter center next Saturday the 27th. You can Pm me if you have any other questions.

If you Google up GLBT healthcare providers you will find a few organizations that have listings by state for all sorts of medical providers, many of whom are Gender Therapists. Also, not being funny, but if you Google up "Kink Aware Medical Providers" there is actually a whole organization dedicated to serious professional medical providers who are Kink aware, and they have in their listings a number of Professional Counselors, MSW Counselors, and Psychologists, who primarily devote their practice to the GLBT community. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Sarah V; 12-30-2014 at 10:11 AM.

Sarah[SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

"Sport is for men.......But Ballet is for women" ---- George Balenchine

Hi if you PM me i will give you a name of a lady in Baltimore

Update to my previous post. The support group meeting for the 27th was canceled. The next one will be on January 10th.