Thread: My bra and the doctor's office

My bra and the doctor's office

We've had several posts from those of you who are medical professionals to the effect that doctors and nurses have seen it all, including underdressing patients. I wanted to reinforce that with this post. I had my semi-annual physical yesterday, in drab (it makes exams easier that way) but wearing a bra. This time they had scheduled an EKG, chest X-ray and echo cardiogram for me. OK, so this time I'll be taking my shirt off ...

All of the tech's / nurses were female. First the nurse with the EKG. "You'll have to take your shirt off." OK ... "Umm, do I have to remove my bra?" She doesn't miss a beat (my doctor knows about my TG). "No, you can leave it on." She did put an electrode under my bra. No problem. Next the X-ray. "OK, take your shirt off." "Umm, do I take my bra off?" "You're kidding, right?" "No, seriously". She sees the evidence and says, "Yes, you should always take it off for a chest X-ray. The hooks and underwires show up just where we want to see something else." Live and learn. Finally the echo cardiogram. Again the tech takes it in stride and informs me that yes, the bra should come off. When I'm done she says "Now you can dress, I'll close the door for privacy." How thoughtful.

So the take home for me. None of the nurses or tech's seemed to mind that I wore a bra, in fact if anything perhaps they warmed up to me a bit more (but I didn't do a controlled experiment!). The cardio tech called me "Dear" several times, which I found quite nice. I've learned some things about bras that GG's learn from the start, and maybe some of you may find this useful.

Not that we are becoming mainstream, but it is so nice just to be me and be accepted as such. and, yes, they have seen it all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Thanks for sharing this

I'm thinking medical professionals see more CDs than anyone else in this way. Even though they don't say anything doesn't mean they approve. Some do, some don't. They also see other things out the norm of course.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Thanks for sharing your experience. I like your closing; while we are not mainstream, it does seem like most people are less shocked and more curious.

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    That's a lot of wear and tear on a bra.��
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

Did you ever think they may not like a lot of things about people? You know where they shop, the car they drive, the color of their house...

Silly to think they really care about how you dress or what you wear or you favorite pizza. They have a job. My nephew did tattoos and I said something one day about something I don't even remember. His response was "It's a canvas, nothing more" In the medical field you are a patient
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

I'm so happy things went well Claire. I too wear my bra to my doctor's office. She knows that I'm TG and is comfortable with it.
    Hugs
    Beth

I have it in writing.

About a week ago I was in my doctor's office for a routine quarterly followup. Since it was the first visit of the year I was asked to update my information. The packet of papers included a statement of patients' rights, which said in part that their patients will be treated with respect and dignity regardless of their gender orientation.

Best wishes
    MsVal

Nice to hear the medical professsion being so, well professional. They've probably seen it all before especially if they've worked in A&E! Not sure all our public services are as caring and understanding, though I get the impression that the world is slowly changing for the better?

Quote Originally Posted by Ressie View Post
    I'm thinking medical professionals see more CDs than anyone else in this way. Even though they don't say anything doesn't mean they approve. Some do, some don't. They also see other things out the norm of course.
    When I went to get an MRI, I knew I would have to strip down, so I didn't wear any girly stuff at all.

What surprised me is that the intake form said Sex [M | F | T]. Or maybe it said gender, I'm not sure.

So I filled it out with my usual M, but when I turned it in, I asked the intake girl if "T" really meant what I thought it did. Well, she was very negative about it, maybe 'cause some guy teed off on her about the "T". I went back for a second MRI a few weeks later, and had a different intake girl. She was also very negative. I would have thought that the intake girls would have been better trained to at least appear to be neutral about it.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Silver Member
    Professionals all have preferences about most things. Same about CDs or any other group. Good ones don't let their preferences intercede in their work.

Maybe they realized you call them intake "girls". I am not being snarky - I am just making a point that often our prejudices show even when we are totally unaware that we even have any. It may be the same with those intake people.
    "We don't see things as they are; we see things as we are." Anais Nin

Claire, glad it went good at the Doc. Would you not wear a bra anymore to the visit, or just one that is easy to take off?
    Hopefully more acceptance by other professions will continue.
    Hugs

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer-GWN View Post
    That's a lot of wear and tear on a bra.��

Well, it was a minimalist bra with only one hook, but now I have a better idea of what women face in their daily routines. On the bright side, maybe more wear and tear means I'll have to replace it sometime!

Quote Originally Posted by MsVal View Post
    I have it in writing.

About a week ago I was in my doctor's office for a routine quarterly followup. Since it was the first visit of the year I was asked to update my information. The packet of papers included a statement of patients' rights, which said in part that their patients will be treated with respect and dignity regardless of their gender orientation.

Best wishes
    MsVal
    Val, It's great that Michigan, or at least your doctor's office, has that form. I wish Florida did (I'm starting another post on a more negative reaction.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sometimes Steffi View Post
    When I went to get an MRI, I knew I would have to strip down, so I didn't wear any girly stuff at all. What surprised me is that the intake form said Sex [M | F | T]. Or maybe it said gender, I'm not sure. So I filled it out with my usual M, but when I turned it in, I asked the intake girl if "T" really meant what I thought it did. Well, she was very negative about it, maybe 'cause some guy teed off on her about the "T". I went back for a second MRI a few weeks later, and had a different intake girl. She was also very negative. I would have thought that the intake girls would have been better trained to at least appear to be neutral about it.
    Steffi, I'm sorry to hear this. But at least the form included a box for "T". (Is this required in DC?) You would think that if there is the option for "T", the staff would be aware of it.

Quote Originally Posted by charlenesomeone View Post
    Claire, glad it went good at the Doc. Would you not wear a bra anymore to the visit, or just one that is easy to take off?
    Hopefully more acceptance by other professions will continue.
    Hugs
    Charlene, if anything the experience would just encourage me to wear a bra the next time! As in my reply to Jennifer, taking the bra off and putting back on was not a problem. Of course I liked putting it back on .

Platinum Member
    Hi Claire, I didn't wear my bra to the DR's office but I still had the Bra lines around me when I got there.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

First, any nurse or tech taking an EKG on someone wearing a bra is an idiot, and I wouldn't want them doing mine. Getting the chest electrodes and leads in the right place is going to be extremely difficult if not impossible, and the fact that you state that they only put ONE under your bra while doing so confirms it. Second, what they say in front of you, and once you're gone, are two entirely different things. Just like anywhere else, some don't care, and others find crossdressers peculiar and odd, and poke fun at us.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Silver Member
    Glad your reception was positive. I went for a physical a few months back drab wearing my daily nylon panties to my female doc and I didn't really care if she noticed but based on what she did the year before I figured maybe she would maybe not but I knew there would be no reaction. As usual I had to drop trow for the hernia check but then after having me pull my panties back up she had me lay down again for a testicular exam. Little doubt she new my brand.
    I figure that maybe they chatted later about my fashion sense maybe not. But as long as you are respectful to me I don't care.

This week i have a skin cancer check with a new doc and I'll be wearing my daily panties.

Dorothy makes a very good point, lots of the time we don't think about the fact that our stereotypes are an expression of our thoughtlessness. Political correctness is bring thoughtful of others whether we approve of their action, presentation, ethnicity, etc. I think that most of us here want to be treated with respect, whether the other person approves of our action/presentation.

We should always try to be as respectful of others.

Hugs, Bria

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Cook View Post
    Steffi, I'm sorry to hear this. But at least the form included a box for "T". (Is this required in DC?) You would think that if there is the option for "T", the staff would be aware of it.
    It's not required in DC because it's the only place I've been that has three choices. I guess it's important with an MRI that might show a prostate on an otherwise female-bodied patient.

The staff at the front desk were aware of the form. They just didn't seem happy about it. Maybe because it was 7 AM on a Saturday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by DorothyElizabeth View Post
    Maybe they realized you call them intake "girls". I am not being snarky - I am just making a point that often our prejudices show even when we are totally unaware that we even have any. It may be the same with those intake people.
    I didn't call them intake girls. I just made up the word for the post to distinguish them from a nurse or MRI tech.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by sometimes_miss View Post
    First, any nurse or tech taking an EKG on someone wearing a bra is an idiot, and I wouldn't want them doing mine. Getting the chest electrodes and leads in the right place is going to be extremely difficult if not impossible, and the fact that you state that they only put ONE under your bra while doing so confirms it. Second, what they say in front of you, and once you're gone, are two entirely different things. Just like anywhere else, some don't care, and others find crossdressers peculiar and odd, and poke fun at us.
    Hi Lexi,

Actually I goofed here. She did put on two chest electrodes in place, and the loose-fitting but minimal bra I was wearing should not have been a problem. I'm sure that they talk about us behind our backs, and I for one think that's fine -- if nothing else, that increases awareness of us, and the next time I go more will know about me (as with Sara's thread below).

Quote Originally Posted by Sarasometimes View Post
    As usual I had to drop trow for the hernia check but then after having me pull my panties back up she had me lay down again for a testicular exam. Little doubt she new my brand. I figure that maybe they chatted later about my fashion sense maybe not. But as long as you are respectful to me I don't care.

This week i have a skin cancer check with a new doc and I'll be wearing my daily panties.
    Hi Sara,

I hope all goes well with your skin cancer check. I went to my dermatologist yesterday (but without a bra this time). I did have to strip down to my black nylon panties but as with your experience, no reaction from either the doc or the nurse. He also gave me a breast exam, which he does for all of his older male patients. Turns out he's done a study on the occurrence of breast cancer in men. My female supplements are included on my med list, and I told him that I'd had my first mammogram last year (mammogram story). His response: "More men should have them".