Thread: CD life in America

Banned Read only

CD life in America

Due to the fact that my wife and I finally decided to immigrate in the US or Canada. I have a lot of information from the forums immigrants, but that the topic of crossdressing I have not found anything. Could you give me answer on some issues.
    Since we will need the livelihood we must to work. I understand that our skills and knowledge of English will not allow to perform skilled work. Here the last 2 years I worked for an insurance company as car estimator. Due to the fact that many companies have gone bankrupt in Russia, we are now living expense of my online store, it is enough for a comfortable stay in Russia, but I am sure that my income will not be enough to stay in America. For example, I have one bedroom condo in a prestigious area of Krasnodar and pay utilities and maintenance about 50$ per month, tax fee no more 10$ per year. Insurans for cars Honda Accord about 1000$ per year and about 300$ for wife's Daewoo Matiz. Taxes about 150$/year for both of cars. I know that these payments are extremely low compared to the America. Therefore, in the case of moving to America, I must to look at the work or expand my business. From this comes the basic question, because my wife has the good skills for applying makeup for crossdressers, is it posible open shop for CDs + dressing, makeup and photo service? How much is claimed? What state or city would be best approached for this?

I had no problem understanding your post. It seems to me that your perceived language problem shouldn't be a barrier to employment here. In fact, your ability to speak Russian may open doors for employment (translator, teacher...). If you know the car estimating business well, I can't see why you can't do that here as well.
    Rather than your wife opening a business targeting CDers, how about working at a department store makeup service, or her own business marketing her skills to women as well as CDers. Despite some hard times for the past several years, this is still the Land of Opportunity for those willing to work for success.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I can't imagine how u got a visa to allow u to come to US and work, Natasha. But, congratulations!

Costs and income r a double edged sword here. U can make more money and find more opportunities in urban areas, (cities), but housing, etc. is more expensive there. I think the Los Angeles area would be a good place for u. Lots of opportunities and crossdressers here. (I live about 50 miles from LA). In fact, there's a large contingent of Russians and Russian block folks that came here in the 90's. After the Soviet Union disbanded! (U can Google them. They have meetings in LA). Of course, other cities may have them, too.

U will probably need to rent a room or stay in a motel until u can save up some money. And, it would be best if u had some sort of job lined up before u arrived. PM me if there's anything I can do to help.
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 01-14-2015 at 03:28 PM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Read only
    NicoleScott, maybe I do not write very bad, but spoken English is much worse. I know that having lived a certain time in an English speaking environment, I will speak better. I understand almost everything written and when sombody speak slowly, but I do not understand when people talk fast and if I watch TV in English, I understand no more than half.

docrobbysherry, the main reason for immigration - seek asylum. If I'll be used B1/B2 visa, I can not work before been granted asylum , but not the same in Canada, the Canadian government is allowed to work as long as the proceedings of the asylum, it may be taken up to 2 years.
    I know about Russian communities, sometimes they may help, there possible find Russian speaking lawer etc, but I must to have information from different sources.

I can comfortable live here, I have a higher standard of living than many Russian, I do not mean Muscovites, they are much richer, but I can travel, I buy new car every 2-3 year. But CDing is most important part of my life but there is more and more bans.
    Last edited by Natasha-cd; 01-14-2015 at 04:48 PM.

Platinum Member
    It's difficult to compare income and expenses based solely up on current exchange rates. Rents may indeed be higher I US dollars compared to your experience, but income levels may also be relatively higher and can vary dramatically from one neighborhood to another and from city to city. Same is true for.Auto insurance.

As s said by others I don't think your proficiency in English is likely to be a great hardship. You seem to write English fairly well. And if you can make a living with on line business there, I'd guess the same is true here.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I think you should consider starting to do your online business globally in English, if possible. You could ask someone more fluent in English to help out a little, if needed. What is your online business?
    T-shirt says: "Hi, I Crossdress!"

I recently obtained a visa to work in US as well. My english is not good (less good than yours) but I feel Texas is a very good place to be the girl I want to be.

Oregon and Washington are very accepting of CDs. You would be welcome here!
    - Still Choosing an "En Femme" Name

Banned Read only
    kimdl93, now is very difficult to compare income in rubles and dollars, because ruble loss every day, it's now 2 times cheaper then month ago. About my English, when I came to Bangkok I understand nobody, but after 2-3 month I talking, and drinking beer with many international neighbours, after living for 1 year in Bangkok my English became much better, and I became understand Thai. When I came to Singapore after 1 year living in Bangkok I understand everybody. Now I lost my skills, but I think that they will recover quickly, if I'll practice.

LelaK, yes, I thinking about English version. I can't send you link here, but I can send it in PM to you. I founded first online shop for Russian CDs, it working more 7 years now. I'm started from orders for friends from Russian CD forum and I supply some CD items from US for them. But now I have orders from all ex-USSR countrys, also from Russian speaking people in Europe, Israel etc.

Eleonore, I know about large Russian community in Houston, maybe it realy good place.

LovelyGeek, thank you, I'll learning about that places.
    Last edited by Natasha-cd; 01-15-2015 at 03:23 PM.

I'm sure that once you are in a community that speaks English, your spoken language will improve quickly.
    I know that being a cross dresser in Russia is difficult and several laws have been passed that restrict their freedom. I read recently that it will be illegal to drive when cross dressed.
    Living in Houston I have never come across a Russian community but I'm sure that one exists as this is a very international city. Houston is also gay and cross dresser friendly, especially if you settle in the Montrose area.

Good luck whatever your final decision.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    If cannot work in the US with the visa u can get, Natasha? Maybe u should consider Vancouver? Very open minded city. And, I know a few trans that live there openly, dressed all the time with no issues. U could get your Canadian citizenship then move to US later if u wanted to.
    Last edited by Lorileah; 01-15-2015 at 01:32 PM. Reason: political opinion.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Read only
    CONSUELO, I think Russian is everywhere in the world I written here about driving, maybe this law will be canceled: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...le-from-Russia

docrobbysherry, immigration is not easy in every country, it's very long and difficult process, but many people do it. Nobody immediately expect at citizenship only asylum and only if immigration officers approve it. Anyway I'll send docs for US and Canadian visas, because chance to get US visa is 50/50, and chance to get Canadian visa the same.
    Last edited by Natasha-cd; 01-15-2015 at 03:58 PM.

Natasha,

I am glad to hear you are making some moves to emigrate from Russia. Since I read the post about the driving situation there, I have been a bit concerned about your future as well a the future of our sisters and brothers in Russia. I know there is a lot to get through for you and I wish you the best in accomplishing your goals.

Stephanie

Nat,

You'll have an easier time in Canada and in particular Toronto. There is a good Russian population so finding work will be less of a hassle. Toronto also has a large transgender and gay community which bodes well for your business.

Banned Read only
    Stephanie, thank you for good words

InventYourself, I read so much about Toronto, as I know Russian there no very friendly, but it realy LGBT friendly city

Toronto is indeed a lovely city, but it is starting to suffer somewhat from the problems of big cities such as congestion and exorbitant housing. Smaller centres like Ottawa or Edmonton may be a viable choice if you are thinking about Canada.

I don't think either city has a large Russian population, but Ottawa (where I live) has one of Canada's oldest, largest and most vibrant transgender support and social groups. It's also only 450km from Toronto and 200km from Montreal, so you can get your big-city fix reasonably easily.

As in Canada, I think most of the LGBT-friendly large cities in the US are very expensive so you may be forced to look at smaller centres. If I had millions of dollars, I could see myself living in San Francisco or New York City, but alas....

Banned Read only
    Dianne, thank you for your comment. I do not see way to the US now, I spoke with an immigration lawyer from the United States and he said that in my case, immigration is only possible if I have a big money to invest or marrying a citizen of the US, others ways will be illigal. LGBT asylum - not my case, since many governments believe Russia is considered LGBT friendly, LGBT immigration possible if I live in Afganistan or similar country, but not in Russia, and I must have real threat to life and health, but nobody will beat or kill me for CDing here, it may happen if I live in Chechnya. Also if I'll try get asylum and it not granted, my entry to country will be banned for lifetime. But there are several ways of legal immigration through work or study in Canada (not to US). It is much more expensive than geting asylum, but real working.