Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 in 20 men?

1 in 20 men?

I went back to the doctor (caught a cold). I decided to ask again and insist on a scientific number. At my last doctor's appointment, the nurse told me that she had worked in an emergency room. I asked her if it was true that a large number of men come in wearing women's underwear. She had said, yes. She assumed I do not crossdress. She laughed and remarked about it in humor. She kind of verified that it was like 1 in 10 to 1 in 20, but in her humor (she's a fun lady), I felt like the number might not have been as accurate as it was fun to say. So, I decided to ask again. I asked her again how many, but I want a scientific number. She paused and thought and then responded, 1 in 15 to 20 men. I remarked again at how surprised I am. That's between 5-7%. She did not joke around this time about it, but she still seemed like she did not think it applied to me. I asked her is that number conservative or generous. She said she thought it might be conservative.

When the doctor came in, I decided to ask again just to verify the number. She said she knew of only one patient. I told her what the nurse said. She said the nurses give shots, so they see a lot of people's waistlines.

Please, ask your health care professional! My approach was, "I have heard it said that in the emergency room, a large number of guys who come in are wearing ladies' underwear. Is that true? Can you estimate how many?"

Joey

If it were that many, i think it would be much more accepted.

I was in the emergency room about 3 weeks ago in severe pain and when the doctor came in she said to pull my underwear down, I was already in a gown, I was wearing a pair of bikini panties that were purple and she did not even flinch and neither did I. I don't think they even care what you are wearing. I don't own a pair of mens underwear anyway. I like female doctors better than male doctors, they seem to not be so abrupt with you.

Platinum Member
    The observations are interesting, but not terribly informative because none of these casual observers were keeping track and, it's based only on an observable behavior. Omitted are this CDrs, for example, who do not dress to the doctors office. Larger studies have placed the number in the range of 10%. Even that number is difficult to verify because so much of the CD population is closeted and even in denial.

To the one point above, don't assume that higher numbers would mean greater acceptance. That is a matter of the prevailing cultural norms. At least 10% of the population is gay or bi and acceptance is only gradually being attained.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Hi, I'm a RN and I'm working on my Masters in Nursing Leadership and education, in my last class I wrote a major paper on Barriers to Transgender Health. Harassement and denial of medical care still exists and I have witnessed it myself in the ICU that I work in. That's the bad news, the good news is that an overwelming majority of my references that I cited, were written in the last 3 years. So the shift is on to educate the medical community on the needs, and the respect to the transgender community.

I have my doubts about that figure. I think the nurse may be suffering from a cognitive bias known as the bizarreness effect.

Who cares about the numbers really? Isn't the most important thing that we are comfortable in our own skin?
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

When I think back when I was 12 0r 13 and thought I was the only boy dressing in his mothers clothes (i'm 66) and feeling so alone. Then I started going to the library and reading about crossdressing. Then reading about Christine Jorgenson and her sex change. Last year I went to the Keystone Conference and saw young teenagers and felt happy for them because at least they didn't feel so alone like I did. It took me a long time, but I realized that I wasn't alone.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Finally! An official and diffinitive answer! Now we KNOW 5% to 7% of US men r CD's. But, how many can fit on the head of a pin?

I agree with Kate. Why does it matter? To make u feel like you're simply part of the gang?

I've seen posts here saying, "most men try on their SO's panties or clothes at one time or another". Which is patent nonsense! I was a regular guy until over 50 y/o. And, in all those 50 years the thot of trying on any of my GF's or wife's clothes simply NEVER ENTERED MY MIND!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I'me with Dianne on the bizzareness factor... I doubt it's even half that...

In any case, I'm not sure that just wearing underwear necessary means they really crossdress...? Might just be for physical comfort, medical reasons (I'm sure we had one of those...?), grabbed the wrong underwear in the morning...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Quote Originally Posted by wanagione View Post
    Hi, I'm a RN and I'm working on my Masters in Nursing Leadership and education, in my last class I wrote a major paper on Barriers to Transgender Health. Harassement and denial of medical care still exists and I have witnessed it myself in the ICU that I work in. That's the bad news, the good news is that an overwelming majority of my references that I cited, were written in the last 3 years. So the shift is on to educate the medical community on the needs, and the respect to the transgender community.
    Thanks for your input. Could you expound on the types of harassment and denial of medical care that you have witnessed. I do believe that it exists and am interested in the details.

To the OP, it is interesting that you have asked your "how many .." questions twice and quite recently because I think I remember your other thread about this, and you still think that they do not suspect that you may be someone who wears women's underwear or clothes, especially when you told your doctor that you also asked the receptionist the same thing too. Asking once may be out of curiosity while asking twice and then connecting two people who work together, I think they my think differently about you now.

Banned Read only
    I know some of you adhere to the position that wearing one article of women's clothing makes you a cross dresser. In my book, if you wear women's panties I will only ascribe "fetish" to your attire. To me, it takes a lot more than a pair of panties to make you a cross dresser. It would be interesting if one in ten who showed up after a car accident were fully en femme. Of course, if a nurse in a doctor's office encountered one in ten wearing panties, then there would definitely be a high percentage since most men would not under dress to an encounter where he would be asked to disrobe.

I've only been "out" dressed once; I went to my masseuse and knew that I would have to disrobe. I went with a sense of anticipation to see his reaction; he was very accepting. I sort of look forward to the next time I visit my doc; I will certainly wear panties and once again I'm looking forward to his reaction!

even if it were 1 in 30... that doesn't take into account those that wouldn't dare wear them to the good dr.s office... OR the ones that didn't have to dis-robe!

so it appears that at least 50% of the male population wear panties and are therefore CDers!

oh dear god!

Men's entire bodies are half female, because of the x chromosome.
    T-shirt says: "Hi, I Crossdress!"

Maybe a related question - how many wear no underwear at all? Where might they fit in the spectrum?
    "But what is Truth? Is Truth unchanging law?
    We both have truths - are mine the same as yours?"

I wear panties 24/7 and when I've gone to my local VA center and had to drop my drawers, they've seen my prettiest and laciest. I've only heard one comment from an attending nurse, she said, "cute panties".
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    I know some of you adhere to the position that wearing one article of women's clothing makes you a cross dresser. In my book, if you wear women's panties I will only ascribe "fetish" to your attire. To me, it takes a lot more than a pair of panties to make you a cross dresser. It would be interesting if one in ten who showed up after a car accident were fully en femme. Of course, if a nurse in a doctor's office encountered one in ten wearing panties, then there would definitely be a high percentage since most men would not under dress to an encounter where he would be asked to disrobe.
    Of course you're entitled to your opinion, Sthephanie. As I am a fetish dresser I feel the opposite. Women's undies r the LAST thing I wear for excitement for the following reasons:

I can't see them after I'm completely dressed. The hilite of my dressing experience.
    They r uncomfortable. And, not in a GOOD way. Heels, girdles, tite, clingy clothes, and bras and forms r.
    They don't work. Unless you're tiny or wear them backwards. I hate fallout.
    I underdressed for some time when I began dressing. Kinky for awhile. Thinking about what you're wearing and no one else knows. When discomfort became overwhelming, it lost it's thrill for me.

If u or anyone can explain what IS the long term thrill of wearing ladies panties? Other than because you're trans and since women wear them u do also? No fetish there. I'm always hoping to learn things here!
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 01-16-2015 at 12:36 AM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I don't think they even care what you are wearing.
    This is true. They mainly care about your insurance coverage.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Why did you have to keep asking the same question?
    No sense in being annoying about it.

Those numbers are only based on people that actually underdress, which is probably just a fraction of all crossdressers. We know that most CDs are closeted, at the point that they do not even take the risk of underdressing to not be outed. Also, I guess that many people that underdress do not do it when they have a medical appointment. That is what I would do at least.

I have been CDing daily at home for the last 10 years, but I only started underdressing in the last few months, so the probability to have seen me underdressed at the medical office in the last 10 years is pretty small.

I have seen multiple times, either in forums or in website (so reliability is not the best, and sorry I do not have a source right now), that MtF CDs are more like 1 in 10 men.

Interesting but I wonder if it really matters? As I dress daily I just think - well if something happens to me and a nurse/doctor sees my knickers or bra - what are they going to do:
    Refuse to treat me? No - because they cannot.
    Make fun of me? No (not that I will hear anyway).
    Cause me any discomfort? A little but if I was bothered I would not wear women's clothes in the first place.

I just think that for those of us who do dress or underdress it shouldn't matter. For routine or on-the-day appointments we can change our underclothes if we feel the need - for emergencies it should enter into our thoughts. We are who we are and as long as we get the medical treatment and attention we need - does it matter who sees? My GP (and the other 2 doctors who work in the practice) all know I cross dress and have seen my underwear and bras being worn when I have had to go in for on-the-day appointments. They have never had issues with it and perhaps this makes me more comfortable with other medical staff as well.

Interesting but not revealant because it's only the % people seen by doctor or nurse.
    That may be far from reality, the only right solution would be a serius statistical analysis.
    But the question is : who will do that ?

Quote Originally Posted by Juliax35 View Post
    Interesting but not revealant because it's only the % people seen by doctor or nurse.
    That may be far from reality, the only right solution would be a serius statistical analysis.
    But the question is : who will do that ?
    Even more, how come this hasen't BEEN done already? Or has it?

I found this when I quickly google the subject:
    http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.ed...T-Apr-2011.pdf

Seems quite seriously done but I haven't had time to go through it all. 0,3% are TG in the USA accoring to this study. 3,5% are homo- or bisexual.

Could this contribute to this discussion?