Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1 in 20 men?

Interresting study but not a word about CD.
    I found an interresting study : The Vernon Coleman study of Crossdressers http://www.crossdreamers.com/2010/11...sdressers.html.
    Problem it's a 1995 study and they just study crodressers.

I'm kind of amazed at how many people here jump at the chance to use ONE source that gives an inflated percentage as what absolutely defines how many of us there are. Consider; if you ask a sales person at a female clothing store in, oh, Greenwich Village NYC or perhaps San Francisco's gay district (wherever that is), you'll probably get an inflated number of how many men they suspect may be buying clothes for themselves. OTOH if you attend a KKK meeting and ask all the homosexuals to raise their hand, you'll learn that there are absolutely no homosexual men on earth at all. You also have to consider that people will often give you the answer that they think you want. So here's one you don't want: Working in a job where customers undress regularly, in oh, almost 40 years I can only remember seeing maybe a dozen men who wore women's underwear. That would make it about 0.01%. Want to use that statistic? It's just as valid as any other one person's experience.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Well isn't that the reason to only look into serious scientifical studies?

I had checked Wikipedia to see what percentage of men are crossdressers. Wikipedia did not seem to know. In fact, it seemed hard to determine what the terms mean and how to ask a question so that the answers have reliable meaning. I had not considered the difficulty of such a measurement. Have you done something once doesn't make you a 'doer of' that thing. From what I have seen on the Legwear as a Unisex Fashion forum and Skirt Cafe, there are men who wear women's clothes (and possibly including underwear) whom would say "No" when asked if they identified as a crossdresser. I decided to ask the medical staff a straight forward question (because of a comment someone had made on this site). I asked a question, I got an answer. What I means, I don't know. So, I put it to you, the community, ask your nurses if you dare. See if they have observed similar numbers. Hopefully, your nurse won't ask a question like, "Why do you ask?" If mine had asked me that, I would have said, "I heard a person say... and I doubt the number. I am curious to hear the truth."

My nurse did not seem to assume anything after being asked the same question twice. She still made a little fun of guys who wear panties after I asked her the second time.

Wikipedia is a rather unreliable source for accurate information. Anyone can add to their articles, with very little documentation about where they got their data. Oh, it makes interesting reading and all, but you won't find it ever used in any scientific studies. And the information you get from ONE doctor's office isn't exactly a good random sample, nor with enough subjects in it.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Hi Joey, Me personally, I don't care how men wear feminine underwear or really don't want to know, but I am one of them!!!!!! Actually, I wear VERY feminine underwear and I LIKE DOING IT!!!!!!

Molly
    "To thine own self be true"

I can believe it. Once you wear panties why would you go back to guys. They fell great.

A medical professional throwing out a number doesn't make it scientific. There are non-crossdressing men who like the fit/fabric/feel of women's panties and so they wear them. I am a crossdresser who never wears panties to the doctor's office.

Based on a quick review of the comments it appears our numbers fall within a range of .001% to 5%. Whatever the "real" number may be, we are a relatively small minority with little social standing and virtually no political power. One way to counter our low numbers is to remember to support the rights of all minorities and to treat everyone with respect.
    Keep warm, both in your dress and within your heart.
    Katie H. Marion

Platinum Member
    Thanks for the link. I read the article and found it interesting. I don't know if any survey will ever come up with a valid percentage. What I do like about the study in this link is the analysis of the numbers and the reasons for cross dressing, etc. I think I would add that article to any information I would give to my wife. At least it seems to reflect many of the feelings and beliefs I have concerning my cross dressing. From being on this forum for a number of years it also reflects many of the respondents here.

Quote Originally Posted by Juliax35 View Post
    Interesting study but not a word about CD.
    I found an interesting study : The Vernon Coleman study of Cross dressers http://www.crossdreamers.com/2010/11...sdressers.html.
    Problem it's a 1995 study and they just study cross dressers.
    Of course, since I am married I'm sure my wife would also like to find some study concerning the acceptance of a cross dressing husband by wives.

Hmmm!
    In my estimation more than fifty percent of the men? here have indulged in cross dressing at some time.

Honestly, we are searching for another holy grail and guesswork reigns supreme.

Anyway, it's great subject matter.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.