Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Age vs What You Wear

Age vs What You Wear

Hi everyone

I was curious about what style you have all chosen and why?
    For me I am in my mid 20's yet still associate myself with the style of girls of 18,19,20 years of age such as wearing skinny jeans, Ugg boots or ballet flats as opposed to mary janes or petticoats.
    when I was younger and figuring out that I liked dressing I wasnt so fussy with what I wore as long as it was female
    I cant stand to fly, I'm not that naive. I'm just out to find the better part of me. I'm more than a bird, I'm more than a plane, I'm more than some pretty face beside a train. Its not easy to be me.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I'm 70. But, just can't bring myself to dress that age quite yet, Sarah.

P1000634 (5) (537x640).jpg
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Read only
    Last week my daughter-in-law asked me how I felt, physically. My physical therapist at my last visit made the comment that I "was in good shape." I told both of them that outwardly I may look like I am in good shape. Outwardly, I am. On the inside I told them it's different. Structurally, there are deficiencies. Like disc and joint issues or neuropathy. How I feel without looking in the mirror governs my style. I feel like a woman in her forties than a woman my age. I only wear dresses. I have never had the urge to buy any feminine garment with legs, except pantyhose. A middle age woman in her forties and fifties who wears a casual/work dress seems to wear one that is knee length. Heels are not too high. Five inch heels may be great for clubbing, but, a pain in the office. My dresses are usually sheaths, wraps or empire waists due to my height. I hate the look of a natural waist of a dress hitting six inches up my torso. At six foot it is almost impossible to find a natural waist dress that fits my natural waist. Most women seem to have abandoned the Barbie doll look by the time they are in their forties and fifties. I'd say my choice of dresses fits in that mindset. My wife made a comment the other night that the weather girl needed a dress one size larger because it was too snug and accentuated her bulges. If I were a GG, I'd say my style of dress would draw attention to my bust (42C) and away from my natural waist of 38 hidden by the non hugging style of dress.

So, I have the mindset of a working/professional woman and dress accordingly.

Hi Sarah, IMO there isn't much difference between 25 and 20, but that's because I'm more than twice that age!

I was a student on campus in my early 50s and I wore what the college girls wore … blue jeans and tops, but then this seems to be a universal way to dress casually no matter the age or the environment. I've been blessed with a slim body, so I did not feel any restriction on the type of clothes I should wear, even when my SO and I used to go to LGBT clubs and a lot of people there were wearing club wear.

But, alas the effects of aging are catching up, and I just don't like how my knees look compared to my early 50s anymore (plus I've developed a tummy), so I wear knee-lenght skirts now when I am not wearing jeans/pants and I choose tops that do not place my tummy in evidence. lol. If I do choose to wear a dress/skirt that is above the knee, I wear opaque tights like Sherry. And long gone are the days when I would feel comfortable wearing a bikini at the beach, not with all those other 20-30-40 year olds running around.
    Reine

This will probably start another one of those "dress your feelings" vs "dress your age" discussions.

<sigh>
    After all, we ARE talking about men wearing women's clothes ...

Personally, I dress as a professional, middle class, 60-something woman, but have no problem with someone else dressing as a sumo wrestler, if that's what makes him happy.

But no clowns... please no clowns.

Best wishes
    MsVal
    Last edited by MsVal; 01-16-2015 at 01:13 PM.

In my mind I'm still in my early twenties and like to dress accordingly...short skirts , heels , spaghetti strap tops etc but in reality as I'm in my mind forties think I should dress more demurely , more like a business woman...still in heels but not so high , skirts but not so short , tailored blouses and the like , dresses but not too short and skin exposing lol. Still look ladylike but not so young 😀

I would say I dress contemporary urban casual for a 40 year old. Mostly dresses with heels or flats. Cardi over the shoulders. No hose of any kind, tights yes. Hose no. I love my maxi skirts. No that is not to say I don't have micro minis and the like. But those days are past for me. It was like a really quick teen young adult compression. When I came to grips with myself I started exploring and buying what I had seen in my youth and worked my way through it in a couple years. Now I feel more comfortable in the clothes that hang in my closet.
    You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because your all the same

Woman first, Trans second
    I'm in my mid-30s, and I think I dress like most women I know in that age group. Put together a bit better, and maybe a touch more conservative with lengths (most of the time), but not otherwise that different from the late 20s. Honestly, it's not like a switch flips once every 5 years and they forcibly move you to a new section of the dept. store (although more women should leave the juniors section a good bit earlier than I see them doing).

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah-RT View Post
    For me I am in my mid 20's yet still associate myself with the style of girls of 18,19,20 years of age such as wearing skinny jeans, Ugg boots or ballet flats as opposed to mary janes or petticoats.
    I don't see anything wrong with skinny jeans and ballet flats, even in my mid-30s (and for people older), although the colors/embellishments might change a bit based on age. Ugg boots are, well, ugh (at least to me). Are that many mid-20s women really wearing petticoats right now? I don't think I've noticed that... Short flared and/or round hem skirts over tights, however... totes.
    Coming out is like discovering that you've been drowning your whole life after actually breathing air for the first time.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    I do tend to dress a bit younger than I am 53, but I do love some of the 20 and 30 something styles. However if Im trying to blend I have to look more my age.

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    my range is sexy school girl to sexy older aunt, according to my wife.

I seem to be trapped between ages. My underwear is very strongly influenced by my early introduction to cross dressing via lingerie of the 1950's and 1960's. So, I like to wear the styles of those times beneath my outer clothes, which in contrast reflect the style favoured by ladies who routinely shop at Chicos and similar stores. I always like to wear a slip beneath my dress or skirt even though that is not very common today.

I really like to see what Girls around my age are wearing and I tend to wear the same sort of style. Me being in my mid 30's it is normally jeans or leggings and tops but I love to wear skirts and dresses too, I thinks once I get past 40 I may have to really think more about it.

I use clothes that I like when I look in the mirror wearing those clothes. Some are youngish and others not so much. Sometimes I like what I see and then go out. Later when back at home I may then ask myself why I thought that particular outfit looked good in the first place when now it obviously does not. Basically, I dress like a enjoy seeing other stylish girls and women wear. As a result I tend to blend very well with just a little, in my opinion if course, more dressy look than the rest of the real life women that I may be around when out. That is how I used to dress as a professional working male, one notch above the rest around me. I dress no where near my actual age when compared to the GG's I see regularly. For me it all works and that makes me happy, and that is why I like dressing up in women's clothing!

I'm helping my husband buy clothes so reading this has been helpful. He's 60 next year so I'm thinking that something appropriate for a sophisticated 40 year old would work to make him feel younger and still not look like a teenager. My biggest struggle is helping him with make-up for a wrinkled face. We have a nice auburn longish wig that makes him feel feminine and looks good with the clothes we have. But he's still fixated on black clothes and almost has a goth look if left to himself whereas I'd rather he blended in better. Trying to find a compromise. Did you find you changed your own personal styles several times before deciding on one and sticking to it?

Most of the time I'm casual and as such I dress for the age I appear, not my chronological age. My wife tells me I look about 45 and I'm happy with that. I don't think I'll ever be of the mindset to dress my actual age as that would be depressing at best. I still feel mentally in my 20's and physically in my 40's so I'm surely not going to dress my 60's.
    crop PB180018.jpgjeans black 2_exposure.jpgCheryl piano bench.jpgCheryl Natl Hotel.jpg100_3990.jpg

So here's an assortment of me and what I like to wear depending on what I'm doing....from dressy to jeans to casual summer...
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I'm a Senior that likes to shop in Juniors so I can look my best and hopefully a little younger. I think dressing age appropriate is irrelevant since I'm not dressing gender appropriate. Hugs Jaymee
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Jaymees thats a great answer love it. I know what you mean about those junior clothes too, they have all the cute stuff for sure

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    I'm old enough to remember the "I like Ike" and JFK. Here's a couple of my favorites.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I also agree with Jaymee, her answer couldn't be more perfect I might care if I got out more but being around the house and taking pictures? whatever I want to wear

Lynn, I absolutely LOVE the first outfit! Very classy!
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

Aspiring Member
    I think I tend to choose styles that are in the range of what 30 to 45 year old GG's wear, as that is the age I can relate to and it is within my age range. Most skirts are just above the knee, heels are quite high but no platforms over 1/2 inch, I do wear nylons often (even though some would argue nylons are for old ladies) and blouses are somewhat low cut (but not ridiculous mind you) and my wigs are shoulder length.

It is what I feel comfortable wearing. I just don't feel comfortable wearing what teenagers wear, and there are things that just don't look good on me...... a bikini for example.

When I was twenty I dressed stylishly and was able to do so.
    I dressed age appropriate until about fourty.
    Now it is anything between thirty and fourty.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Cheryl,

Lookin' good! I'm impressed with that collage of yours. I'm in my mid sixties and don't think of myself anywhere near that old, as well. You give me hope.

Stephanie

Just from a guy's perspective at 41, we did the tapered jeans, hipster, look in the 80s and the grunge look they now call "lumberjack in the early 90s and prefer to leave it there now - kinda makes contemporary style an oxymoron doesn't it???

Maybe though how you dress is not so much about how old you feel so much as it is what your fem side wants to project.

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    I def dress and style myself a bit younger I shop at Forever 31....but makeup can do wonders LOL......when it is not all over your scarf....
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm not sure what age bracket i fall into when I dress , for me at the moment a nice light maxi dress is the most comfotable to wear in this heat - http://www.autographfashion.com.au/P...r=lu2f__095235
    Last edited by Andrea_cd; 01-16-2015 at 05:54 PM.