Thread: Tactical Purge

Tactical Purge

The dreaded purge word I have heard so much about but has anyone ever purged for growth or development?

When I was younger and poorer I settled for whatever I could afford whether it fit properly or not because I had to guess the sizes and also felt the fear of shopping that we all get.
    Since amazon is so helpful for discrete ordering and I also have the funds to buy what I like as well as bit of experience knowing what styles work etc I was thinking of clearing out my stash of smaller or older clothing items to make room for items that will fit better, match better etc.

Anyone else had an experience with this? Im worried about clearing out the stuff that I started with because of the memories and also because I have a smaller range of newer better suited items that I may become bored of the new stuff if its all I have to wear.

Sarah x
    I cant stand to fly, I'm not that naive. I'm just out to find the better part of me. I'm more than a bird, I'm more than a plane, I'm more than some pretty face beside a train. Its not easy to be me.

I am at the point where I buy things that fit properly and fit my dressing habits and I have over the years weeded out the things that I no longer wore but I can honestly say that I wish I still had some of the things that I purged years ago thinking I didn't need to dress anymore.
    Choose what you get rid of carefully so you don't have regrets too , once its gone its gone.
    Last edited by Tomara; 01-17-2015 at 10:21 AM. Reason: spelling

Platinum Member
    Once I figured out the colors and styles that worked best for me, I unloaded a closet full of mistakes. A purge of fashion faux pas!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

This has been an ongoing process for me. I just recycled a suit and dress that I have had for 15 or 20 years purchased from ebay. I go through my woman's clothing once a year to dispose of things that I don't wear. These two I just kept around, but it was time for them to go, I needed the space.
    Please call me Lisa!

I recycle anything the does not fit right or does not flatter me (sometimes something that looks good in the store only gets worn once or twice and i decide it goes) - i donate them to charity shops

That's not really a purge, sweetie, that's a wardrobe update. They're cool. Purging is usually a sad event motivated by despair or self-loathing. You're just moving on up -- that's a cause for celebration! Congratulations.

If you find yourself dissatisfied because your new wardrobe is too small, buy more. I used to make fun of my girlfriends because of all the clothes they had, but I swear Jennie is just as bad as any of them. Male me still just has one suit, a few pairs of jeans and some t-shirts, but Jennie has 2/3 of my closet and half my dresser (hmm... never stopped to think of the irony in that term) drawers.

Jennie hit the nail on the head. That's not a purge. That's sensible. I've been getting rid of old clothes and stuff that doesn't fit (my body or my style), mostly by donating them to charity. We have lots of bins around where I live for donations of clothing. Just be sure you don't throw out more personal things or mementos, like pictures, maybe something someone gave you that has a sentimental connection, and the like. The things that are irreplaceable.
    No purging, just wardrobe updating.

Getting rid of things you never wear isn't purging, it's updating your wardrobe. AND you'll have more room for new stuff. Go for it!

It's not purging, it's culling and updating. If you purge after eating, it's not selective. We usually think of purging when we want to quit dressing and we think getting rid of everything will do it. Ha!

I am and have always been a clothes horse. I am seventy, and just last year, I got rid of two men's suits that I outgrew when I quit smoking for my fortieth birthday present to myself. (I gained twenty [pounds, that has never gone away).

I resolved this year that I would not buy anything new unless one of two conditions is met: The new item has to be a replacement for something that is worn out; or, I have to dispose of a similar item that the new item will replace, by donating it to Goodwill, or a comparable place.
    "We don't see things as they are; we see things as we are." Anais Nin

I am trying to cull my wardrobe, but it is so hard to do, but I have to do it...no more room at all. I guess I am just going to have to start and not look back. As I look at the things that I think should go I will make sure that they really don't suit me anymore or that I am REALLY not going to wear it. When I buy I try and make sure things go with other items so I can mix and match. I just have a hard time getting rid of things.

Call it what you will -- cull, purge, thin out, filter -- I do this annually. Usually in late December and I donate my "lightly used" goods to those who can benefit and enjoy them again. I used to hold on to everything, and the very first letting go event was a tough one, indeed.

Platinum Member
    Hi Sarah, I have thinned out my closets to make room for new clothes.
    I only buy where they have a great return policy.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I have a tactical purge just before I fly.
    I need to get the baggage weight down so out goes all the old and useless gear.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Frustration Purge

Quote Originally Posted by MissTee View Post
    Call it what you will -- cull, purge, thin out, filter -- I do this annually. Usually in late December and I donate my "lightly used" goods to those who can benefit and enjoy them again. I used to hold on to everything, and the very first letting go event was a tough one, indeed.
    unfortunately I just had what I consider a purge, dumping a bunch of clothes out of frustration and disappointment. All gone... very sad.

It sounds like you are just cleaning out your closet not really purging and that's a good thing. Styles change and so should we. Hugs Jaymee
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

"Purging" implies totality -- you're getting rid of everything you own, hoping it will not tempt you again (seldom works). Weeding your wardrobe of old or unloved items is just a sensible, practical way to make room for new things and maybe help your old ones find a home where they will be more appreciated. Even if you discard the majority of your clothes, as long as you retain an outfit or two with the intention to wear them, it's not a "purge."

Cleaning house from time to time is a good idea. Wish I knew how!

- Diane

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    I purge ( well wardrobe update) every few months.....thats a good thing..it updates your look & style ....some people get really attached to the clothing....i am not one of those people. ...a full purge however is different, and i have done a few of those too LOL....whats good about those is everytime I did one I came back stronger, and better.....its part of growing i guess

I have definitely done the tactical purge clothes go out of style get to small or to big depending on wieght

Banned Read only
    In the past I have culled my wardrobe to get rid of garments that never fit correctly. Before I became savvy as to sizing and fit I had would grab anything. A lot of the dresses did not fit well because I'm tall and the natural waist of the dress came up too high on my torso. Long ago I donated those dresses. I have not discarded some dresses that I know may be too tight. They are just too darn pretty to get rid of. And, there is always hope someday they will fit again.

Updating a wardrobe is definitely not purging. If I had the nerve to buy dresses in my teens, the dresses would have been mini skirts: a child of the 1960's I am. Now Well I am a mature person and definitely feel better dressed with a dress that is knee length +/- an inch or two.

I go through my male and female wardrobe a couple times a year to get rid of things that are out of style or that I just don't like anymore. Tastes and trends change and there's nothing wrong with replacing things.
    "There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. "

- Anais Nin

That's just getting rid of things that don't work anymore. Donating them gives you a tax write off.
    Keep sentimental things, just not too many. Help others and yourself and feel good about it. Smile.
    Hugs

Barbara I'm sorry to hear that you feel that way. If you want to discuss what your feeling or going through I'm all ears

Sarah x