Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are clothes just clothes?

Clothes can often be more than that. As a guy, you feel more empowered when wearing a nice suit as opposed to sweat pants and a hoodie. GGs get the same feeling when wearing a great dress, heels, nice hair, etc. so clothes can definately have special "powers". As a CDer, I love being able to experience that from a feminine perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by carahawkwind View Post
    Sometimes clothes are just clothes, sometimes they aren't
    And that pretty much sums it up.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Aside from their utility, clothes are symbols. There is nothing inherently feminine about a piece of clothing - even a bra. Clothing only has the meaning you assign to it. Because of that, you don't necessarily have to wear them to get the effect. Some of my best crossdressing experiences never happened outside my mind.

Clothes maketh the man and also the woman.
    Yes they are a necessary accessory.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I don't believe that clothes have special powers but for me as a fetishistic Transvestite, they convey a host of meanings and various items of clothing have very special memories attached to them. When I am dressed in feminine clothing I feel comfortable, sexy and of course, very feminine. I react accordingly and a boyfriend from long ago told me that when dressed en femme I would move and walk quite differently.

Of course it was not the clothes alone that did this but the strong feelings that I had long ago established with that particular type of clothing.
    Some have written books on the sociological aspects of clothing and that is a huge and complex subject in itself.

Banned Read only
    As male, clothes have never been Just Clothes for me. They are a relection of how I feel at the time, or would like to feel.

As female, clothes have never been Just Clothes for me either. They represent something between a Time Machine and a Teleportation Device...

Clothes are often chosen and worn to project an image. The business person in a suit, the doctor in a white lab coat, the athlete in a team jersey, the comfortable person in sweats... There is nothing inherently business like about a suit, and many successful business transactions take place on a golf course where the attire is again specific to the activity.

"Don't dress for the job you have, dress for the job you want to have."

So... what image do you want to project? There are clothes to project that image.
    Ingenue
    Prostitute
    Bookkeeper
    Matron

Best wishes
    MsVal

I personally just got with the latest trends - prefer the casual girly girl next door look and dread wearing pumps - mules are my preference (sadly too expensive ones)

Pirate Queen wannabe Maria Blackwood's Avatar
    When I'm in a suit all I can think is how soon before I can get out of the bloody thing.

I love my hoodies.