Thread: When You Least Expect it, Do the Unexpected.

When You Least Expect it, Do the Unexpected.

Hello Everyone,

I have a sweet unexpected tale. During the holidays, I had a couple of pairs of pants (male) that I needed hemming. I normally go to a tailor located in a small strip near my apt. This time, I decided to try another tailor a few shops down the street from my usual tailor. Why? I had no complaints from the tailors I usually patron. A bit pricey, I thought, but they were sweet ladies. I had seen this other tailor's shop for years and for some reason, I had this feeling.

So, the man that greeted me, took the measurement for the hem, next Saturday, they would be ready. Ok, so far, so good.

The following Saturday, I go pick the pants up and they are ready, great! I get to talking to the man who is obviously the owner. I learned that he operates the shop with his wife. But he said something that caught my ear, or maybe I was looking for something. He said, " We will do anything" I replied, "Anything", he confirmed, "Anything."

Well, I have a couple of dresses that I've always wanted altered because the arms are a bit too large. So, of course, my mind started "What if..." I didn't say anything then, but kept it in the back of my head.

Fast forward to today, I bought another pair of pants yesterday and need the hem altered. So, I went back to this shop. This time, the wife was present. We said our hellos, and she showed me to the dressing room so I can put the pants on. While I was in there, I saw this evening gown hanging. Well, my Cassie persona kicked in and told myself, "Now is the time." I don't know why, but I just felt she would be receptive to my coming out. I walked out side, we measured the hem, and I went back to change back into my jeans. As I emerged, we exchanged some chit chat. I then asked, very commonly, if she made the dress that was hanging in the dressing room. She said no, but they did some altering of the bodice and lining. We both looked at the dress both offering our comments on what would embellish the gown to perfection. The lady said it belong to the wife of a major car dealer whose name is very well known in my city. I made the comment that, "Well, if she ever wants to get rid of it, let me know, I love it!. She smiled. Then I did it!

I said, I sometimes like to dress and have a couple of dresses that need some alterations. She was so sweet, smiled and said, "You do?, Bring Them, We'll fix them." I asked, if she would mind that they would be for me, she said, "No, No, not at all. Do you know (said name)" He is down the street and that he one of the ones that makes some of the gowns for our annual Fiesta Royalty that reign over our annual Fiesta Week here in San Antonio. The queens, princesses, duchesses, and ladies wear some of the most wonderful, magical, regal gowns ever worn by any member of royalty, real or fictional. She went on to say, he will create a dress or gown for you." I was so happy. She spoke to me not as freak, or weirdo, but as someone who likes his dresses to fit.

So, I have a seamstress for my femme and drab clothes, lol. I can believe it! A little courage, a deep breath, and you never know what can happen. And you know it feel so good to let someone else know the real you and have that someone accept you.

I just had to share.

Cassie.

Wow, that's impressive ! i would to have the same courage as you have, good for you. You did right ! I also would like to interact in this way with a shop owner, that would be amazing :P

Platinum Member
    that is so very cool. Its nice to feel accepted and great to have a competent seamstress to work on alterations!

I often drop off or pick up clothes at our local dry cleaners and - since I spend most of my days at home en femme - the couple that owns it has seen me in both male and female mode many times. Ive even had my picture take with the female proprietor. She liked my dress
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Very cool story and nice to find such a place! I've thought about looking around for a place or person to do alterations (and possibly items from scratch), but haven't gotten serious about it (so far).

Gone to live my life
    Hi Cassie,

What a great story and thanks for sharing. My only question now is who do you feel like a . . . queen, princess, duchess or lady?

Hugs

Isha

I have a skirt that needs taking in by a couple of inches. Have been wrestling with the idea of taking it in and have also been reading up on how to do it myself. I suppose the middle ground is to pin it myself and take it in and see how it goes from there. Thank you for the inspiration!

Yay, Cassie!

you never know what the day may bring huh?

LOL Isha! I must admit, being gay, I do claim Queen by right, Princess by birth, Duchess by marriage should that ever happen. A Lady always! Much like Mary, Queen of Scots, I deny any treasonous conspiracy against my dear cousin, but I will always follow my heart. Where is my red petticoat!

Cassie

Been there, done that.

I just posted this on another thread.

I went to a female tailor to get an evening gown altered. I was hoping to get it let out, but she said she couldn't do it without my wife trying it on. I 'fessed up and told her it was for me. She told me to put it on and she would mark it up. There wasn't really a dressing room but just a circular curtain to change behind. As soon as I went in, a male customer came in. I just stayed quietly behind the curtain until he left.

But the cool thing was, once she found out I liked evening dresses, she brought out half a dozen that she had in a back room for me to try on. I eventually bought two of them.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

UPDATE:

I went to pick up my pants today. So, I've been planning this all week. I underdressed under my boy jeans and a bra under my tee shirt. It was cool enough today to wear a sweater so, no bra straps showing. I put my forms in my gym bag and off I went. The lady I first spoke last week answer the door. She retrieved my pants and I told her I had that dress I spoke of.. she said, oh, sure. .bring it in. So, I changed in the dressing room, made sure I shaved my arms as I knew I would be raising them for the measurements. She was so sweet, pin pointing what needed to be done to make my look better in the dress. We chatted design and things, changed back, and off I went.

I pick up my dress next Saturday, and probably drop off a skirt...LOL

I am happy

Cassie

Aspiring Member
    A similar tale on how I got my wedding gown altered to fit. I saw a local bridal shop having a "going out of business. I went into the shop to look around. They still had some nice gowns. I asked to try one on. The owner, a man, helped me into the gown. We found that it was an inch too small around the chest.

He suggested going to a local tailor and having them replace the zipper with a crisscrossing tie in the back. (It does not take long looking at wedding gowns on the web to see such a thing.) He mentioned selling dresses to another guy in town who used the same tailor. I bought the dress and took it to the tailor. She knew exactly what to do, even if I really did not really understand what I was asking for. The dress came out very well. The sash that she used is smooth enough that I can put on the gown and lace it up my back by myself!

The tailor is still there, but the dress shop is gone. I should have picked up a bridesmaid dress or two!

I had a seamstress that I used to alter my clothes. She let me dress in her shop and go ut. It was wonderful, but she closed the business. I've never found another...
    Please call me Lisa!

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    Great story, I imagine they have a steady customer!

Years ago I used a seamstress to alter a dress and a few other femme items. She didn't bat an eyelid and I felt 100% comfortable with her, right from the word go. Perhaps it's a profession where clothes come first, and many of them are TG-friendly?
    I used to have a short attention spa