Thread: Made appointment to get my wig cut and was amazed...

Banned Read only

Made appointment to get my wig cut and was amazed...

A few weeks ago I decided to get my wig shortened and re-styled. It's just too long and drives me nuts now. On Monday I finally got around to looking for a shop in San Jose. I like to reach out via e-mail and tell it like it is when possible. Not because I am ashamed or think I have to or even that I am afraid I will be refused, but rather, I want to have a good time and that can't be done with someone who does not want to perform the service but does anyway. So I reached to three salons and Stacey replied within 5 minutes I my message!

"Jennifer,
    Thank you for contacting us! We would be happy to service you with any of your beauty needs. Paper Doll is very comfortable with any person and their walk of life so no problem there. We do not specialize in cutting wigs but we have all had a hand in extension hair cutting so I believe we will do a great job with your wig. Please feel free to give us a call to book a haircut appointment or book online. Thank you again and we can't wait to meet you.

Stacey Snell
    Owner/stylist "

The mail exchange went on a bit more as I sent her a few photos of me in the current wig style and some with new style ideas.
    I'm going from long and wavy to long bob. I also asked her to give me whispy bangs. We'll see. My appointment is a week from Saturday

I'm posting this because it just shows how people can actually relate to and interact with a cross dresser. I will be her first one! Her genuine warmth and excitement to help me did catch me off guard but did make me feel good. People can surprise you.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jenniferathome; 01-21-2015 at 07:25 PM.

I'm sure it will go very well, you certainly put some work into making sure it is what you want. Looking forward to the new pics!

Not every stylist in every salon is comfortable with us, but many of them are absolutely great. The best ones love making people look good and are interested in furthering their skills and having a good adventure by working with us. It doesn't hurt that it's a competitive industry, and we are usually willing to pay well, and frequently, for their help. All in all, salons are among the most accepting places I've gone as Diane. I've been politely turned down a few times, but have never had any trouble at all finding plenty of other hair stylists and nail technicians who were both good at their work and a pleasure to deal with.

- Diane

Just can't help myself! Brenda456's Avatar
    That is great advice. Thank you.

Jennifer: Great post; I've had 3 wigs styled for me while wearing them in the chair by my stylist at Ulta, and have had great results. My favorite wig now looked like a dead animal on my head when I first received it...the results I've experienced are amazing! The last time I was enfemme completely and we had a lot of fun... I told her it was "much more fun coming in here with boobs"! She laughed out loud...and then received a nice tip...

Jamie
    Last edited by Jamie Christopher; 01-22-2015 at 10:52 AM.
    At the makeup counter

That's awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing the results because I need some re-styled as well. She might get a few more customers out of this. =)

Well, if you sent her that picture of yourself I'm sure that didn't hurt. You have a very infectious smile. I think the style in the other photo (with the blurred face) would look good on you. Sounds like you will have fun and get some good styling done! I should probably look into doing something like that with some of my wigs (not like I have a ton of wigs! Just 4 or 5, and maybe one or 2 could do with some styling.)

Platinum Member
    I can't speak for every stylist...only the small, selective sample of those I have used over the years. They have all been incredibly welcoming, willing to experiment and full of great tips and ideas to improve my look - whether it was with my natural hair or wigs. Thanks for sharing this exchange to further reinforce the generally positive response we can expect.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    I can't speak for every stylist...only the small, selective sample of those I have used over the years. They have all been incredibly welcoming, willing to experiment and full of great tips and ideas to improve my look - whether it was with my natural hair or wigs. Thanks for sharing this exchange to further reinforce the generally positive response we can expect.
    This has been my experience as well. What I usually did, was call a salon and talk with them first to find out their acceptance level and then check out the salon to see if it was a place that I felt comfortable going to. If they were really accepting, but were located in the middle of a mall, I might not decide to go there. If you find a stylist that you like, hopefully they will give you a way to contact them in case they leave that salon. I've followed my stylist to a couple different places that she has worked.
    Dana Ryan

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    I was looking for a simple wig drying frame and tried a local salon and the gracious gentleman inside had just what I was looking for. A few months later I had a new wig I wanted restyled and visited the same shop again, still in drab, and made an appointment. That Friday I wore the wig dressed and made up for the evening to Donald's salon and he made me look and feel like a gorgeous lady. I was sitting in the chair in front of a huge sidelit mirror just preening like a teenager! That was so much fun. Now I just drop my 2 favorite wigs off every month or so for refreshing. Donald is so cool. He changed my whole look.

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    Jenn you are going to have a great experience. I know first hand, about a year ago I was lead on to a stylist. A friend talked to her ahead of time and she knew upfront why I wanted help. Have been going once a month since and she is wonderful. She has been really helpful with styling and coloring my hair, but also while Im there we have some really nice talks also. She has helped me in more ways than just hair. You can never have too many friends.
    My advice is to everyone here. If you are considering looking for help, be it cloths, hair anything. Just call or now most everyone has a website. You can email them and ask. Let them know upfront what your reason for wanting help, if they are willing to help they will let you know, if not at least you didnt have any face to face let down.
    Erica

Hi Jenn,

I'll just add my to this. I've also found that salons can be very receptive to us -- it doesn't hurt to ask first! Juanita did a wonderful job reviving one of my wigs, and as far as I know I was the first CD she had dealt with, and she gave me very good advice about the care of my wigs. What I found interesting was the reactions of the other women and staff who were there -- very supportive and encouraging. It didn't seem to matter that I was obviously male (I did go en femme) -- I'd dropped the wig off earlier and had to be de-wigged -- ladies in the other chairs had several nice comments about the color and the style. Of course I complimented them on their hair. I really just felt like one of the girls.

Do tell us how it goes!

Hugs,

claire
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

What a great post! I like how you did your homework first. That's a great tip!

Any update on the cut?? Inquiring minds want to know!

Banned Read only

It's was done and fun

Jennifer,
    I found that making yourself interesting to various organisations made the eventual meeting a snap.

I have done bra fittings, bought wigs and tried on clothing all without any worry.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.