Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When you see someone dressed in public...

When I Lived in New Mexico while taking care of my mothers estate, I worked overnight at a wallys and drove cabs. Never saw anyone that I thought was dressed in my cab but did know some FTM folk that rode along. I never said anything that might have scared or offended them but had some funny conversations.

We had one Lady that came into the store late at night or early in the morning dressed to the nines. Unfortunately many of the workers made fun of her even the people you wouldn't think would. I caught quite a bit of flak because I would tell people mind your own business and be careful as the stores attitude was if you made any kind of harassment you would be fired on the spot. She was a very nice looking lady and I loved her clothes. She would walk the entire store on her trips and when she came into my area I always made sure to tell her Hi and ask if there was anyway I could help her find anything. I would have loved to talk to her and tell her how nice she looked but that would have been sexual harassment. She usually dressed in 50's or 60's attire.

I guess yah do nothing.

Banned Read only
    Another time was really awkward and annoying. I like to go shopping in indoor malls. I was set upon by a duo of really badly dressed CD's who wanted to join me. They looked like the drag fobs on Monty Python. Whatever attention I may or may not draw to myself I was not interested in the kind of attention they would have added. They had trouble taking no for an answer and became agressive. I had to speak forcefully to get rid of them. Ruined the evening for me really.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah-RT View Post
    I was once in a shopping mall and saw a person walk by headed to a clothes shop who was 6' 5'' or so, im 6' 4'' and they were taller than me,
    Hi Sarah, Just a question about your sighting, at that height would you say she stood out like a sore thumb? Also I take it you weren't dressed at the time? The reason I ask is that I'm also the same height as the CDer you saw, I too go out and about and love having a wander in the supermarkets, I must admit, apart from a couple of curious teens I've never had any issues, I usually take a trolley to allow me to stoop a little and it gives me something to focus on or duck behind if needs be lol

I have also seen another CDer at our local supermarket, I was mortified with her choice of clothing, she stepped out of a car with a male driver, she wore a bright yellow non fitted very short dress, a white cardigan and was wearing black stockings and suspenders, clearly visible with the length of dress, small heeled black shoes carrying a black hand bag, she had a short blonde wig on, age? Mid to late 50's I'd say, respect for the outing in broad daylight but that outfit was never going to blend, maybe I'm to critical but it just wasn't a good look.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    I rarely spot one of our tribe in the wild. We are not as prolific as many would like to believe.
    How true. You would think that here in Las Vegas seeing a gender explorer would be commonplace. I actually see way more genetic women in fully male mode. It's always interesting to see the visual icons of maleness they choose to embellish. But, it's somewhat rare to see a CD male. And when I do, I make no attempt to engage as I understand that can be traumatic for some of us. On the other hand, I don't believe I've been clocked that often. Nor do I care.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Aspiring Member
    Can't understand why one of us would go stalking another one, how would you feel if someone done that to you?

Yes, I'd say its very rare to spot a "sister" in public. Outside of events and bars of course!

Only once did it happen to me, I actually recognized a gal from her online profile on an airplane i was traveling on! I did not want to freak her out or give her away (very passable) but i did want to scream "you are not alone!" and how wonderful to see you in public! and I love your outfit!...I dress too!

I casually said hello and left her my card with a quick note. We did have a wonderful short chat after we got off the plane..it was fabulous!
    [SIZE="2"]Cassie[/SIZE]

I have not seen anyone else out while I was in male mode.
    All I would do is smile in approval and most likely not engage them.
    Its just a privacy thing, I would not want to freak them out.

What you have to consider is this the first time they are out and me approching them wories that I read them, or worse know them as a guy. Not knowing her situation.

However with that said if I did know them and they just never met me as a guy I would introduce myself.
    Megan Martin

" some guys play golf, I play girl"

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by leannejacobs View Post
    I have also seen another CDer at our local supermarket, I was mortified with her choice of clothing, she stepped out of a car with a male driver, she wore a bright yellow non fitted very short dress, a white cardigan and was wearing black stockings and suspenders, clearly visible with the length of dress, small heeled black shoes carrying a black hand bag, she had a short blonde wig on, age? Mid to late 50's I'd say, respect for the outing in broad daylight but that outfit was never going to blend, maybe I'm to critical but it just wasn't a good look.
    If you line 10 crossdressers up and ask them "What is your goal while dressed?" you will likely get 10 different answers. There is a spectrum from not caring if you blend or not to working very hard to blend in and all points in between. Also, many men (and women also, for that matter) don't have much of a fashion sense and in many cases, are NOT trying to cultivate one. As jarring as that may seem, that can be the reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassiecd View Post
    Yes, I'd say its very rare to spot a "sister" in public. Outside of events and bars of course!
    Dunno if it's something about the areas where I live but I run across MtoF crossdresser/transexuals dressed in public on a semi-regular basis. (every 2 to 3 months or so)

I've never approached them as I'm uncomfortable approaching strangers nor do I want to draw attention to them if they are trying to avoid being read.
    That said some of the more readable ones have lead to interesting conversations with friends (None of whom know I'm a CD'r) who I am with about the topic.

I often find that some of the people I would most expect to be ok with it are the ones who regard them in the least regard and make the harshest comments.

Kind of why I don't go out in public unless later in the evening to a place I know there will be other like us. If another CD can recognize us then the public can and perhaps "who cares" as those that don't understand aren't quite so kind as to pay us a compliment. Besides being 6'2" even short heels, I kind of stand out and with a man's shoulders I really stand out. For those that can get by and love to go out, I'm jealous and envious but am very happy for you as I'd so love to shop en fem.