Thread: Finasteride

Aspiring Member

Finasteride

Just about at the 7 month mark of HRT. E dose has officially been increased. Spiro dose was doubled around 4 months ago. It'll be interesting to see what's around the corner now.

I inquired about whether there was any hope for my hair. My GP suggested asking about Propecia, which I did but was prescribed Finasteride instead which appears to be the same thing but different name. My interpretation of Dr. Google suggests I may see around a 30% increase in hair count. Doesn't seem like much but it's something. Considering there are still bald people around I'm not holding my breath on achieving flowing flocks rivalling Rapunzel.

Does anyone here have any experience with Finasteride? Yay or nay?

I have been taking finasteride for a couple years. I might be experiencing a little less hair loss but no noticeable new growth. I really haven't paid much attention to it though.

Silver Member
    Propecia is a lower dosage of Finasteride, Proscar a higher. That's it.

I've taken it for almost three years. Hair loss has stopped. Regrowth? Not so much ... I had some, and on a percentage basis - 30/40% - it sounds pretty good, but it's not NEARLY enough.
    Lea

1 year on Finasteride and it has stopped loss and I have had considerable regrowth but it can't do miracles. Give it a go and see what happens.

Thanks for this thread... I'm in the same boat. When I finally get my endo appointment (no call yet from her office...) I'll ask about this.

I was taking Finasteride, but my doc took me off of it because its used as a Tblocker booster. I was on it for 2 years before they took me off of it. My T had hit critical lows that was unhealthy. So, I haven't take it for the past year.

Been on Proscar level dose for a decade or more for prostate growth control. I believe it is why I have kept my hair. Don't know that it caused any regrowth though.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Gold Member
    I have been on the Proscar level for a four years. I asked for Propecia and my GP gave me my first PSA test and I was close enough for Proscar. While it initially stopped the loss and filled in a little back, I did go through a period of hair loss when my T spiked and I was still on the Finesteride. So as you can see from everyone, it varies based on the person and I am sure the underlying T levels matter too. But if you don't take it, you won't realize the effects, even if small.

The Mad Scientist
    Who would ever think we could ever be critically low on T.
    You learn something every day.
    That must have been really really really low.