Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pulled over en femme!

Silver Member
    You did the right thing. Fighting with him would have only made it worse. Going through a stop sign, he can claim a reason to ask if you have been drinking or under the influence. Right or wrong, in a court nothing he did could be seen as some sort of wrongdoing. Even if he was just being a jerk, he has his bases covered in this case. Since you ran a stop sign, he can claim it might have been because you were impaired by something, even if you were not.

I remember years ago I was pulled over (en drab) because I passed a cop with my high beams on. The first thing he asked was "Have you been drinking?" He said he though the reason I blinded him with my high beams was because I was impaired (I wasn't, I was tired and just forgot to do it in time.) Sure, I could have complained about being asked if I had been drinking, but it would have fallen on deaf ears anyway.

Wow, seriously, I didn't realise you guys had all sorts of stuff like that going on over there. Put's another view on "land of the free".

Being pulled over is always a stressful situation. It sounds like you handled the situation perfectly Tiffany. The questions the Trooper asked you are normal questions asked on any given traffic stop. How you answer is probably just, if not more important than what you said as an answer. You failed to mention the time of day or night, was the traffic light or heavy, was the area of your stop is an urban or rural area. All these are factors that may prompted the questions. The fact you were dressed 'en femme' may or may not had anything to do with his actions. I would imagine any PD in and around Columbia Mo have training on cultural diversity via their required training. The only two parts of your experience that caught my attention was when the Trooper stated he "thought" he smelled marijuana in the car. Your answer was effective because it was true. Any LE professional worth his salt would have recognized you were telling the truth. It seems he was and did recognize the truth. Being asked if you've been drinking is quite common. The other part was when he asked you to get out of your car and follow him to his car. Being asked out of the car is usually done when the officer is 1) in a dangerous position by standing on the edge of the road, or 2) indeed is planning on further investigation, i.e. a pat down, a search of the car, with consent, or thinking there is a possible arrest coming. Usually, the person is asked to stand behind their car in between the two vehicles. The license check probably came back clean and not really having any other markers, and if he valued his career, he had no choice but to write the citation and let you go.

We must remember, we entrust Law Enforcement to do those very things you experienced Tiffany so that they can capture the bad guys violating our laws, breaking the peace. For many, it's expected until they are the one under the red and blue lights, then they shout 'rights', "rights', and "rights'. How many times a person with an outstanding warrant is caught just because they ran a red light or, had a missing headlight. In turn, how many officers have lost their lives because they stop someone for speeding, running a red, missing headlight. The scariest and most dangerous thing anyone can do is walk up to a tinted window car, on a darken street or highway, alone, not knowing who or what will happen once that window is put down, if in fact, the window drops before they fire that gun. While the Trooper in your experience may have not been the most congenial, he did his job, did it thoroughly, and professionally, and hopefully, he will continue to do so.

Good Job, Dear.

Cassie

Silver Member
    I don't know where or what time the stop was, but the officer didn't do anything wrong. He can ask any reasonable question he wants to. You don't have to answer them. The marijuana statement and question is pretty standard. If he thought you had been drinking, asking you to walk back to his car gave him a chance to observe your movements. He could have asked you to stand in front of his car for all to see. He may have given you extra scrutiny based on where or when he stopped you. Remember he thought you were a woman when he stopped you. That means you are more passable than most CDs. He may have been intrigued or just didn't feel like walking back and forth from the squad car to your car while he verified your info. He must have felt safe with you because he let you into his car.

As for refusing a vehicle search it will get you a K9 search almost every time. If the dog alerts you will be detained most of the time. With so many people smoking pot today most all money has trace amounts of pot on it and a dog can alert on it and get you a search and ride.

I've never been pulled over while en Femme, however, I was pulled over a couple of weeks ago and it was the first time since I got my Carry permit and I was carrying. Very nervous when I handed over my DL and carry permit but he was cool about it, just asked if I was carrying and then where.

Reality Check
    From the trouper's point of view, there could be another reason you were dressed as a woman - disguising yourself to avoid detection or capture. A man dressed as a woman might be a wanted criminal on the run. He had to check on that possibility.

On crossdressing forums we are among like minded people but we have to remember that what we do is uncommon to those on the "outside".

Hi Tiffany, after reading your story I'm trying to determine what kind of citation he wrote. As a retired police officer from a major law enforcement agency I can honestly say that this officer went just a little to far. I am guessing that he gave you the citation for passing the stop sign. If you are considering filing a complaint I would think twice about it. Word gets around in "off the record" circles and you end up in a "meat grinder".

Molly
    "To thine own self be true"

Quote Originally Posted by DorothyElizabeth View Post
    Those who are quick to say you have certain rights, or that you should file a complaint should stop to consider - there are many ways that may or may not be strictly legal, that police can make your life miserable. In my experience, it is best to move very slowly when dealing with stinging insects.

I have been stopped several times, very late at night in Baltimore City, essentially for "driving while white". (That's what happens, if you are in "the wrong part of town". As a musician, I have often been where the dope deals and prostitution take place after about midnight, or so.)Whenever stopped by police, I am always prepared to get out of the car if requested. I have in the front of my mind, "take the key out of the ignition, and lock the door" If asked why you did that, state that it's just out of habit. If they ask if they may search the car, I ask that they provide a warrant. Other than that, I am completely cooperative and honest, but I do not volunteer information. Being a licensed professional engineer, I do not use illegal substances, and when playing music I never drink on the job.
    I would be VERY careful about requesting to see a warrant for a car search. "IF U HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE THEN U HIDE NOTHING"

Molly
    "To thine own self be true"

Thinks he smelled marijuana? Yeah. "Someone" is looking for a reason to search your car, and you should never allow that without a warrant. Never consent to a search without a warrant, no matter what they threaten you with. It's funny how things suddenly appear that you didn't have in your possession. It DOES happen, and if you live in one of those states where people do life in prison for one tiny leaf of marijuana, well...

~Melissa
    ~Linebacker Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Simmons View Post
    One reason why, whenever I go out dressed, I carry a fresh box of donuts with me in the car.
    You'll get pulled over a LOT with that sort of "bait"

Ask Gabriel Iglesias!

~Melissa
    ~Linebacker Melissa

Hi Tiffany so much advice on what can and cannot be done by Troopers, I having long hair all my life have been pulled over on numerous occasions and the questions asked are all legal and searches are legal all under the umbrella of "probable cause", I always co-operate and show respect, if you are doing nothing wrong and have nothing to hide than time is all you lost. I know in NJ all police forces have to take awareness classes on gender issues and the like.

Did you say shopping? Caden Lane's Avatar
    Even as a retired cop, I do not abide by the "If you have nothing to hide, then you hide nothing," argument. It's my car, my expectation of privacy; I know I do nothing which would give an officer cause for suspicion, I certainly try not to give them any reason to have probable cause. If neither of those things exist, he is merely asking because he wants to. If I refuse, which is my right, then the burden is on him. He can call a dog if he likes. I won't be making any snide remarks to agitate the situation. I will simply bide my time. And when they find nothing, then I'll be on my way. If they do anything egregious enough to warrant a complaint, then I'll file one. It's not your duty to hand over your rights because a police officer asks nicely. If he wants to make a case, he's gonna have to work his ass off or prove he's dirty to do it. Because I won't be making it easy on him.
    "These aren't 'women's clothes'. These are my clothes. I bought them with my own money."
    Eddie Izzard

I'm flipping genders, what's your super power?!?!

Please visit my wordpress blog: http://southerncrossdresser.wordpress.com

Daniella Argento
    Wow, we live in a comparative police state.
    Cops can, and do, pull you over and search for no reason. Random roadblocks are set up for this reason.
    We are advised to go along with all police and comply to avoid brutality. Good lawyers will get you off.
    For example, being in possession of certain drugs may be illegal, but taking the drugs (ie being in possession of the metabolite) is not illegal, provided you don't operate a vehicle. Yet the cops raid nightclubs and haul people off to be blood and urine tested. It proves nothing, but resisting just gets you a beating so we are advised to go with and call a lawyer when we get a chance. Sadly a lot of South Africans have no access to a lawyer, so our jails are full of petty criminals, some of whom have actually not committed a crime, whilst Oscar Pistorius and Shrien Dewani manipulate the system and either get off or are treated leniently...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanyselkoe View Post
    Last week while driving home, I inadvertently ran a stop sign. A state trooper happened to pull me over. On this occasion I was fully dressed with a fashionable long skirt, linen blouse, wedges, wig, makeup, the whole nine yards. When I gave the trooper my license and insurance, he looked at it, then at me and said "this is a male's license". I have always heard honesty is the best policy when dealing with law enforcement so I told him the truth, I'm a crossdresser. I wasn't really nervous at the time. It then began to get weird. The trooper stated he thought he smelled marijuana in the car and asked if I had been drinking. I told him I do not smoke at all nor had I had anything to drink at all that day. He asked me to come back to his vehicle while he looked up my license, which I did. There were further questions including, did I have anything in the car I shouldn't have, where had I been, where was I going to, where I worked, if I had any drugs or alcohol in the car. I did tell him I am an RN and don't drive after drinking or use marijuana as I would risk losing my license. During the whole proceeding I felt I was being singled out for the way I was dressed. When he could not find any further reason to detain me, the trooper gave me a citation and I was on my way. It was probably one of the strangest experiences I have had in quite a while.
    i have been stopped by police twice while in femme .on both occasions the officers were polite and curtious .they checked my license and gave me a warning for my offense and sent me on my way

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    The fact that you ran a stop sign and got pulled over for that gives the police the legal right to question you about other things. It was not a random stop.

Although cross dressing might no be a crime, most states have laws the make it a crime to conceal your true identity while committing a crime . He just wanted to make sure this was not the case.

Fact is, cops get suspicious when things are not how they are supposed to be and a man dressed completely as a woman is not the norm.
    Last edited by Barbara Jo; 01-30-2015 at 09:42 PM.

Cops often ask if they can search your vehicle. Respond with a question. "What are you looking for officer, and why would you expect to find it in my vehicle"? Or if you feel brave just say, "You know the rules. If you want to fish, get a license"! Being dressed en fem always puts us at a disadvantage, because we are nervous, and want to avoid any trouble. But a cop still needs probable cause to search your vehicle. I have no idea why they ask if you have anything in your vehicle that you are not supposed to have. Ask the cop for a list of prohibited items, so you can look it over and decide!

I got pulled over on IH35 at About 10.00 at night my ex would dress me then tell me to do embarassing things like walk to store buy gum and she woulg follow behind me and laugh i was so desperate to dress with some one i did it.any way when i got pulled over the policeman asked me to get out of car i had a real short white dress on pink panties stockings and heels makeup a wig i had to face the car while he searched the car i felt that all the cars on the highway were staring at me he put me in the front seat of his car said he was looking for any warrants.i knew i didnt have any so he offered me a cig wanted to know why i dressed this way i told him its what i like to do .he told me that i was lucky to not go to jail tonight i freaked out started saying please no no no he told me to calm down i was going home but i should think about where i go dresses i told him thanks for letting me go and that i would go straight home went and told my wife she laughed at me i didnt care i got to dressOH TO BE YOUNG AND SMALL AGAIN

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    Quote Originally Posted by MelanieAnne View Post
    Cops often ask if they can search your vehicle. Respond with a question. "What are you looking for officer, and why would you expect to find it in my vehicle"? Or if you feel brave just say, "You know the rules. If you want to fish, get a license"! Being dressed en fem always puts us at a disadvantage, because we are nervous, and want to avoid any trouble. But a cop still needs probable cause to search your vehicle. I have no idea why they ask if you have anything in your vehicle that you are not supposed to have. Ask the cop for a list of prohibited items, so you can look it over and decide!
    Actually, if there is no legal reason for then to search you car, by law , they have to ask for your permission to do so.
    The constitution prohibits an illegal search but if they get your permission they are free to search under the law.

Of course, they always try to stretch exactly what a legal reason to search is and/or con you, intimidated you into giving permission.
    So , if you act like you do not want them to search, they then say that you have suspicious behavior and it gives them legal grounds to search.

I first started driving in the '60s and have noticed a steady erosion of the police not respecting driver's constitutional rights.
    Last edited by Barbara Jo; 02-01-2015 at 12:10 AM.

Many years ago when I did some criminal defense work, I saw police officers, while testifying under oath in DUI cases, rattle off the tired old line that the defendant had a "strong odor of alcohol on his breath," that his eyes were bloodshot and that his speech was slurred - whether it was true or not seemed not to matter to the judges and the juries always seemed to accept it as gospel - after all, why would an officer lie? So now they create probable cause for a search of the vehicle (and your person) by stating that they smell marijuana. If they "find" a baggie in your vehicle during their search, what then? In 99 times out of 100, if it's your word against the officers of the peace, you lose.

Having those trial experiences (one of many reasons I stopped taking any criminal cases years and years ago - "They're all guilty, they're all broke and they expect miracles" as one lawyer put it) and having a niece whose ex husband was a local cop, a bully and a creep, my advice is to be polite and cooperative if you are stopped by the police for a traffic offense. And don't please don't drive if you have been drinking or indulging in proscribed substances - most especially if you are out en femme (that's what designated drivers and taxis are for after a night out on the town).
    Last edited by Jeninus; 02-01-2015 at 12:55 PM.
    Shame on those who think ill of us -- Translated and paraphrased from the motto of the United Kingdom's Most Noble Order of the Garter

Banned Read only
    I've been pulled over four times over the years for some minor infraction and in four different jurisdictions in my area. The only thing I was asked for was my license and proof of insurance. I'm sure the officers checked for warrants. At no time was I asked whether I was drinking or smoked weed. Any police officer has the ability to smell either. If you do not think either emits an odor, you just don't realize you emit such smells.

A family friend is a state patrol officer. He says, if he wants a reason to stop a vehicle, all he has to do is drive behind his target. Sooner or later the driver will do a minor infraction: illegal lane change, drifting, anything. Maybe, it's just around my locale that the police officers have better things to do than randomly harass drivers.

On the other hand I have seen police officers lie in court under oath and get caught by the judge. As a federal civil enforcement officer I have had it suggested to me "their case" would be stronger IF the defendant had said THIS rather than THAT.

The best course of action is to comply with reasonable requests and do not lie. And, do not offer information that is asked for.

Did you say shopping? Caden Lane's Avatar
    ... And if you are going to break the law, break as few as possible!

Usually if I pulled somebody over for one infraction, if it was minor enough, and they were polite, I'd issue a warning. But if obvious other charges started stacking up and/or they were rude, then my opinion was they bought and paid for them.
    "These aren't 'women's clothes'. These are my clothes. I bought them with my own money."
    Eddie Izzard

I'm flipping genders, what's your super power?!?!

Please visit my wordpress blog: http://southerncrossdresser.wordpress.com

If you consent to a search, anything they find can be used against you. If you refuse a search, and they search anyway, a lawyer can often get whatever they find thrown out, unless they can show clearly articulable probable cause for the search.
    Also, they can almost always get a dog to "alert". They walk the dog around the vehicle, then suddenly slap the fender startling the dog. Then they say the dog "alerted", and they go ahead and search. We really need smarter people on juries, instead of old seniors, unemployed people with nothing to do, and other disinterested people.

Sounds like that officer was a total douchecanoe, fishing for anything to give you a hard time :P

I too have been pulled over while en femme. On my way home from a Chi Chapter Meeting. I had completely forgot to turn my headlights on. With all the street lights on I thought my headlights were on. So I got pulled over on the interstate by a State Cop. Really nice officer that addressed me as Mam asked for my license and insurance. He was probably very surprised when he saw my Drivers license. Anyways he gave me a warning and I continued on home. Yes it was nerve wrecking at first when the officer initially pulled me over.

Reality Check
    It's very easy to advise someone on an Internet forum to resist a law enforcement officer, to refuse to answer questions, refuse to allow a search of the vehicle, etc. but the person giving this advice has no stake in the outcome, he or she is sitting safely at home behind a keyboard.

The officer can make things difficult for you if he or she wants to. Common sense would tell us to be as cooperative as possible with a person who has the ability to make things very difficult for you. The police are out there protecting us from criminals and from unsafe drivers. If you are neither, they are on your side.