Thread: Music Videos making an impression?

Music Videos making an impression?

I found myself watching a string of old music videos from the 80's on youtube. As I am in my late 30's, that was my impressionable youth years. I saw some videos I hadn't seen in a looong time. My SO and I joked about them, and I got to wondering if some of these where part of the start of my CD interest.

One example of what I am talking about is ZZ Top's 'Legs'. Watching the girl get taken away and given a complete clothing and makeup makeover, and then gaining confidence and power from it. Made me think.

Anyone agree? Have examples of music videos that had a possible similar effect?

Jessica BF

LOL Jessica WOW does that video take me back. When MTV actually played music videos............you just made my morning.
    OK really was never big on the 70"s style but yes I get what you are saying. Looking back now I think I can relate remember the song Video killed the radio star? ya kinda wanted to be the girl in the tube.
    Thanks for giving me a smile
    Victoria D
    When I am still and quiet, people who do not know me think, Oh how cute she's shy.
    People who do know me think, OMG RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola

Hey Jessica

Yeah I think there is a great deal of truth in what your saying.
    When you think of that time in the late 70s and through the 80s we had "New Romanticism" and all that make-up and men pretty much cross-dressing.
    The line were blurred and people weren't that bothered and it was all about fashion and looking like a dandy

Oh yeah!

As an already very heavily, self-confessed lover of all things 80s and 90s, there are probably too many to mention... but did it start me off? No - I'm afraid that was well before the advent of the music vid... and almost certainly before MTV as well... I have no doubt the fashions of that time were still influential during an active dating period...

But go back a little while before and our once-weekly MTV equivalent was a show that featured these lovelies who had a different costume every week... Yes, 'Pan's People' for the Brits who remember... Were they influential? Without a doubt - big hair and long legs.... still trying to emulate that today... somewhat sad really...

Come to think of it, how did they get away with this on prime time TV..??? I suppose it was seen as art...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Thats great Katey! So they just had them dance for several minutes once a week? I'll have to dig up more of these pan's people. Maybe my SO and I can dance together when I'm dressed.
    Jessica BF

What I remember most of 80's music in relation to my CDing are the American glam metal bands that were huge in those days. I had just taken my first steps into dressing by "borrowing" my mothers clothes when I saw bands like Motley Crue, Ratt and Poison on MTV. They all looked like crossdressers to me with their outrageous outfits, big hair and makeup. Especially Poison took it to the extreme and they were the reason for me to try on makeup for the first time. I looked silly as can be but it was a start!

So yeah, I definitely think music videos are an inspiration to us CDers

Well, for me, these two immediately spring to mind...

Robert Palmer's "Addicted to Love" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcATvu5f9vE

And Shania Twain's follow up spoof/parody of a few years later named - appropriately enough - "Man, I Feel Like a Woman" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJL4UGSbeFg

Nice segue into a crossdressing-themed song and video between the two...

Wow jessica,
    thanks for that blast from the past!
    I would post more here but youtube is calling we back to the mtv days! LOL!!!
    Tonya Rose This is me! (song by camp rock)

The Bangles, Hazy Shade of Winter...I so crushed on Susanna Hoffs, and then I figured out I wanted to look like her too!

Most definitely! I was big into the 80's music scene growing up. Loved everything about it. The best album cover ever lol

poison.jpg

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    YES!!!!!!!! I think that zz top Legs video had some influence on me......I did the same thing recently and wondered myself....and watched the ZZTop video , make perfect sense to me . xoxo.... Like A Virgin made me tingle too .

I love music videos. There were times I watched some videos and felt crushes on the singers/dancers, I think secretly some of it was the love of their outfits but as this was before i was crossdressing i don't know for sure anymore.
    -kat
    "There's a she wolf in the closet, open up and set her free" - shakira

I was into dressing long before the music video, music based films only inflamed my desire to look as good as the other girls.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Aspiring Member
    Back in 2011, I found this (and I was superbly late to the party). I guess it's more than the clothes, even though I did end up gushing over the singer's dresses and appearance for hours before 'the feels', and for that matter anything else, hit me.

Billy Idol - Cradle Of Love: http://youtu.be/NCZuYS-9qaw

This one had left a lasting impression on me. I really wanted to look like her.

Also, Anything from The Go Go's

Mel
    Last edited by Melody A; 02-20-2015 at 01:41 PM.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    - Dr. Seuss

Iris,

Good to see you have found something by Within Temptation. They are a Dutch band and arguably the best one in my country. Check out some of their other videos, especially the song Paradise.