Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does suppression of cross dressing desires lead to anger

In my experience it makes sense, but it applies to everything. Sometimes you need to let out some "anger" and not being nice all the time.
    I'm mostly happy all the time so sometimes it's good to let stuff out, so yeah, I guess it applies to everything in life that you suppress

Aspiring Member
    In part because it takes a LOT to anger me, I've never actually experienced this to a level of annoyance yet. Not the least where discipline has been on a high pedestal since young, and most outward expressions of negative emotion are less-than-permitted. While I do agree that getting cheesed off at anything is ultimately a choice, repressed anger has its own repercussions (from carrying the burden). Over the past 8 years since I first CDed, there was always a nagging want to cross-dress, but nothing too hard on me when I never got to; it was always one of the highest privileges to me rather than anything remotely resembling an entitlement. But because of the theory of deferred gratification - 2 marshmallows later or 1 now - I always came back for more at each denied opportunity, as though I inherently deserved the additional gratification.

@DorothyElizabeth: Not you too! Playing music alone (especially drums) lacks a certain 'kick' that playing in a band does, and especially when the entire band plays tightly.

I suppressed (or at least tried to) my desire to dress for many, many years. I'm now at the point realizing that CD'ing is a part of me and I need to release my desires in a healthy way and just do it. Anger, frustration, denial, and depression all come with suppression. My sexual urges conflict my point of view often times, and that tends to be the root of the problem. I feel like I'm not normal - but hopefully I can begin to accept it as time goes on....

Crossdressing actually makes me feel so relaxed and peaceful... so it could be that suppressing the desire has a backlash effect... To illustrate how peaceful it makes me feel. I came home today with the flat roof leaking. I cleaned the mess up, went up to the roof and fixed it, being all male and pissed up! Then once in my pretty skirt and heels all the stress and negativity vanished! It was like "whatever"... this doesn't concern Michelle. I strongly believe crossdressing can be therapeutic. By the way, I am less of a pig when I eat as Michelle than as Mike, I suddenly bgin to grow good, delicate manners, lol. Sounds familiar?

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    Not directly, no. But to the extent that one chooses to respond to any source of frustration with anger, then it is a contributing factor. Note the intermediate step....choice. I speak from personal experience. When confronted with frustrating circumstances I all too often responded with anger. Then, gradually with the help of a therapist, I learned that such responses are always...ALWAYS... a matter of choice.

Frustration, deferred gratification, difficult choices, disappointments and defeats are part of life. Anger may be a commonly chosen response, but it's the least effective choice.
    Well said Kim. It is so very difficult to deny something that is part of your personality. Regardless of what the driver of the frustration is, anger is the easiest reponse and we can go there until we understand we have or can develop other options for better responses.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Some people are always looking for something to blame their bad behavior on.

I have an anger issue that began before I discovered dressing. But I figure that it was a matter of not fitting in with most of my friends, and the frustration caused from that. So now I realize that I was always somehow different than the other guys, i.e. more feminine, a trait that keeps me in soft nylon underclothes now. And I do get a release from frustration by wearing my girl clothes, without the necessity of anger.

I have some anger issues, on the normal side, if i stub my toe or something ill lash out but on the extreme side i find i try to put everything else and everyone else who im not friends with down around me. thinking of it now it might be a way to cover for myself, ill often say to the guys while out drinking that another guy there is wearing skinny jeans and clearly must be gay, or if one of my friends wears a scarf ill call him a homo, basically anything that i think doesnt meet the criteria of macho manly yet hypocritically ill be staring at a girls shoes or dress and wish i could compliment them or ask where she got them.

Its not easy being so torn in the middle but as im trying to find myself and accept who i am im also discovering how easy it is to be considerate of others and more tolerant of other peoples varieties and differences. Im just hoping its not too late as im often referred to as the ''angry/aggressive/judgemental'' one of the group, which obviously is complete hypocrisy but I also feel that having that rep has put me in a hole that I wont be able to climb back out of

Just wanted to add in at the bottom here that im not homophobic, I realised how that might look up above, the only two friends who know about me both came out as gay and became a couple
    Last edited by Sarah-RT; 02-23-2015 at 03:49 PM.
    I cant stand to fly, I'm not that naive. I'm just out to find the better part of me. I'm more than a bird, I'm more than a plane, I'm more than some pretty face beside a train. Its not easy to be me.

Anger , depression , mood swings....but since my wife knows and supports me...and recognizes the fact that I am calmer , easier to get along with and an all around better person...I am definitely living proof.

Quote Originally Posted by APA Anger Management - Why Are Some People More Angry Than Others?
    According to Jerry Deffenbacher, PhD, a psychologist who specializes in anger management, some people really are more "hotheaded" than others are; they get angry more easily and more intensely than the average person does. There are also those who don't show their anger in loud spectacular ways but are chronically irritable and grumpy. Easily angered people don't always curse and throw things; sometimes they withdraw socially, sulk, or get physically ill.

People who are easily angered generally have what some psychologists call a low tolerance for frustration, meaning simply that they feel that they should not have to be subjected to frustration, inconvenience, or annoyance. They can't take things in stride, and they're particularly infuriated if the situation seems somehow unjust: for example, being corrected for a minor mistake.

What makes these people this way? A number of things. One cause may be genetic or physiological: There is evidence that some children are born irritable, touchy, and easily angered, and that these signs are present from a very early age. Another may be sociocultural. Anger is often regarded as negative; we're taught that it's all right to express anxiety, depression, or other emotions but not to express anger. As a result, we don't learn how to handle it or channel it constructively.

Research has also found that family background plays a role. Typically, people who are easily angered come from families that are disruptive, chaotic, or not skilled at emotional communications.''

This sounds so like me, i remember as a child id break my own toys and stuff if something annoyed me. my mam likes to tell me that when i was quite small my sister got invited to a birthday party and my mom bought a barbie doll as the gift but because i couldnt go i ripped the head of the doll so that my sister couldnt go either, sounds funny but it links up.
    I cant stand to fly, I'm not that naive. I'm just out to find the better part of me. I'm more than a bird, I'm more than a plane, I'm more than some pretty face beside a train. Its not easy to be me.

I find that when I suppress Jessica, I tend to get very thin-skinned.... I get edgier and edgier, until I just let her consume my identity. fem-mode takes over, and the world just seems right again! I hate hiding her, but my friends and family..... they just wouldn't accept it!! so I live two lives.

I believe suppression can manifest itself in many, many different ways. Anger is only one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah-RT View Post
    This sounds so like me, i remember as a child id break my own toys and stuff if something annoyed me. my mam likes to tell me that when i was quite small my sister got invited to a birthday party and my mom bought a barbie doll as the gift but because i couldnt go i ripped the head of the doll so that my sister couldnt go either, sounds funny but it links up.
    If you're still experiencing issues with anger, there are anger management classes that might help. I's OK to act out on anger if it makes you feel better, but it's not OK to hurt someone else (or their things) in the process. People who allow their anger to regurgitate over others maybe don't realize how they are hurting others by doing so and to me this seems self-centered. Maybe they secretly blame others for their misfortunes and this is why they don't try to channel their anger in more appropriate ways? My ex was an angry man and it caused a lot of stress and anxiety among my kids and I. Honestly, I think it's a form of control. The person who doesn't channel his anger appropriately is exercising a form of payback so that everyone else suffers too.

The year I lost custody of my child, I would often scream as loud as I could until I was spent, which was possible where I used to live because the neighbors were completely out of earshot. And I would pummel pillows as hard as I could with my fists. But it would have been no good had there been anyone in the house who was aware that I was doing this, they would have been worried and maybe scared.
    Reine

Suppression of anything causes energy to come out in other ways, depending on the personality type.

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    I've had anger/authority issues my whole life, and it seems - 6 months is still early days to say - that since embracing Nikki last summer, that I am a better balanced, less volatile, kinder person when my femme side is allowed to be more fully expressed.
    I used to have a short attention spa

Banned Read only
    Rarely, very rarely actually, is my demeanor one of bare anger. Typically it isn't very close to the surface for me. Mostly I'm low key and pretty calm about things. Instead of anger, extended periods of suppression (or just general life frustration) tend to result in the social withdrawal construct mentioned earlier. On those occasions when I do get to anger, it is quick, loud and of short duration. Fortunately I get to dress often enough that it isn't a problem. However, I do notice that the desire is somwhat stronger to dress now than it was 6-8 years ago.

With opportunity comes familiarity..

DeeAnn

It definitely used to manifest itself as anger as well as other emotions.
    I identify as Trans however I have yet to begun the process of transitioning or living full time, mostly for stuff out of my control. Suppressing those feelings does lead to what I call 'Trans blues'. Feeling down and frustrated at my current situation. I was definitely far 'angrier' when I was still discovering myself however since coming to terms (for lack of a better word) with who I am it has calmed a little. It's like other people aren't seeing you as the way you see yourself and it can get frustrating.
    www.transpottingtalk.blogspot.co.uk < My lovely blog all about Trans issues and stuff
    Follow me on Twitter @Charlottewbuzz

I don't think it causes anger. My theory is this: think of a computer, with a cpu and memory. Working on any problem requires a percentage of memory and cpu usage. Doing things in the background such as video bits passing through the motherboard may be just a little, but it exists, always being done whether you are doing anything or not. The more you subconsciously want to crossdress, the more 'work' is being used to suppress it by your brain. If you add in other things to deal with in life, you can quickly use up all your available 'cpu' and memory availability, and then begin to have too much for your mind to process, and you get irritated because it's too much to deal with all at once. Then you only need ONE MORE DAMNED THING to push you over the edge, and bingo! Anger erupts.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.