Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Methods for Protecting yourself when out dressed

Methods for Protecting yourself when out dressed

Hello all,

A post from Isha has gotten me thinking of how we can protect ourselves from aggressive, anti-trans people. Whenever I go out, I'm usually with another person (but not always). I know some tips out there would be to travel with someone (especially at night), letting friends know where you are or where you are going, and stay in well-lit areas. My questions for the community would be, What do you do to protect yourself from anti-trans people? What other tips would you add to the list? Where do you feel the most safe going to when dressing? Stay safe everyone!
    Last edited by Katey888; 02-22-2015 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Removed prohibited content

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    I don't do anything different while dressed as a guy or a girl. I don't walk the streets in unknown neighborhoods at night. I don't flash large amounts of cash around. I hold my head up and keep a watch on others around me.

The way I see it is that unfortunately occasional s__t happens. In Isha's incident, even if she had pepper spray in her purse, it would not have helped from being attacked while her back was turned. I have been the victim of a variety of crimes, and none of them happened while dressed as a girl.

Members...

Given the extremely unfortunate and relatively unusual circumstance of someone from the forum being badly, physically assaulted recently, I'm sure this is a topic many of you would like to discuss and share tips and thoughts on how to be out and about safely...

BUT... I would remind you all of what are prohibited subjects on the forum and WILL be DELETED - two subjects in particular:

Guns/weapons, using, buying etc.
    • Use/sale of illicit drugs and drug paraphernalia or condoning any other illegal activity.
    'Weapons' means ALL weapons: edged, blunt, concealed, stealth, chemical, electrical and firearms.

Please don't try to evade this with inferences or code or the thread will be closed.
    Too many rule violations and the thread will be closed.

Thanks all.
    Katey

I would say common sense is the main thing, and listen to your inner voice, so to speak. If you feel uneasy about it, chances are it would be a good idea to avoid the place or situation. I think learning to defend yourself cant hurt either. Be smart, stay safe, and always pay attention to whats going on around you.

perhaps we can mention a link to self-defense sites?
    perhaps many of us do need to learn some basic self-defense for when out dressed?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

I am dubious about the value of a self-defence course. Isha was in Canadian Special Forces and knew that she couldn't defend against three attackers, although I am sure that one-on-one she was more than a match for an attacker - even in heels.
    Last edited by Jeninus; 02-22-2015 at 01:20 PM.
    Shame on those who think ill of us -- Translated and paraphrased from the motto of the United Kingdom's Most Noble Order of the Garter

In my opinion the best defense is to always be aware of your surroundings and who is around, plus always have an escape route. This works even when not en femme.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I again defer to the words of wisdom by that sage, Rodney King: " why can't we all just get along? ". Simple words to live by, difficult challenges for those filled with hate.

hope this is OK....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNJwxJXr2jc

a shot to the throat even, if they are trying to catch theyre breath they are giving time to get away....
    but any of these only work when the odds are in your favor.....
    Last edited by mykell; 02-22-2015 at 01:53 PM. Reason: tweak
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine Spirit View Post
    I don't do anything different while dressed as a guy or a girl. ...

THIS !!!

And that includes thinking one can out walk thugs tailing you to your car. Three on one is a losing proposition whether you have heels on or not. Clearly no one would ever expect these thugs to beat you, but one can better their odds by walking to a main street or pre-dial 911 and put them on speaker.

Practioner of Shorin Ryu for 35+ years. Billie Jean

I am taking martial arts because I go out as a woman. I told my instructor this when I signed up. She has never mentioned it since.

Even so, my main focus is trying to blend in. If you are commited to going out, the best defense is to not get noticed at all.

Keep your head up and be confident. They are more likely to go after someone who shows a sign of weakness.

My instructors offer free self defense classes for women's groups. If a local martial arts school does this, you might be able to take one of these if you explain the situation. If you are confident enough to go out, you can tell a potential teacher about your dressing.

Pick and choose where you go carefully. You can face a confrontation anywhere, but you can lower the odds by staying out of areas you are unfamiliar with.

Go out during the day. You have a better chance of seeing potential trouble makers in the daylight. There is also a better chance of having help at 2PM than at 2AM. Nothing good happens after midnight. That's an old saying.

When leaving a "safe" location, going to your car, have your keys ready. If possible, carry whatever you have in your weaker hand.

If you even suspect possible trouble, go back inside whatever location you are leaving. I would bet a place like walmart would be glad to have an employee help you out to your car if you need it. At any rate, it wouldn't hurt to ask. Park as close to the building as you can (don't take the handicap spot, but you know that.)

Maybe try to leave when other people are leaving, they are less likely to do anything violent with potential defenders/trial witnesses are present.

Don't take your eyes off of someone who has shown hostility. Isha's story is an unfortunate example of this.

Go out with friends if possible.

I hate to say this...but....wear practical shoes when alone. If you can't outrun them in heels, maybe wear flats.

If you are going to fight back, kick them in the knee, some men turn into the hulk when kicked in the groin.

I don't know, but if it's a place that has security cameras in the parking lot, maybe remind them they are on film that could identify them.

Everyone is a potential victim, not just crossdressers. Be careful regardless of how you are dressed and where you are.

When dressed I stay in well lit and populated areas.
    Mostly shopping malls and places of entertainment.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Gone to live my life
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    THIS !!!

And that includes thinking one can out walk thugs tailing you to your car. Three on one is a losing proposition whether you have heels on or not. Clearly no one would ever expect these thugs to beat you, but one can better their odds by walking to a main street or pre-dial 911 and put them on speaker.
    Granted . . . unfortunately, I had nowhere else to go as I was already committed to the parking lot and my car. It was in a main, well lit area but was also Sunday so very little foot traffic. Pre-dialed 911 would have been helpful but I never even had time to get a phone out. My mistake was turning my back to a potential threat and for that I feel completely stupid (should have known better). However, in the end three to one odds . . . I can handle myself but it is not like the movies and I most likely would have taken a beat down regardless.

Isha

in 1979 in a city bar in England (with a friend, both men dressed as men), having drunk a lot, I became aware of a group of men - 7 or 8 - who took a bad-vibe interest in us. I told my friend we were leaving, I had to push him, and we left, and sure enough the group followed. We ran for miles before we lost them. That was young and fit, and in the days before cellphones. Sure we were aware, but we were targeted for being different - in the wrong pub at the wrong time, we drew attention to ourselves.

I have 3 times been the target of pickpockets. Each time I have foiled the attempt. The last time, I predicted an attack, and my friend simply swayed out of the way of the attacker, causing the attacker to fall-over - as they expected to bump into him.

Camouflage, blending, being less obvious, avoiding attraction, being hyper-aware, these are necessary in modern cities, whether we are dressed or not.

On the other hand, I've been ripped off quite a few times in business ... guess we have to be aware all the time!

PS I just remember a time being stalked late at night in Barcelona (Spain), by a similarly large guy, total psycho. He "marked" me and trailed on the metro. I was with a friend but anything would have been no contest, I could tell. I stalled leaving the station, if I'd continued out i'd have bumped into him, giving him cause to attack. It was all about awareness and avoiding the giving of an excuse for the person(s) to take offense.
    Last edited by pamela7; 02-22-2015 at 02:50 PM. Reason: ps
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    Pick your venues, go out with friends, stay alert, make friends with the "security" guy and the owner of places you go to.

0 to trans in 60 seconds! Donnagirl's Avatar
    Hi all,

If I may add my 2 cents...

Firstly, don't believe TV.. If there is more than one assailant, the best skills are not enough.

Bad guys also do martial arts... Don't be fooled by self confidence.

If you've never been in a fight it's a mass of adrenalin, panic and levels of fear, generally over before you even realise it's started.. To be effective we train endlessly so actions rely on muscle memory and not conscious thought.

I doubt heels would give me the contact with the ground required to deliver an effective strike...

Sprays don't work on every one..

Drunk or drugged assailants can be difficult to subdue even with overwhelming weight of numbers!!! One on one even the best of skill can be ineffective...

Your best option is not to place yourself in the situation to start with, risk assessment, reconnoissance and planning... If you are cornered eye contact, talk, talk, talk... Conflict de-escalation is the training I'd recommend.

Shout loudly, scream for help if need be... I would!!!

I only hope no one ever finds themselves in a bad situation... None of us are Uma Thuman, wish I could rock a yellow and black jumpsuit like that though!!!

Hugs,

Donna
    Call me Donna, please

The best advice I can give is this:
    READ THE STREET!
    Know who is there (even with general impressions), watch how they behave, look for danger signs (too many in a group or only men [although young women are starting to take up this kind of behavior, it is much less likely]), watch for guys hanging out on corners (especially liquor stores), look up for shoes hanging from overhead wires (indicates local drug traffic), and keep checking; if anything looks at all out of place, cross the street at the corner (if they are too close, immediately!; it is harder to chase someone who is moving away). Try not to be obvious about this, but do it! You are far more likely to avoid trouble if you remember. you're a timid mouse, not a brave tiger!
    The time to be a tiger is when physical danger is imminent, but give the impression of not revealing anything and that they are playing into your hands; don't volunteer anything and be polite, but don't raise your voice; this telegraphs panic and will likely trigger an attack. What you want is a bit of mystery If they don't know what you're capable of, they may not want to find out. Use any confusion and indecision on their part to extract yourself from the situation; don't run but move away as quickly as you can with dignity. They will try for an easier target. One thing to remember is that these scuzballs are essentially lazy and will back off if it seems difficult to them. Use it!
    I have lived in tough parts of a tough town for most of my life and these tactics have kept me pretty safe for better than 40 years. They are not 100% effective; nothing is, but I will say that the only times I got in trouble was when I ignored them.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Gone to live my life
    Hi Folks,

Please do not think the world is a crazy place full of people wishing to harm us. Yes there are haters and there always will be. Hypervigilance is fine but not to the degree where you look like the might gazelle on the Serengeti amongst a pride of lions. The best defense is to be aware of your surroundings and yes stay away from bad parts of town and dark alleys. I made one fatal mistake (I turned my back to a potential threat) and I should have known better but I can "what if" this to death and still come out no further ahead. Nobody should be made to feel as though they are the cause of their own attack . . . in the world even the best laid plans can go south very easily regardless of any precautions you take.

Regarding taking three people on at once . . . well this is not the movies and even though some may have martial arts training, let's just say I have been engaged in several altercations (non-TG related) and my training served no real purpose when the odds are not even as you cannot track more than one person at a time and someone will always get the best of you with uneven odds. As many have said the best defense is caution and knowing your surroundings but in the end if something should happen . . . it is not your fault but the ones who hate.

Hugs

Isha

Carry a loud whistle and use it at the first sign of trouble. Also, all the things we're not allowed to talk about.

All great advice. I didn't mean for this to be a discussion about Isha herself but rather what people going out should be aware of if going out. Probably knowing the area and being well-prepared is a big part of staying safe.

My previous life experience tells me that "all the things we're not allowed to talk about" are pretty useless in these situations. It doesn't matter if you're a kung-fu master or master marksman if you're a civilized person dealing with sociopaths. Sociopaths have no restraint; no remorse. The best defense is avoidance and that's been pretty clearly spelt out already.

Banned Read only
    There are individuals and groups out there who prey upon those displaying or projecting and sort of unease....fear, anxiety, depression, confusion, panic, disorientation etc. in your body language, voice and such. The primary defense against predators is a well grounded shield of confidence. There are others. I don't know whether they all work. I do know that I don't want to find out if they're not working.
    I have deer whistles on my car. I don't know if they work. But in my area I've seen dead moose, deer, fox and coyote along the road and I've never hit a one.
    Sorry Isha, but I do not believe that you can be "over prepared."
    One book I have had on my bathroom reading rack for thirty years is called "Defendo, The Total Self-Defense System"
    ISBN0-7715-9758-4
    The greatest thing about this book is the first part is dedicated to reading and avoiding situations where you will need the serious and easily learned physical techniques in part two, which starts with simple pinches and finger twists and ends with deflecting a gun from your forehead.
    I am sure there are other manuals and you can take various courses in basic self defense.
    I think aikido would be helpful as it uses your assailant's energy against him.
    Thanks to Google you can visit most shopping centres, theatres and many outdoors areas on line. You can learn where the washrooms, security stations and such are. The exits, the parking closest to the store or salon, and even the insides of these places, restaurants and cafes. And using *69 and calling ahead to find out an establishment's policy on crossdressers works.
    It has been helpful when I've scouted the venue in advance in male mode.
    I've yet to go out in 2015, but I'm thinking of making a diary to record what works and what fails on my outings.
    But like I said, better foreknowledge of your destination and being confident your defensive abilities will give you that shield of confidence, in male or femme.
    This knowledge and confidence will allow your beauty to shine through
    Last edited by ophelia; 02-23-2015 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Isha View Post
    Nobody should be made to feel as though they are the cause of their own attack
    This is interesting point because it seems that when any GG is sexually harassed/assaulted or raped, there always seems to be the questions like "Why were you there?" or "Well what were you wearing?" The simple fact is that she was attacked simply for being a woman, like Isha was attacked simply for being TG. It's such an unfortunate thing that we live in a world where you can be assaulted just for existing and it makes me so sad.
    I got that good girl faith and a tight little skirt.
    ~Kristina~

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Keeping yourself protected by any means legal should always be a consideration.