Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Methods for Protecting yourself when out dressed

Hey gang,

I haven't been around for a bit and I started this thread based on what happened to Isha. These things are reality and go hand in hand with what we do if we're out in public. I was also talking to AllieSF about this situation last week and it got me thinking although there is nothing you can do if someone hits you from behind, you're probably going to go down and have to do what you can to scramble away. However if you are interested in practicing martial arts for the streets then here is my opinion for the best forms to practice against an attack:

1. Kali or AKA Escrima fighting - Filipino martial arts, you learn how to turn anything and everything into a weapon from a cell phone, pen, purse. you name it.

2. Jeet Kune Do - this has been the best I have ever seen. It was developed to defend against multiple attackers with using the least amount of energy.

If you can master the above 2 martial arts together then the practitioner is well versed for the streets. If you can't take or find a school that teaches Jeet Kune Do then try Krav Maga it is good and simple but Jeet Kune Do is better once the practitioner masters the concepts.
    I have seen teachers that weigh 140 lbs that are very lethal in these martial arts.

Once you learn the aforementioned then I suggest you dabble in

1. Judo - learn all you're take downs and foot sweeps.

2. Western Boxing - this teaches you to bob and weave in and out of punches

3. A bit of Karate - this teaches you to hit targets a high speed. Learn how to front kick, side kick and mule kick. Also learn how to move in and out real fast but stay away from the traditional patterns. They are a waste of time.

The following forms I would not use as a base are:

1. Traditional Muy Tai - I don't believe this is good for the street but still better than nothing

2. Tae Kwon Do - stay away from this one

3. Traditional Karate - as I said its good to learn the speed, movement and distance to targets but you do not want to be trying a tornado kick in the streets. Don't spend too much time with it.

3. Brazillian Ju Jit SU - stay away form because you want to stay standing.

Use Jeet Kune Do and Escrima fighting for your base or hub is my opinion. you are using open hands to fight with and you striking points are different from all the other forms!

I am always concerned about having an incident like Isha experienced. I enjoy going to clubs that feature impersonators and are friendly to CDers. Also, I am always alone. These establishments are not in the best parts of town and the shows start late. The one thing that I do is to be aware and to follow my instincts.

Basically follow the same rules that any woman would when you go out.
    Don't go somewhere sketchy, be it day or night. Don't go alone if you don't have to...safety in numbers.
    Remember it's not easy to run in heels and a tight skirt.

If you encounter those that are anti-us ... best to avoid the confrontation and live to fight another day.
    Last edited by Katey888; 02-23-2015 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Prohibited content removed
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Speaking from experience, during my salad days in the service, I was with a few of my buddies having a good time in the Philippines.
    In the downtown zone near the base, we took one of our regular shortcuts behind the main streets down a dark alley.
    We were immediately surrounded by 6 bandits, they were blocking our path. One of them leapt in front of us and executed a traditional Kung Fu challenge.
    Prior to enlisting a had studied Kung Fu and with no hesitation I jumped out and answered his challenge, and locked eyes with him. I was ready for combat and he saw that.
    There was a moment of silence as both groups watched and waited for our combat to begin, however we both backed down and bowed and stepped back.
    We went on our way, but I continued to watch them walking away from us. I was focused and ready for their possible counter attack.
    No one noticed the small coins in my hand to be used as a distraction tactic aka 'bullets' into the face.

My pals were astonished as no one knew that I was up to something like that. And back then I weighed in at 130 lbs. soaking wet.
    They said it was like being in a movie scene. Back on the ship the story got out and I ended up giving a few street defense lessons.

My dad used to tell me to go after the leader when confronted by a group.
    If you can intimidate their leader, you stand a better chance of avoiding a fight.
    I grew up in a gang infested suburb, so running into small bands of wannabe gangbangers was common. If I couldn't avoid them, at least I knew how to deal with them.

I keep those tactics fresh no matter how I'm presenting. Most of all I keep to the safe areas when out and about.
    Last edited by Katey888; 02-23-2015 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Prohibited content removed
    "Missed it by that much!"

I'm a lover not a fighter, I'll have to rely on the protection of numbers by usually being out with my wife and friends, on my well-honed urban trouble-avoiding instincts, and as a last resort if cornered, what donnagirl said, talk my way out if it, or try to. In my 68 years, talk and occasionally yelling has always been my best defense.

Time...!

Thanks to everyone who has made a thoughtful contribution to this subject.

I suspect we have exhausted any non-contentious ideas that might stay within the rules - and everyone who's pushed the envelope otherwise has made this subject just too high maintenance for moderation.

Let's just get back to the more regular topics now, shall we? And hope and pray that we go a fair while before any other members become the victim of a statistical hate crime.

Thread closed.

Katey