Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mirrors vs. Photos

Silver Member
    There have been studies done about this. The answer is the difference between a reversed image in a mirror and a photo. It is not unique to CDs. The brain is used to seeing you one way and has trouble with the photo. They did it on men and women and the results were basically the same.

Banned Read only
    A correctly lit photograph will win every time ! Providing you stay away from using your camera/phone, it will give a unflattering foreshortened view ! Try and use a camera with it zoomed to it's longer setting and shoot at eye level for a close up and waist height for a full length ! I made a living from it and it's the basic rules to flatter people !

Liz is also correct in the reversed image comment, so you do see yourself as slightly different !
    Last edited by Teresa; 02-25-2015 at 01:54 AM.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Cindy,

It really depends. I have taken some pictures of myself and think . . . Whoa "that is one ugly old dude in make-up" and other times . . . "not bad". I have also taken a gander in the mirror and thought "not bad" only to pass by another mirror and see that "ugly old dude" in make-up again. For me, I think a lot of it comes down to angle and lighting not so much the media.

Hugs

Isha

Platinum Member
    Hi Cindy, The mirror is a reverse negative image and a photo is a positive image.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    From time to time both the mirror and camera are kind.

This was one of those times.

me2.JPG
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

The non-GG next door.... Candice Mae's Avatar
    One thing that I find ruins pictures is weird poses, unless you have a small body and shoulders it is usually unflattering. Or it looks like you just put your back out...

I'm not sure if it is true, but I think of photo as closer to what others see. However, you can use lighting and camera setting to drastically alter the look of a photo.
    I think it would be a fun fem experience to have an actual photo shoot. ;-)

There have been times when the lighting was just right and I was in a flattering pose just as the timer ran out. In general, though, I believe that the mirror captures the look I strive for better than a camera does. Of course, it could be that I am tricking my mind into seeing what I want to see and not what is really there.

A mirror or photo will show a huge man wearing clothes typically worn by a girl who weighs about 110 pounds. Which is why I don't take pictures, and don't look in mirrors. No lighting situation will help; I would need to be in a coal mine, in the middle of the night, with no lighting, during a blackout, and a total eclipse.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Aspiring drama queen Isabella Ross's Avatar
    Carla, love that photo. The reality is that good photos require skill and patience. People are snap happy these days with smartphones, etc. Well, the result are snapshots. Photos require better equipment and some basic understanding of theory and technique. And yes, some GG models are naturals (some TG as well, for that matter), but the bottom line is that models are professionals who work hard on perfecting their craft and creating a beautiful subject out of themselves.

Definitely mirror. I don't have a great figure and certain angles are clearly more much more flattering for me than others and it's much easier for me to get view correct in a mirror than in a picture.

Part of the reason we don't "see" ourselves in a photo as in a mirror is due to the fact that the optic quality of the cameras most people use is abysmal. Cell Phone cameras have gotten better since the introduction of the later models of the iPhone, but not better enough. If you want to take good pictures of yourself, you need a good point and shoot or SLR with an optical zoom of at least 4X, a remote control, a tripod, and a place where you can set up a neutral backdrop. Nikon, Olympus, Canon are good brand names, but be sure to check to see if you are getting glass or plastic lenses. You need to shoot closeups with a high zoom to avoid the "big nose" look. And, learn how to use at least the basic picture editing tools available on something as rudimentary as Windows Picture Manager. We humans have this thing called a brain, and even tho' we don't use it all the time, it's optic sensors are always working to correct the images that it delivers to our consciousness. Cameras don't have any such device, and that's why brightness, contrast, color tone, cropping, et cetera are helpful. Also, if you want to look natural, you can use the computer computer to mirror reverse the images so you'll look like yourself to yourself.