Thread: Well hello there! :)

a beautiful metalhead JessicaM1985's Avatar

Well hello there! :)

I haven't been on this board in quite a while, so I thought I'd log in and give an update to how I am doing.

I remember when I joined on here, I'd just come out as a CD and wasn't sure if I was trans or not. Well I can safely say that I am indeed a transsexual and after a LOOOOONNNNGGGG battle to get health insurance, I'm now working with a doctor to start hormone replacement therapy, which will be completely covered. In the meantime, I am completely out and open about who I am. I thought long and hard about some choices that I would have to make, and as such I made the decision to be visible while transitioning. I know a lot of TS girls want to stay stealth and that's perfectly fine, but after viewing the way I get treated out in the world and how my area seems to have a massive disdain for the trans* community at large, I feel that being out and open will do a lot for helping to bring about acceptance for our community as people can see that I'm not really any different from a genetic female, other than my being born with a few extra attachments.
    In fact, my mom has become one of my biggest supporters, bragging on about her "oldest daughter" and recently when a distant relative told her that he didn't know she had a son, my mom went off on him saying that she doesn't. She has two daughters. It made me feel great.
    I came out to my father and his wife, and both are behind me 100% as I go through this. My dad even introduced me as his daughter to people at a recent funeral.

I have had my name legally changed to Jessica and once I get the all clear from the endo, my primary physician has already said that she will sign off on my getting my gender marker changed. Also, I get that it may not have been everyone's first choice in their transition path, but I decided to work on the legal side of transition first, then work on the actual physical transition. It drives me nuts as I still have to deal with the whole thick body hair, extra attachments hanging about thing. But I'm kind of forcing myself to put up with it for now because I know that once I'm legally female (I live in a state where SRS or HRT is not required to change your gender marker; you only need a signature on a form from two doctors stating that it is medically necessary) then most of the procedures that I need will become covered by my insurance. I'm not about to put myself into more debt than absolutely necessary to fix a few things that I shouldn't have been born with in the first place. I felt that despite my irritations and dysphoria, I still want to be responsible about the whole thing.

I'm also back in school, this time pursuing a bachelor's degree in organizational leadership. I left my local community college after a bad incident with a transphobic professor, and transferred to a four year university. Now I know it's going to sound REALLY ironic, but the name of the place is Central Christian College. Now I'm not really a religious person, but as paradoxical as it may seem, this place is more accepting of me than the secular community college I was previously attending so far (knock on wood). I plan to run my own guitar cabinet making company, and I also am working to put together a PC tech youtube channel called TransTech. I and another transfemale friend of mine are both nuts about all things involving computers and she has agreed to help me run the channel and make videos. I recently built a very nice computer, and it will be the workhorse on which I start all of this.

So this is what I've been up to while I've been away. I remember someone on here giving me good advice about spending less time on the forum and more time out in the real world. Well I took that advice and it helped really shape and define who I am as a person. I recommend the same advice to other people as well.
    Last edited by Sandra; 02-24-2015 at 03:06 PM. Reason: No need for that comment
    "To deny our impulses, is to deny the very thing that makes us human...." - Mouse from The Matrix
    Love me or hate me, I will always be myself.

I'm just the kind of gal that likes death metal, beer, and "dad" jokes. Oh and I build computers and play PC games.

Welcome back, Jess! Great post!

What Me Worry
    Welcome back glad you are traveling your own path
    To Dream The Impossible Dream.
    Full Time 10/1/2012

Welcome back and wonderful update. Hope the journey continues going
    great.

congrats on becoming who you want to be on your terms.