Thread: Urology Appointment, What to wear?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Silver Member

Urology Appointment, What to wear?

I have an appointment soon with a female urologist for some getting a bit older, plumbing working not as well as before, minor issues. I'm a bit nervous as to what might be done. Now I wear plain panties virtually always and I'm leaning toward wearing them to my appointment. I have done this for routine exam with my GP female doctor but I know this will be more involved in that region so I'm a bit unsure. I think, from what I have read that I will probably be asked to change into a gown for most or all of it so it may be a moot point.
    Anyone been down this urology path?

Banned Read only
    Not the urology path but had I the endoscope inspection for passing blood from the back passage !
    DO NOT wear decent underwear male or female for that one, the after effects are not pleasant !!

My advise is to wear neither or only male ones. Not saying either is wrong, but no room for embarrassment for you, if something is said about your panties. That way you and the doctor can devote all your thoughts to the exam and answering any questions the doctor has. I have worn both panties and boxers to the doctor and boxers work best for me, if that helps.
    Last edited by Amy Lynn3; 02-25-2015 at 10:15 AM.

Banned Read only
    I'm not sure what your concern is. Just wear some male jocks, My female GP has a regular look at woodie to monitor "Fordice Spots" totally benign and normal BTW....I am totally prepared to start thinking of cold Canadian winters, like this friggin' one, but it hasn't been a problem.

I'd say wear what you want. You are ultimately paying for the service, no?
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

If you're looking for support for your desire to wear panties, then wear panties and realize that you must accept all the possibilities that go along with doing that. Too me, it's simply not worth the potential problems that go along with that idea. The simple answer is to wear boxers; if you're having urinary tract problems, they may do a procedure and you may come out with a catheter, and wearing boxers will make wearing a 'leg bag' much less annoying than having to deal with threading the catheter through tight briefs and getting it to drain, then it clogs up and you wind up with a midnight visit to the E.R. to get the roto rooter to clear it (been there done that). You're not going to a fashion show. Wear what works. You can come home and change as soon as you're finished. Just consider it like wearing a raincoat if it's raining; utilitarian. Designed for the purpose.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

More than likely, naked under the gown.

I just don't do under dressing at the doctors, I want them to focus on my real problems.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I had a slightly elevated PSA, but no problems, and recently underwent an examination with my male urologist. If your urologist subscribes to the same clinical manual that mine did, it will be very straightforward: After filling out your insurance forms and next of kin information, you'll be asked to fill out a form about your medical history. You will probably be called to an examining room where an assistant will draw blood for a PSA, and you'll be asked to donate a urine specimen in a cup. Possibly you will have another more urologically history taken by the assistant or a nurse, and then you'll have a conference with the doctor who will probably review everything that had been done up to that point in time. Almost certainly if this is an initial visit, the doctor will do a digital examination of your prostate. The doctor will tell you whether you seem to have an enlarged prostate or not after the digital. Unless you're having serious problems, like being unable to urinate for hours at a time, or blood in your urine, or a high sugar count, or a grossly enlarged prostate, the doctor will probably give you a brief summarization of the findings she has made. He/she might or might prescribe some medication or order some sort of more invasive test. It's rather unlikely that anything in the nature of catheterization will be done at this exam, unless you have some sort of strongly positive findings. You will probably be told that you'll be contacted with the lab results of the PSA, and given a date for a follow-up if you receive medication.

I would suggest that you wear some undergarment which is going to comport with the presentation which the doctor is expecting. You want her to be concentrating on the medical aspects, not whether she thinks your skin tone might go better with lavender instead of hot pink, don't you? :-) The doctor will probably use enough KY Jelly type lube during the digital to make a complete case of your rectal area, and it will leak out afterwards for a while. I wouldn't for that reason suggest you go without underwear. The jelly is water soluble and won't stain clothing, but it can soak through khakis or denim and make it look as if you've had an accident.

I suppose it should go without saying, but shower or douche your bottom before the appointment, and try to move your bowels before hand, I'm sure the doctors don't appreciate it when a patient has fecal material in the prostate area of the bowel.

I have been to many urologists, always a male doctor but usually a female assistant. I think if you're wearing plain white panties I doubt if they will even notice. I prefer to wear male underwear to doctors appointments. For the most part you leave your underwear on. They may give you an ultrasound, the nurse has you slide your underwear down slightly, smears some lubricant on and checks your bladder, similar to a pregnant women getting an ultrasound of her baby. This will be the closest you will get to that experience.

You haven't lived until you've had cystoscopy, they tell you it will be mildly uncomfortable, this is an understatement. It's like a colonoscopy only up your urethra, a much smaller tube thank god. Well good luck and what panties you wear should be the least of it. Hugs Jaymee
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

Silver Member
    Thanks for your insight. I'm talking pain black microfiber bikini/briefs, nothing flashy. I may opt out at the last minute and go with male briefs. Reason for the appt is very minor incontinence so the ultrasound sounds right and a DRE for sure. I'm bringing recent PSA results as well.
    Will advise how it goes.

The only time I ever wear male underwear is at the doctor. I completely understand the girls that say wear whatever makes you comfortable but the way I see it male underwear save both of us a bit of embarrassment. BTW every time I've been to the urologist I've had to drop my pants and get his digit you know where.

it's a doctors appointment...not a fashion show. Wear what you want...they don't care
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Banned Read only
    Wear what you want, just don't go naked. The police seem to have a problem with nakedness.

I recently had bladder cancer. For my first meeting with the urologist I went in male clothes. I went to the surgical center for my procedure in my male persona, but after going through cancer surgery I just decided to do what I wanted so for my follow-up I went in fem. I didn't know what to expect but I have to say my doctor and his staff were all very professoinal and the Doctors only comment was " Don't we look different today." Once you have been through a cancer diagnosis and come out the other side you realize what things are important: other peoples opinions are not it.

I've been on this path for the last 12 months or so...usually try to wear my least obviously fem underwear when I have an appointment but I got caught out big time last week - routine 6 monthly review at the hospital....it never occurred to me that the consultant might wish to make a repeat rectal examination of my prostate. Panties were nothing outrageous but as soon as he said that's what he was going to do I realised that there was nothing I could do about my stockings and garter belt!!!!!

He didn't seem fazed by it...I made a comment straightaway about my alter ego so he was not completely taken aback by what was under my trousers. When we had finished he made reference to it again so I explained and showed him a picture on my cellphone.

By then I was feeling quite recovered from my initial embarrassment...

It really isn't a problem either way 0 these are professionals - they have likely seen it all before and are not going to let it affect whether they do the job properly.

Increasingly I am finding it doesn't matter and I am happy to wear what I am comfortable in.

Life is too short to be constrained by fears about what the rest of the world thinks...just be yourself

Michelle
    xxx

Wear what you want. The doctor should be professional enough to just do their job and not focus on what you are wearing. Personally, if a doctor would have a problem with it then I would not want to see them.

I've worn panties to the urologist even when I knew he'd examine down there. Nothing was said.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Silver Member
    I'm going with the plain black ones I always wear. Heck one of the reasons I wear them is for support for mild vericocele. Thanks to all.

Silver Member
    What is important is the medical issue you are going in for, not the underwear.

I usually wear what in United States used to be called "pettipants". (I think the British have a different term for them). They are loose-fitting panties, with a lace bottom that hits at about mid thigh or a little lower. The first time I went to see the urologist, I was running late, and just gabbed a clean pair and threw them on, without thinking. He didn't seen the least bit fazed by them.

When I last visited the urologist (about three months ago) he did say, "I see you wear loose panties. If you wear other types of panties, you should avoid ones that are too tight because cramping the testicles and penis can cause undue pressure on the prostate when sitting. Those kind are fine, though."

I agree that the cystoscopy procedure is uncomfortable, but it isn't nearly as painful as having a swollen prostate that forces you to go to the ER for a catheter at 3AM! (Incidentally, people in the ER don't care what kind of underwear you have on, and those pettipants work just as well as boxers for comfort and ease of using a catheter and leg bag.)
    Last edited by DorothyElizabeth; 02-25-2015 at 11:59 PM.
    "We don't see things as they are; we see things as we are." Anais Nin

I'm more inclined to wear my regular guy shorts as this is about the exam. You need to focus on that and wearing the panties might not let you if you are worried about wether to wear them or not. To me my health comes first over my dressing.

Banned Read only
    Another case of "risk vs reward." Is it so important to you to wear panties for several hours rather than forgoing them? I'm sure the doctor has seen it all. The last time I saw a urologist (two months ago) I did not have to disrobe totally. The works were clearly visible and available by just laying down on the examination table. If you feel apprehensive, then either wear jockey shorts or wear nothing.

Depends......
    (pun intended)
    ........on how much attention you want to bring to yourself.

Girl underconstruction Paulette's Avatar
    I only wear simple plain bikini panties every day so a trip to the doctors I just another thing that must done. I recently had a couple of surgeries which entailed several appointments and hospital stays and each time I ended up with my panties around my ankles for some form of examination. In each case nothing was said by anyone in the room, as they were busy doing what needed to done medically. I should mention that if you look at Joe Boxer mens bikini briefs they look just like my itsy bitsy bikini panties. The only difference is the thickness of the waist band elastic and the thickness of the material, other than that they look the same. I used to wear men nylon bikini briefs sold at sears before opting for the cotton panties. If you are going to wear panties you just have to won the fact that you are wearing panties and to heck with anyone who doesn't like it. Remember panties are just an item of clothing that covers parts that in polite society are normally covered by a piece of cloth.
    Just and older girl trying to experience all that life can bring.
    "Life is not a dress rehearsal"

OMG, just wear what you want.