Thread: CD's, do u ever think of yourself as an artist?

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Question CD's, do u ever think of yourself as an artist?

I'm directing this toward CD's. Since we dress less often, we r generally used to to spending a lot more time and effort when we dress. TS's r more likely to adopt a set daily routine for dressing than CD's.

The kind of artist I mean is not necessarily because of your makeup skills. Or, your color and accessory matching skills.

It's more about your ability to complete a fem persona/look. And, I don't necessarily mean whether or not u look fem physically or facially when u finish. But, how well u can complete the vision(s) u see in your mind's eye for your fem persona.

Some of us r never satisfied. No matter how good others say we look. There's always room to improve, change, or try something completely new. These days, my mind seems to be flooded with new ideas for Sherry. Some folks tell me I'm an artist. If I am, I'm not a good one. But, I've seen lots of other bad art produced by "artists" that folks paid big bucks for!

Do u ever think of your fem creations as art? (Look at your photos). Or, of yourself as an artist?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

You don't have to be perfect or always satisfied to be a 'good' artist. Art is never finished, only abandoned

Anyway, there definitely is some artistry to it in some cases: the ability to create a certain image of yourself, literally and figuratively.

Banned Read only
    Artist? Yes, I think so; but more in the Jackson Pollock sense:

Splashes of bright colors here and there, with a touch of flair...

The conveyors of said flair are scarves, belts, earrings, bracelets and necklaces that meld with the chosen palette of colors. Solid color dresses, and particularly dark ones, are the most fun to work with as they become the canvas to which the other items are applied.

DeeAnn

MIDI warrior princess Amy Fakley's Avatar
    My personality and mental posture, generally lends an artistic approach to most things. Even if I'm not actively working on "art", it's just second nature for me to ask "what can this say?", "what can make this unique", etc. For whatever reason, at a really basic level, that tends to be the way I make sense of the world.

So in that way I'm an artist. Also I'm an artist in the sense that I do make art (music, anyhow).

While there is definitely skill involved with constructing my feminine presentation, I'm not sure I'd really call it art. I'm not trying to convey emotion, or make a statement or hold up a mirror to society or anything ... I'm just making myself pretty. I just want to look nice, you know? It's not for an audience, it's for me to feel pretty. If you happen to see me, and feel a certain way about it ... well ... ok, but it's really incidental. I didn't do this for you, I did it for me :-)
    "Why shouldn't art be pretty? There are enough unpleasant things in the world." -Pierre-Auguste Renoir

The non-GG next door.... Candice Mae's Avatar
    I've almost erased any trace that I was male...

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy Fakley View Post
    While there is definitely skill involved with constructing my feminine presentation, I'm not sure I'd really call it art. I'm not trying to convey emotion, or make a statement or hold up a mirror to society or anything ... I'm just making myself pretty. I just want to look nice, you know? It's not for an audience, it's for me to feel pretty. If you happen to see me, and feel a certain way about it ... well ... ok, but it's really incidental. I didn't do this for you, I did it for me :-)
    Understood, but I think for me the thought process is:

I put a fair amount of effort into attempting to bring my vision of DeeAnn to life so that you, mere mortals, will bow down in thanks and appreciation...

That about covers it, I believe.

I consider you an artist with your many costumes and series of pictures. I feel once we start taking pictures of our new selves we are creating an art form. Hugs Jaymee
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

I have been an artist all my life....

Mostly B/S.

I have been associated with theatre, fashion and wedding photography and train modelling.

I help my wife with ceramics and pottery and I paint my house.

Oh! yes when the artist takes over with makeup I look like a painted tramp.

As for dressing I only have to think of my catalogue days.

Minimal makeup for me.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I consider myself more of an actor

Part-time girl... Tracy Hazel Lee's Avatar

Maybe I am...

I would more likely call myself 'experienced', versus calling myself an 'artist'. However, I've always liked this way of putting it : My body and face are the canvas on which I apply my colors, shape, and style. If that is enough criteria to qualify being an artist, then I certainly would not be offended if one were to label me as such.
    Tracy Hazel Lee

@URNA @Flickr

I must be an artist, because I'm never satisfied. But I also know there's a point where you just have to go "Okay, we're done" and stop. And in a way, I do think of what I do as an art, an expression of who I am.
    Last edited by Katey888; 03-03-2015 at 02:54 PM. Reason: No need to quote the original post... :)
    Countess in exile
    Keep Calm and Dance to Morrissey
    Z and the Universe
    I'm also on Twitter and Facebook

I have always been artistic, drawing, and creative. Yes, Alice is a work of art.

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48 View Post
    I put a fair amount of effort into attempting to bring my vision of DeeAnn to life so that you, mere mortals, will bow down in thanks and appreciation...
    DeeAnn....

Sherry... yes, I think you are right for some of us... this is perhaps as much performance art rather than something related to our gender identity - but I think they are in the minority here. Most of us are probably a mix of motivations and associated feelings - from the sexual to the feeling of completeness and correctness that many of us speak of. I think it's a mix for me, but if I can finish the overall effect with something that is both presentable, feminine and somewhat attractive to me, in my mind's eye, then it all feels 'right' and anyone else's impression is less important... unless they are truly appreciative of this 'art' and want to throw some of those big, bad bucks in my direction, I could care less if I feel good about me...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

I've never thought of myself as an artist. However, I can really appreciate that artistic skills would definitely be an asset in achieving the desired look.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Sherry yes I do consider what I do when I go full fem as art, I understand I'm not really fooling anyone and that I am male but my alter ego is a form of the female.
    I think that's why I love doing makeup so much I just don't have as much time as I would like to practice it to get my best look.

If I did consider myself an artist, the art critics would ask why I use so darn much paint. "I like it."

Platinum Member
    Maybe something rather primitive and folksy, like Grandma Moses
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Katey888 View Post
    DeeAnn....

Katey x
    Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown...
    Last edited by flatlander_48; 03-03-2015 at 08:22 PM.

there is the canvas-your body,naked,freshly bathed and clean shaven.
    there are the ingredients-various sizes of breast and padding with the right undergarments
    dresses skirts blouses stockings shoes
    accessories like juwelery scarfs and handbags
    face paint and many choices of wigs
    you have no fixed concept but let it flow and see what it becomes.you look in the mirror and if it turns out ok you go out in public and let your audience be the judge and validation.if not ok stay home or try again.
    THIS IS ART AND I PRACTISED IT FOR MANY HAPPY YEARS!!
    where has all the glamour gone?
    marlene dietrich is my idol

With the benefit of not having to doll up do makeup and all of it everyday before going to work like a lot of GG's have to, the process of creating a look can be allowed to be a pleasure in and of itself. It can become a journey and an creative process where the goal is, not to just get it done, but the end result. I think that can qualify as a form of art!

I have taken immense pleasure of this creative process many times. Starting with a "Hmmm ... I wonder if I could look like that!" after seeing a beautiful woman in a magazine, a movie or an advertisement. Most times of course the honest answer was that No, I couldn't! But then again, art is not just to replicate something someone else have done rather to create something new and unique. And in that, I have been successful .. I created something unique!

Of course, there have been times where the comment from anyone seeing the result probably would have been .. "I have never seen anything like it! ... God help us!!"
    But, I have heard that said about other kinds of art too!

- Suzie

I do feel like an artist. I love creating Lisa in all of her permutations...
    Please call me Lisa!

Never.

~Melissa
    ~Linebacker Melissa

Not sure I would "claim" to be an artist. But I would say dressing is a very creative expression. So many "skills" are required to achieve the "look" I desire to see in the mirror.

Skills such as sculpting, painting, combining color in dress and make-up, all to achieve the illusion of seeing a woman instead of a man. The sense of accomplishment when for thise few fleeting moments you really believe there is someone else looking at you in that mirror. Now that's amazing!

I feel it is art. My wife agrees that for me it is a form of creative expression.

No photographers are LGBT or CD friendly. They will refuse to take our photos even if we beautify as hard as possible. For instance Japan is full of Okamas but no one makes them art nor do themselves consider as art. Ordinary Japanese just make fun of them and okamas are used to it