Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walking in heels

Walking in heels

Before I even start this topic no it isn't yet another lesson in how to walk in heels. Ok with that out of the way here is the topic of conversation, in your experiences how many of you were able to walk naturally your first time in heels? In addition what was that first pair(kitten heel, court shoe, etc)? For me it was my first pair, a cute pair of white low heeled pumps, they had a 2" heel and just felt natural the first time I wore them. I was quickly addicted and bought three pairs of pumps the next day including a pair of 4" black patent stilettos which to this day are still my favorite pair.

My first pair was a four inch pump stilleto that I loved I had no issue walking in them right from the start. Today I have some heels that are 6 inches and love them

I must admit I'm not very good at some things in life but I always believe that in everybody they have a least one natural talent and it just clicks! well mine was heels!! I can walk in them all day long no problems and would if I could! My first pair were 4" courts, I have many others now mind you.

I did well. Probably 2" heels, IIRC.
    DonnaT

When I bought my first pair of shoes for dressing, I could not wait to get home and try them on. But we had more shopping to do first lol. Finally my wife and I were in the car and headed home. All I could think about while driving, was that nice new white shoe box on the back seat. Well finally at home, I slipped off my shoes and socks and carefully put the new shiney patent leather 4 inch heels on. Stood up and walked from the bedroom to the kitchen to put the kettle on. At that point I realised that the shoes were meant for me! No trips slips or falls and they were so comfortable I did not want to take them off. Sadly I had no choice as my son was due home soon. I had those shoes for maybe 20 years before finally letting them go due to arthritic knees deciding I needed to stay with flats for the foreseeable future. Trouble is primark now stock size 9 extra wide shoes and a few weeks ago I bought 3 more pairs of heels in anticipation of knee surgery I hope to get soon which will allow me to wear them again.

The most I can wear are 4" heels because I'm already 6 ft tall. What suits me best are 2" heels

Banned Read only
    I've never bought high heeled shoes in first time retail...always gently used. In young days I would just buy them if they seemed to fit. I lost a couple of big toenails that way. Now I wear them for a while in the store before putting my toes and cash on the line. I would never buy footwear online for this reason.
    I've had GG's tell me to keep my toes forward while walking, others have said toes more apart....
    I think you have to look relaxed, which takes practice.

BTW...!!! Make sure you have flats for driving the car. Both for the pedals, but also if you have to get out of the car for a flat or to assist another driver.
    Last edited by ophelia; 03-11-2015 at 03:51 PM.

Iworked my way up from two inch strappy sandals.
    These I had no trouble wearing.
    I eventually graduated to four inch stilettos with little trouble.
    Anything taller has always been a challenge.
    I think anything greater than four inches difference between toe and heel is a challenge unless you wear size twelves or larger.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Will have to visit Primark this weekend for those size 9 's, thanks for the heads up Coleen
    Last edited by Lorileah; 03-12-2015 at 11:04 AM. Reason: no need to quote whole post for that cmment

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Ok I admit it I'm too old to remember back that far lol, but if I do recall I think it was pretty natural for me.
    I think it was a basic pump but don't remember for sure. Yes love heels but do like the smaller ones now and the wedges are wonderful

I have walked with six inch heels. I must say that when out, walking across a parking lot for a fairly long walk was pretty amazing. MY SO told me to take short steps and that helped me keep good balance. Also how to step up or off of curbs. LOL had to do that right in front of a cop. I seemed to have passed that. Although, shorter heels like four inches is easier on your foot. I still like my six inch heels. I'm six feet and look pretty tall in them.

My first pair of white late 80's style granny boots with a 41/2 " heel , I was no expert on them like all the girls in the rock clubs back than but I did on and quickly improved.

1st time walking in heels, yeah, a little awkward. Women/girls the 1st time they walked in them were probably a bit awkward as well. I sometimes see women who rarely wear them but for a special occasion and they do not always look comfortable or natural with it. Some women just do not like to wear them. I do not have any big heels. Mostly I have walked in 3 and 4 inch and now I feel relatively comfortable doing so. Granted, I am not a public dresser, so all of the different terrain issues would likely come up for me. I have worn them all day in the house though, and yeah, after a few hours I can see why women take them off when they get the chance.
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned

Banned Read only
    My first pair were black patent court shoe with a 3 1/2" heel, proved very comfortable and easy to walk in ! All mine now are about 4" and the easiest to walk in are my knee high boots !

Ophelia, I learned very quickly to keep my toe nails very short and rub Vaseline on to keep the skin soft otherwise I can understand your toe nail problem !
    Last edited by Teresa; 03-11-2015 at 05:14 PM.

my first time was a 2" heeled boots at halloween my senior year of high school. i had no issue with them. even walked around in a wet yard without falling or major issues. just this within the last year i've finally started to start dressing. i have 3 in gogo boots i was going to develop into something and are still working on.
    "There's a she wolf in the closet, open up and set her free" - shakira

I have a pair of 2" pumps that I like, at 6' 3" and 74 years old, I'm not going to try anything taller lest I fall and break something like MsVal did a couple of days ago!

Hugs, Bria

Gosh! I dont remember what I tried on first time! It would have been a pair of my mothers shoes, probably heels, but I dont remember anymore. I would not have been more than 5 or so.
    I do recall that she had a pair of stiletto heeled shoes and I remember a defining moment when I realized they fit me! I also clearly remember my disappointment later on when i realized they no longer fit!

As for having trouble walking in heels then no, I have never struggled with that. Always felt very comfortable, as long as the size was right.
    I have had many a pair in 2 to 4 inch and have had a few pairs with a 5 inch heel (no platform). I am very comfortable in up to 4 inch and can wear them all day long. 5 inch is for sitting on a bar stool looking pretty .. like in my avatar

- Suzie

I bought my first pair of pumps about five years ago. I did have trouble walking in them. It was a combination of not being a terribly comfortable shoes and not knowing how to walk in heels. My fiancee helped me in walking properly, sway, etc, and buying better more comfortable shoes also helped greatly.

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    Believe it of not, I still have the first pair of black heels that I purchased many years ago at "Lee Brewster's Boutiqie" in NY city.

They are so comfortable ..... I had the heels re-tipped a couple of times (do people still do that?) and I hate to throw them away.

Platinum Member
    Hi Taralynne, I started walking in my mothers heels at a very young age at 72yrs. old they just feel absolutely so normal
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

My first pair of real heels were 2 inch pumps. They were no real problem walking in, but they did present a little pain after walking in them for several hours. The real challenge began when I started wearing 3 inch heels. It took several attempts to be graceful walking in them. I have tried walking in 4 inch heels, but they tend to be uncomfortable within a short period of time'

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    Walking in heels just came naturally to me. I remember thinking that I was the only boy in the world sneaking around in my Mom's and Grand-Mother's heels. Crazy.
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Anything under 4" I consider flats! However, I used to destroy the tips of my spikes in no time when I first started dressing. I bought a package of 50 spike tips to repair all my ruined ones.

Then, I guess I learned how to walk in them. Because I haven't ruined a tip in years!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by Petra222 View Post
    Will have to visit Primark this weekend for those size 9 's, thanks for the heads up Coleen
    Take a look around the whole store. it needs to be one of the bigger town stores for a full range. i use the one at Lakeside, as the local one only stocks a few items. Also look on the tights section, they do a nice pair of fleece lined leggings that a fantastically comfortable.

I admit to both my wife and i spending loads of cash there and most of our shared clothes come from there too.

Oh, and another heads up for UK members, Poundland do a large amount of make up including a new range of stuff.

Lucky me, I was really into the guys block high heels in the 70's, my favorites were 3" high. So by the time I bought my first pair of pumps, walking was a breeze. Classic black with a 5" stiletto. They are worn out, but can't throw them out. Second pair was a pair of 9 west loafers with 41/2" stacked heel. Loved them use to wear them even in guy mode. Recently I have fallen in love with strappy heels. Hugs Algoma
    "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart." Helen Keller