Thread: I have legally changed my name

I have legally changed my name

I went to see a solicitor in Tamworth (Staffordshire, England) this afternoon

I entered the building as plain old Phillip James Bryant, signed a piece of paper, watched the solicitor sign the same piece of paper, paid my fee, and left the building with the legal name Susan Gina Foreman!

Strange thing is...I don't feel any different!!!!!

*Oh, if you are wondering, I have been using the name Susan Jackson since I started dressing, back in the early 70's. When it came to making it legal, I had a change of heart, and became Susan Foreman. If any fans of 'Doctor Who' are reading this, you may remember that Susan Foreman was the name of the Doctors very first companion when the show started in 1963
    People try to put us down
    Just because we get around

Well nice to meet you SUSAN!!!!!!

Welcome Susan.
    My parents should have known something wasn't quite right when I kept putting Kens' head on Barbies' body Rachel Smith May 2017

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIZE="3"]Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Dan Stanford[/SIZE][/SIZE]

I used to feel like one in a million now with this forum I feel like one OF a million

“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” ― Joseph Campbell

Congratulations, Susan! But, did you call William Hartnell, "Grandfather"?

Hugs,

Leah

Hi Susan

Well done, I'm sure your new name will make you feel a lot different when the mail comes along addressed in your
    new name and every time you are called out by your new name it will feel different

Good luck and best wishes

Banned Read only
    A pleasure to meet you Ms Foreman. It really isn't noticeable until you get out in the world and people start calling you by that name. I remember sitting in a doctors office and the nurse called out for the next patient. Jorja Dewitt she called. Everyone looked around at each other. Then it dawned on me, that was my new name.

Congratulations, Susan! It must be great to finally get rid of that old persona.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorja View Post
    I remember sitting in a doctors office and the nurse called out for the next patient. Jorja Dewitt she called. Everyone looked around at each other. Then it dawned on me, that was my new name.
    Heh, I recently had the exact opposite happen to me. I'm living pretty much off the grid, so my feminine (but not yet legal) name is all I hear. A few weeks ago I had to go to a bank. It took me a while to remember that person they were calling was supposed to be me.
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 03-12-2015 at 12:46 AM.
    Life is a dream we wake from.

Congratulations, Susan!

Gold Member
    Wonderful choice for a name! Congratulations! I found that I adapted to being called Sue real easy because I had been hearing it for a while. The she's and her's took a little adapting just because I would pause and go, yes that is me.

Congrats on the name change.

OK, wait a minute, you go in, sign a paper, get it witnessed, and that is it?
    Here in the colonies, at least in my neck of the woods, its piles of paperwork, followed by money, and more paperwork and court dates.

PS: I'm more of a Sarah Jane Smith fan myself
    Warning: This post may contain up to 63% post consumer recycled Sarcasm ... or Peanuts."
    "Sammy, really next time do try to make your point without being quite so abrasive." -RD

Untitled
    Sammy

In the UK, you can change your name, legally by declaring on a piece of paper that you renounce your former name in favour of XXXX. The most common way is using a deed poll which is the most recognised form of name change other than marriage

The cost is negligible, I think I paid £70 when I did mine and that included about 5 certified copies which were required to change bank details, driving licence etc, photocopies are not accepted by a large number of entities that require a name change.
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

Congratulations, Ms. Foreman. It is funny how such a big moment can be so anti-climactic, isn't it? Ultimately, we are still the same flesh and blood as before. Nothing has fundamentally changed in us. It's not unlike changing our clothes and expecting something more from it. We are still the same underneath, the same person in our heads. The difference here is that most people come to consciousness as young people with a name already assigned by our parents. With us, we get to change that, but then we have to get used to it as well. This name thing is ultimately just an arbitrary label. But it is important to those around us in anticipating who we are (at least to a degree), so welcome to your new label. Just don't forget to answer when your new name is called out. That new label is now you!

Karen

Congrats Ms. Foreman. Enjoy getting used to your new name.
    Hugs

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Being somewhat humble (really?) should I now tug my forelock to the lady foreman?
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Untitled
    Pardon me Susan, it was rude of me not to add my congratulations in my earlier post.
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

Thank you for all your kind comments and welcomes!

Today was the first opportunity I had to go into town, and visit the bank and my GP to inform them of my change of name, and to alter my records

When I got to the bank, I spoke to the lady, and showed her my change of name documents and my psychiatrist letter, conforming I was transitioning

After she had changed the information on the computer, she looked at me and asked: "So, are you a Miss or a Ms"?

I was in jeans, t-shirt, no make-up and a bit of stubble on my face

"Miss", I told her

"Miss it is", she replied"!
    People try to put us down
    Just because we get around

Elegance Personified katie elouise's Avatar
    Congratulations Miss Susan Gina Forman .I would love to see the look of joy on your face when you start to open correspondence with you new name on it ,or when asked to provide your name and address for whatever reason !!! Enjoy your new title Miss . Katie X.

cisgender gal
    Cross another thing off your transition to do list. Congrats, now legal SUSAN.

Pleasure to meet you Susan and congrats. That is one step out of the way.
    My parents should have known something wasn't quite right when I kept putting Kens' head on Barbies' body Rachel Smith May 2017

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIZE="3"]Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Dan Stanford[/SIZE][/SIZE]

I used to feel like one in a million now with this forum I feel like one OF a million

“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” ― Joseph Campbell

Here in Oregon USA, there is a longer process, but not much harder. Our name changes must be put into a public place (usually on the wall of the county courthouse) to allow for comments for awhile and then go before a judge before it is done. We also do not require a psychiatrist, or a surgeon's statements.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

Lol. Trust Dr. bloody Who to remind me how old I am, I remember seeing the first episode when I was seven years old. I am slightly older now than William Hartnell was when he was fussing his way around the Tardis. I hope I look as good as the present Dr. does when I hit my early nine hundreds.
    ps
    Hello Susan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hi Susan!
    Smile! You'll always brighten someone's day, including your own from their return smile!

Hello and congrats Miss Susan Foreman.

Banned Read only
    hello miss susan g. foreman on your new name.