Thread: One possibly 2 ticks off the bucket list

One possibly 2 ticks off the bucket list

This coming week I have the chance to spend some serious Helen Time, 5 possibly 6 days out of 7 if things go to plan. I’ve been lucky (and don’t I know it) to have been in this situation before so each time the opportunity presents itself I set a target of pushing the boundaries of my experience ever wider.

I did my research and found there’s a support group that meets in the area I’m staying in during the week and I’ve contacted the secretary to ask if it’s OK for me to attend the monthly social, the reply being a welcoming yes.

So if the planets align and nothing goes amiss then Helen will get to meet face to face with kindred spirits for the first time. To say I’m looking forward to it, albeit with a little sense of trepidation, is a bit of an understatement. I've been pondering what to wear for weeks! I fact any advice as to the normal dress code for this sort of thing would be welcomed. The group meet in a hotel bar if that helps.

Another thing on my to do list is to set foot enfem into a shop. I’ve window shopped with the best of ‘em and hovered near to those enticing bright lights but never crossed the threshold. Whether I’ll chicken out (again) only time will tell but a soul needs goals to aim for. If I’m truthful, my dream is one of my new found friends will offer an arm to cling to but if not I hope I can muster up the courage and fly solo.

Wish me luck, I’m going in!
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Good for you, Helen! I wish you every success.

Good luck Helen - you'll be absolutely fine and you'll enjoy it!

As for advice - I can't think of anyone who really needs it less than you.. You're out and about in the vanilla world - I'm sure you can have a good stab at what 'Hotel bar wear' in the Midlands will be... just don't think 'Crossroads'..!

But I'll give you my view...

- Ball gown and opera gloves? No.
    - Leather micro-mini and leopard print, off-the-shoulder top? No.
    - Smart casual (unless they have a dress code)? Yes!

I think it's most important to wear what you feel comfortable in and what you think is right for a hotel bar... My experience is that they can be quite variable, but this time of year, a knitted top, jeans or a knee-length denim skirt and boots and my warm coat would do me..

Do let us know all about it...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Banned Read only
    Helen,
    What to wear does pose a problem first time, it's something I'm hoping to have to consider soon ! I guess the secretary will give you some guidance as she'll want it to go well for you without making some real mistakes ! I found some useful combinations in Next which were nice and could easily be worn afterwards .
    I haven't crossed the threshold dressed but it hasn't stopped me shopping and enjoying it !

Platinum Member
    Good luck and resolve!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Good luck.
    And if you find yourself in a ladies clothing shop, you can't try on dresses in the mens changing area, as they don't have one
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Hello Helen
    Try small things first "packet of mint in a mini mart or some think small from boots"just so you can get the feeling (MORE LIKE *$%^ YIPPEE!)
    then have ago at some think bigger go into m&s and pick up a t-shirt, skirt or a nice top you don't have to try it on (MAY BE NEXT TIME) just get the feel of the
    way things are going with the s/a.
    May be after 12 hours you might of come down off that cloud to do it all over again?.

GOOD LUCK

Carolyn xx

Helen,

My distinction here is between a pub and a hotel.

One has plastic and glass for decoration, so possibly a smart dress.

No atmosphere either.

The other is wood and ornaments, friendly atmosphere and I would dress casual.

By the way, I don't drink but I love pub food. and they do serve orange juice.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Hi Helen,

I only saw this and noticed you started the thread last week. How did you get on? I hope you had a great time and managed to tick both off of your list.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Helen,

Sounds like a great way to tick a few items off the bucket list. Walking into a shop is not that difficult it just getting over the threshold but once you are in, just breath and go about your business. Good luck!

Hugs

Isha

Thanks all for the words of encouragement.

From my correspondence with the group secretary it seems some of the ladies change at the venue and given I need to drive there I can hedge my bets by having a reserve outfit in the car. I have a smart casual combo in mind that I'd wear with 2" kitten heeled strappy sandals. I'd like to have the opportunity to wear some higher courts so they will be part of the reserve. Driving also means no drinking so no dutch courage for me but that's not a bad thing.

Carolyn, your suggestion about pick and go is a great one. Trying on may be pushing it for a first time.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Hello Helen
    How are you getting on with your time off (did you get the mints?)
    did you push the envelope further this time, or are you have such a lovely time you forgot about us for the time being, if you have WELL DONE!.
    hear of you soon.

Carolyn xx

Carolyn
    Still away but plenty to report. I'm saving it up and I'll give a full account of not just the meeting but also the follow up. I think it will take a new thread. Much to say.

You go girl and go big Helen.
    Angie

Wtg Hellen, Good luck lady!!!!
    Bree
    Brandy Mathews

Helen,

I admire your courage. You are an inspiration. Enjoy.

Alice

Good luck.
    I'm not quite there yet, but hope to someday...

Hi Helen, depending where you are in the Midlands (travel time etc) you'd always be welcome at Lynx Ladies monthly meeting (Lincs/Notts border); 3rd Friday of the month.
    Wrt what to wear, almost anything you would go out to a social gathering really; I would stay away from 'fetish', 'goth' and things like that until you have been and observed what other attendees wear. Our meeting is open to all, most girls wear skirt/blouse combo or a dress. Twice a tear at our Christmas and birthday parties then all the bling you want is the thing, ( see my profile pic taken at this Jan's birthday party). If you want details give me a pm or email me.
    Carole

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum posts both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal action.