Thread: "Funeral for a Friend" or "Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow"

"Funeral for a Friend" or "Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow"

It is with a heavy heart, I say goodbye to a dear friend. Ok, I shouldn't really say "friend" since we have always had more of a love/hate relationship but, nevertheless, she had been instrumental in helping me define my feminine self. Sure I've been with many others like her in the past but she was different. She was there for me from the very beginning of my recent desires to learn more about myself and what crossdressing means to me. Now, before I go any further, and before my post gets moved somewhere else, I must tell you that I am talking about...my wig. Her once long, lustrous locks have since turned into tangled tresses which are well beyond any hope of repair. It's about time we "Parted". (Hee hee) But seriously, I purchased her fom a Halloween shop that popped up last October. I walked in and headed stright for the wig isle where I spent about 45 minutes walking up and down the isle trying to find one that met my strict requirements...long, straight and BLONDE. Believe it or not, out of the hundreds of wigs they had, not one even came close to what I was looking for. Feeling defeated, I had turned toleave. That's when I saw her. She was hanging at the very end of the next isle over. My spirits were lifted as I almost knocked over an SA to get to her. I picked her up and carefully examined her to be certain she was the one. She did meet all of my specifications yet there was one minor catch...long pigtails tied with blue ribbons. Then I noticed her name on the package..."Cheap Date". For some reason, she made me think of Crissy from Three's Company but at $14.00, the price was right so I took her home. Although she was cheap and bargin basement quality, she had personality. I'm not sure if I would even have a feminine identity if I never had her. I will always keep her in my heart and I will miss her deeply. Shopping for a replacement starts tomorrow.

Hugs,

Melody
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    - Dr. Seuss

A cute Minnesota girl!! Natalie cupcake's Avatar
    Its hard to say goodbye to someone who means so much. Even if she was a cheap date.

Hi Melody,

I started getting real sad there for a moment until I figured out what you were talking about!

A Tangled mess does not sound too good, and if it started out as a $14.00 purchase, there might not be much point in trying to save it. But .. if you want to, you can try and wash it. I have done that many times with good results. Use a regular shampoo, dont spend money on "special" wig shampoo. Massage the shampoo into the wig without tangling it any more. Rinse and repeat. After that use a good conditioner and massage that into the hair. Let it sit for a few minutes and rinse.
    Dry it with a towel, just by packing it into the towel and squeeze it gently.

Now comes the hard work, with a small brush, untangle the hair a little section at a time. This is easiest done while the hair is still a little wet.
    When all done, leave it to air dry and turn it inside out after some hours.

One warning is that there is a risk with a really cheap, not sewn piece, that they used a non-waterproof glue. That could obviously cause a problem! But that is rarely the case.

Or ... go have a look at www.paulayoung.com They have lots of decent low cost wigs. I have had several from them.

- Suzie

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Yep, I have a $14 favorite that's seen better days. I found this online shop that looks promising. Remishop
    The prices are good enough to buy several at a time.

And, thanks for the good info, Suzie. I might try that before it's bye bye.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Melody,

I have had favourites like you, I usually lose or leave them somewhere.

Wigs, clothing, makeup and jewellery.

I have only ever lost my wife for a couple of hours.
    She is my favourite.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

My condolances Melody. These must be the hardest of times for you. I wish you all the best finding a replacement.

Jeanette

I hate funerals especially those where we say goodby to a friend that has given us so much pleasure. May the cheap date rest in hair heaven and her tangled life be gone forever. Now recover and go buy that next one with the knowledge that this is what the deceased cheap date would have wanted and that is for you to be happy in your remaining years. My sympathy goes out to you Melody in your time of grief. Remember to stay blonde and keep her always in the back of your thought forever.,

Hair today, Gone tomorrow indeed. Sorry for your loss, but
    time to "cut" your loss
    I know you are "dyeing " from it.
    It may "curl" you up.
    Don't "scrunchie" over it.
    There are a lot of "ponytails " around.
    Hugs

Be blunt and get it over with: "Sorry Blondie. We had a good run but it's time for one better suited to me."

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    The wig is really what makes it all come together, IMO. As such, the first one should always hold a special place in your heart. That said, be open to new looks -- I always fancied myself a blonde, but on a whim, I tried red/auburn and haven't looked back ... well, maybe a little ... happy shopping!

Just may be time to let her go. Who knows...the replacement may work better for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Denier View Post
    The wig is really what makes it all come together
    I agree Julie. This wig was always the one thing that brought everything else together. I'm really not that broken up about getting rid of it though. For me, it stands more as a symbol of that single moment I discovered my inner self. The first time I put it on is the first time I ever truly felt complete. I've had a few wigs before, but none of them had ever made me feel that way. So yes , it was just a cheap lil' wig, but I wonder if Melody would even exist if I never had it.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    - Dr. Seuss

Oh my Melody,
    So so sorry for your loss. Cheep Date shall surely be missed. Burial?....cremation?.... Funeral at sea?.... Or like my old pet gold fish Erny, deposited in the porcine mausoleum? I really would recommend the last one. So where do I send the flowers?
    I do know what you mean and what you are getting at. I have my first wig, straight long black and very cheap, but it did define me and who I am and pictured myself. When I got it and first put it on, starring into the mirror I realized my happiness, and my name and personality came flowing into my head. funny how a silly thing like a cheep wig can do that for you.
    Well you have my condolences, so long Cheep Date, parting is such sweet sorrow.
    Sob sob sniffle Victoria D
    When I am still and quiet, people who do not know me think, Oh how cute she's shy.
    People who do know me think, OMG RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola

Oh Melody,

I am so sorry for your loss. Cheap Date was good to you so many times. Please be sure to put more emphasis on the good times over the bad. True friends are able to treat eachother bad at times and not worry that the friendship will be tarnished. I think this is why she had such a wonderful life with you. Remember that she was so different than the crowd. She kept herself distant from the norm by being in a seporate aisle. I'm sure that her love for you will be willing to let you love another. Keep her photos of the two of you together even when you are looking for a new love. Your new love will need to know that your love for CD (Teeheehee--I love the initials!!!) will always be there.

Mourn briefly and get back out there! Find a new love and live some more!

My first wig was not as cheap and she's such a chore to get to cooperate-- she's ALWAYS a hot mess. She's been in a box for quite a while, mostly because I do not have the heart to throw her away. Besides being tangled, I lived in a basement apartment when I first got her. She got a little musty and now she wreaks of that mildew basement smell. My dearest Tiffany was the complete opposite of you fist love; curly, medium brunette and HATED to be put in a pony tail but she has such a warm place in my heart.
    http://www.wigs.com/tiffany-by-louis-ferre.html

I wish you the best of luck finding a new love and we all look forward to the pictures you may post when you settle in too.

Hugs,
    -E

PS: Here's a reputable "Online Dating site" to look into. Many of these available women look like they'll be a good match for you. Some sure do look like "high maintenance" and others are way out of my "price range." But since you've found yourself, it should be worth it to find a good match and don't be afraid to spend a little on her.

http://www.wigs.com/wigs/womens/wher...limit/all.html
    Last edited by Erika Lyne; 03-19-2015 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Added the PS:
    **Just trying to happily be me.**

Hugs!
    -E